PDA

View Full Version : Driving Down To Death Valley

Andrew O'Neill
20-Jan-2014, 18:03
Planning a trip down to Death Valley, middle of February. Will drive down (from Vancouver, Canada). Planning on bringing various formats along for the ride. Only staying 5 days. Any tips/advice about the area, what to definitely see/not bother with, etc, please let me know. Thank you!

dsphotog
20-Jan-2014, 19:04
Dante's View, Zabriskie Point, and depending on your vehicle, Racetrack Valley

smithdoor
20-Jan-2014, 19:06
It is hot take water, it is the hottest place on earth
FYI where I live it only goes to 114 F Death Valley is a lot hotter
I live less than 200 miles from that spot good luck

Dave

dsphotog
20-Jan-2014, 19:35
On the way to DV, the partially abandoned town of Trona.

David Swinnard
20-Jan-2014, 19:38
Ah, the winter road trip to somewhere not so cold. Something I understand well. I'm envious.

Seriously though, my only trip to Death Valley was in July and we saw the thermometer in the car hit 50C, so February sounds good.

I had borrowed a Hasselblad 40mm from a friend, just in case - turned out to be the right decision. It was the only lens I used.

Have a great trip. (OBTW - Mono Lake (we came in from that way) was worth seeing too)

Keith Pitman
20-Jan-2014, 20:16
This old Ansel Adams book provides a good photographer's overview of the area.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-Valley-by-Ansel-Adams-1970-/181101807749?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item2a2a824885

You can find a signed one on Ebay for a couple of hundred dollars if you're fussy.

karl french
20-Jan-2014, 20:35
Mid Feb will be fine in terms of temp. I'm thinking about a short visit myself around that time. Definitely Zabriske, Dante's View, Golden Canyon and Titus Canyon.

Jim Noel
20-Jan-2014, 20:53
I have spent a lot of time in DV in January. The temperature in winter is very comfortable, usually about 75 during the day and 40's at night.
Don't skip the lesser sites like the Stovepipe Wells dunes, devils cornfield, salt flats, Ubehebe crater, and if the snow doesn't prevent it, the charcoal kilns and surrounding areas.

Merg Ross
20-Jan-2014, 21:20
Which route do you plan to take south from Vancouver and into Death Valley? Where will you be staying while visiting DV? The weather should be comfortable and five days is more than adequate for an initial visit.

You will be in for a treat, especially at that time of year. Have a fine trip!

Andrew O'Neill
20-Jan-2014, 21:44
Silly me, I'll be there middle of March.... oops. I guess I'm just too excited. Merg, we'll be staying in Stovepipe Wells. We'll be heading down through the eastern part of Oregon and down through Nevada.
Everyone, thanks for your input!

JR Steel
20-Jan-2014, 22:18
If your coming south through Nevada and enter the park over Daylight Pass out of Beatty be sure a make a stop at Rhyolite. An old mining ghost town. They have fenced a lot of it off recently but still worth a look. BTW the road through Panamint Vallley to Trona has been closed for months due to flood damage. Also, I live pretty close and it has been a hot (it was 74F today and I live at 3000 feet), dry winter so far. I would expect it to be pretty hot and dry for sure in March. Be sure to carry lots of water everywhere and be aware many of the roads are really rough washboards with sharp rocks. Truck tires are best as opposed to Passenger car tires. Tougher side walls. Have great trip and show us the results.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Jan-2014, 22:37
Thank you for that info!

Darin Boville
20-Jan-2014, 23:54
I love Death valley and the surrounding area. Try to get away from the popular areas. Wander around--it shouldn't be killer hot that time of year but bring extra water and a good map + GPS anyway. If you don't have a high clearance vehicle they rent Jeeps there somewhere. The high clearance road heading to the Racetrack (I forget its actual name) is fun.

--Darin

Tin Can
21-Jan-2014, 00:26
I was going through there one time and, just like in the TV ads they were testing cars. They would blast around in the heat, pull over, erect a little tent to keep spies out and futz with the car, then off they would go like James Bond or MacGyver. It was hilarious, I just wanted to get up the hill and to the ocean.

lab black
21-Jan-2014, 02:04
While everyone has their different experiences, I would suggest exercising extreme caution at any time of the year if you are going out to the Race Track. I suggest two vehicles and to notify the ranger of any travel plans that are off the beaten track. I second the previous suggestions to carry extra water. I would also add extra food, tools and enough supplies to last you a few days. Typically, there is no cell phone service in Death Valley. Rather than me giving you stories, consider calling Jim at Miller's towing in Lone Pine for additional information. 760 876-4000
As for unique places to see, I might suggest;
Aguerberry Point at sunrise
Ubehebe Crater
Wildrose Charcoal Kilns (mid to late afternoon)
Rhyolite ( sunrise or sunset)
Titus Canyon (enter from Rhyolite)
The last two miles of Titus Canyon are spectacular in the late afternoon and at dusk. To capture the last light, one would need to start their journey from Stovepipe at mid-morning to mid-day, depending on how many stops are made.
Fall Canyon is also quite nice, although it involves some walking.
Golden Canyon is also very much worth the trip.
Keep your equipment with you at all times.
Crime is an issue in the parking areas.
The Visitor Center at Furnace Creek is a wealth of great information, books and maps.
Army Surplus type stores in most cities sell large water containers 7-10 gallon. I recommend at least two.
A lifetime is not enough to explore all of the beauty of Death Valley

Mark Barendt
21-Jan-2014, 02:35
Good resource http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Maps http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Tough not to find interesting things there.

Zabriske point is great, and Golden Canyon http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Golden%20Gower%20Loop.pdf

Devils golf course is really amazing, as you walk away from the parking area the ground gets rough quick, but the foot traffic has smoothed it a bit, by 25 meters out it is downright jagged and most pedestrians have given up. 50 meters out it is a darn near pristine crystalline world and everything looks sharp as knives.

Bad Water just down the road is by contrast smooth, it is amazing how different these neighboring plots are.

You don't need to travel far from camp either, the dunes outside Stovepipe are great. Last time I was there I went out before sunrise, just beautiful.

Scotty's Castle is interesting too. http://www.nps.gov/deva/historyculture/scottys-castle.htm

Andrew Plume
21-Jan-2014, 05:32
a tremendous place, literally

I've been a couple of times, never long enough

enjoy

andrew

Mark Barendt
21-Jan-2014, 06:09
Andrew Plume is right, never seems to be long enough.

Building on that thought I'd suggest not rushing around too much.

For example, I have been to Death Valley many times and someday I want to see Race Track Playa but getting there is a big commitment of time especially if I want to enjoy the experience and take a few evening and morning pictures. To do it right I would want to set aside at least 2 days just for that side trip alone.

smithdoor
21-Jan-2014, 06:32
Use full information
Zip code for DEATH VALLEY CA 92328
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/92328
If you use film take all you need with you as it is a long drive (most place in CA have stop stocking film).

Dave

Andrew O'Neill
21-Jan-2014, 09:07
Since I will be going down with my family, we won't be doing anything risky. Mainly roadside and easy trails.

Drew Wiley
21-Jan-2014, 09:21
Feb can be very pleasant. But once the wind picks up (usually in March), fine clay dust can be a real problem and get into everything. So you'll want all your camera and film gear well wrapped. Obviously if you have your camera propped up next to a dirt road and someone comes zipping by in a 4WD it could really mess things up.
But there are lots of places to go to get elbow room, and plenty of paved roads if that is your preference. Also beware of what both salt and high mineral-content
local water can do to lenses. A very different ballgame than in the Northwest. Carry lots of extra water if you're hiking around. It can be a bit crowded in the only
two mini-towns in the area, but if you are properly equipped for a bit of grubby camping, there are all kinds of wonderful places you can pull over for a nite.

Andrew O'Neill
21-Jan-2014, 09:36
Actually, I'll be there in mid March... I usually wrap up my gear, as I've done quite a bit of photography in the sand dunes of Southern Saskatchewan. Very hot, dry, windy place.

Vaughn
21-Jan-2014, 11:42
And I will be there the last week of February...so I'll miss you by a couple weeks.

Enjoy your time there -- nothing specific to all the info you got. Sometimes one just has to keep an eye out for interesting things and go exploring!

The one of the palm -- I just saw the top of the palm in the distance, parked the van, grabbed the 8x10 and went for a look -- perhaps a quarter mile from the road. The other two were in a neat-looking area on the other side of the road. (the first two are platinum prints, 8x10 and 4x10...and the other is an older 16x20 silver gelatin from 4x5).

Andrew O'Neill
21-Jan-2014, 12:48
Thanks for sharing your images, Vaughn.

Sideshow Bob
23-Jan-2014, 10:38
I'll be there around Feb 14th for the full moon. If you see an old guy in a full size white Ford van,stop and say hi.
Mr.Gale

Vaughn
23-Jan-2014, 11:54
Dang -- I'll miss the full moon -- might get a crescent in the early morning hours, I suppose...I won't get there until about Feb. 24th.

Thanks Andrew -- I like tossing in an image in a post...even if it has been posted before.

Both with 4x5, both 16x20 silver gelatin prints. First one was when I just wandered up a canyon until I could go no further (Golden Canyon) and the other from the road (next to the car) in Twenty Mule Team Canyon.

Darin Boville
23-Jan-2014, 11:55
If you see an old guy in a full size white Ford van,stop and say hi.
Mr.Gale

That would describe half the locals--and some of the staff!

--Darin

Andrew O'Neill
23-Jan-2014, 12:07
I'll be there in March, so I'll miss both of you. I might use your tripod holes...

Drew Wiley
23-Jan-2014, 12:39
Aaaah, such memories... back when I was a heat-tolerant kid, hiking across Death Valley by moonlight in May (just a little too hot during the day)... Trying to climb
the steep side of Manley Beacon (yeah.. that was nuts). ... tracing fossils footprints up vertical sandstone walls, in secret parts of the park that officially didn't exist.
Haven't been done there since a few years back when there was a thirty-mile long lake in the Valley. That has happened just once in my lifetime. But the good news
is, if our drought keeps going much longer, the whole rest of the state might qualify to be included in Death Valley Natl Park!

Sideshow Bob
23-Jan-2014, 14:21
Also, the road to the Racetrack is VERY washboard and dusty but you don't need a 4x4.

Mr.Gale

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j440/MrGale69/RaceTrackIntersection_zps027b89b1.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/MrGale69/media/RaceTrackIntersection_zps027b89b1.jpg.html)

Drew Wiley
23-Jan-2014, 14:29
Ha! The road starts to actually get "interesting" AFTER the Racetrack.

Laura_Campbell
23-Jan-2014, 18:03
As another member already mentioned, March brings wind to Death Valley. I recommend taking an umbrella along as it's a useful tool to protect the bellows from wind. A large beach umbrella is pretty swell particularly if there is someone else along to hold it for you while you shoot. There's not much shade in Death Valley and an umbrella of any size will provide relief from the sun which can be rather intense as the temps increase.

Death Valley as you probably already know, is a dry climate. Pulling the slide slowly doesn't always prevent static charge. Treating your film holders with an antistatic solution resolves that issue.

The park is so large, and beautiful and there's so much to see. My favorite locations are Zabriskie, Twenty Mule Team Canyon, and Dante's View.

Have a wonderful visit to Death Valley. It's truly a spectacular place.

This is Dante's View at sunrise in early September. It's a drive-up location. I got lucky that day as there was no wind. It was about 75F when I arrived at 4am. Made with a Wehman 8x10.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2844/9673302027_057497d5dd_z.jpg

Zabriskie Point is easily accessible. An overlook provides scenic views of the badlands. This image was made on a slightly long hike into the badlands (about 6 miles) between Zabriskie and Golden Canyon. Made with a Wehman 8x10.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8066/8209774602_9c1ab612f5_o.jpg

There's a dirt road that winds through Twenty Mule Team Canyon, and there are so many wonderful possibilities there. My favorite areas to shoot from in the canyon are from the tops of the ridges. This was made from one of the ridges which my friends and I call "Thinker's Ridge" looking north. Made with a Wehman 8x10.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8246973093_82fd14f754_o.jpg

Andrew O'Neill
23-Jan-2014, 18:39
Thanks Laura. Photographing in Southern Saskatchewan in summer perhaps was good training for what to expect in DV... maybe. It's quite windy in Saskatchewan after sun up, and quietens down as the sun drops. Is DV similar or is it just windy constantly. If so, I'll bring along my MF gear. I'll also bring along my anti-static spray for my holders... makes 'em smell nice, too. Looking forward to the trip, especially a change of scenery.

Laura_Campbell
23-Jan-2014, 19:57
Hi Andrew,

Yes, it's similar. The wind can kick up during the day between sun up and sun down, but I've experienced wind well into the evening too after sun down. Then again, you might have a week with hardly any wind at all. Death Valley is not constantly windy. I usually visit in winter (Nov, Dec). One year there was no significant wind. The following year there were strong winds every day (cameras blowing over). Yes, bringing an MF camera along is a good idea. I usually do.

Leszek Vogt
23-Jan-2014, 20:27
Andrew, wind has its own utility around the dunes or otherwise you'd be constantly taking images of footprints.

Les

Vaughn
23-Jan-2014, 21:13
And sometimes blowing sand can be part of the image.

On top of the Eureka Valley Sand Dunes, DV National Park (from 4x5)

David Michael Bigeleisen
5-Feb-2014, 17:02
I was in Death Valley quite a few years ago. I had a wonderful time. I stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch. The have a naturally spring fed swimming pool which was wonderful. Don't go anywhere without a camera.

I photographed Zabriskie point at dawn in 4x5, both with color and black and white. You have about ten minutes of good light for this. I stopped by the day beforehand to figure out where to set my equipment up so that I wouldn't have to guess when the right moment came.

You will really enjoy this trip.

David Michael Bigeleisen

ROL
5-Feb-2014, 18:31
What you won't bloody likely be seeing:

Black Mountains, Flooded Salt Flats
http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/Death-Valley/BlackMtSaltFlatsDV.jpg

Trail Canyon, Salt Flats
http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/albums/Death-Valley/TrailCanyonSaltFlatsDV.jpg

5x7, ;).

Steve M Hostetter
6-Feb-2014, 08:28
I thought Ubahebe Crater was neat but thats where I started smelling burnt antifreeze coming from my Ford Taurus.. The car was never right after that ! I would rent a car If I did it again!! Just me I guess. I would spend more time at the dunes then I did . Bad water basin was different but hard to leave the air conditioning that barely worked. Some places on the way down would be better If you find the time Like Bodie and Bristle Cones Pine forest for sure!! anyway have fun and be safe Andrew, I know you will :)

Drew Wiley
7-Feb-2014, 12:47
Ordinarily, you won't be able to get into the Bristlecones any time of year you'd want to be anywhere in Death Valley itself. I do recall one August so cold that Hwy
395 closed from snow right past Bishop, and I actually wore a light jacket in DV trying to find some place warm. A few days before I had my toothpaste freeze inside
my backpack at 12,000ft - that's in August, mind you, during the same cold snap when several rock climbers in Yosemite Valley froze to death on El Cap. But ordinary in August, you've got to worry about your shoe soles actually melting to the road surface in DV. But for the persistant, some of the best country begins PAST
Ubehebe and the Racetrack. Just have a lot of extra supplies and extra spare tires. No place to get stranded.... been there, done that!

Bob Sawin
9-Feb-2014, 15:19
This has been very helpful to me as well. I am driving from Seattle to Death Valley the 1st week of March and plan to spend 5-7 days in the area. I am really excited about this trip.

dsphotog
9-Feb-2014, 16:41
The best part (petroglyphs) of Titus Canyon can be accessed (by normal car) from the highway near Stovepipe Wells.

Vaughn
3-Mar-2014, 12:02
Just got back from my DV trip. Cloudless weather, then rain and 100% clouds, then 90F! Rain on the next morning as I awoke in the Alabama Hills, and rain all the way to Yosemite (dry desert gulches filled with water and heavy rain as I entered Yosemite on Friday, 2-28).

Eureka Valley Dunes were nice -- I went in from Big Pine...some of the road in had huge bone-rattling wash-boarding. Had too much air in my tires as I was set up for the highway -- much better after taking out 10 PSI from each tire. I went with the go-slow method instead of very fast to even out the wash boarding. Less dust that way and there was no hurry.

Exposed the eight 11x14 sheets of film I took, and an yet uncounted number of 8x10's...probably a dozen or more holders used.

Andrew O'Neill
3-Mar-2014, 12:41
Thanks for the update on your DV trip, Vaughn!

blueribbontea
6-Mar-2014, 12:36
I am driving down to Death Valley to be there about May 16th (after classes get out). How bad will the heat be then?

Bill

Vaughn
6-Mar-2014, 12:45
I am driving down to Death Valley to be there about May 16th (after classes get out). How bad will the heat be then?

Bill

In general, expect highs of around 100F (plus or minus 10F). Definitely the start if the 'off-season' time. Lows will be in the low 70's. Actually not much different than the Coulee country just west of you in July.

ROL
6-Mar-2014, 12:49
100+.

Butitsadryheat :D.

blueribbontea
6-Mar-2014, 13:02
Done Coulee country in July. Wish we had more flexibility in timing. Thanks for the responses.

Bill

Drew Wiley
6-Mar-2014, 13:26
As a kid I did all my May hiking in DV by moonlight. Pretty bright with a reasonably full moon reflecting of the clay or salt. Too hot during the day to do much, and
that was back when I was accustomed to heat. Of course, you could always drive up the Wildrose road for some altitude.

Vaughn
6-Mar-2014, 13:46
Done Coulee country in July. Wish we had more flexibility in timing. Thanks for the responses.

Bill

So have I, and during a July heat wave on top of the usual July temps (July 2012). Easily over 105F. After walking around Dry Falls with the 8x10, I was finished by 1pm -- had to head back to the van, rehydrate and head for some shade! At least it was too hot for the rattlesnakes to be out and about!

DV -- Get up early (pre-dawn) and head to a place you'd like to visit/photograph in the early morning light before the heat starts to climb beyond workable. Have a great trip!

blueribbontea
6-Mar-2014, 13:54
So have I, and during a July heat wave on top of the usual July temps (July 2012). Easily over 105F. After walking around Dry Falls with the 8x10, I was finished by 1pm -- had to head back to the van, rehydrate and head for some shade! At least it was too hot for the rattlesnakes to be out and about!

DV -- Get up early (pre-dawn) and head to a place you'd like to visit/photograph in the early morning light before the heat starts to climb beyond workable. Have a great trip!

Thanks Vaughn. Kathy and I once scouted out a location in Rainier that we wanted to shoot at first light, went to sleep in the tent and both woke up spontaneously at about 4, in the darkness, hopped in the car and the timing worked out perfectly. This time maybe we'll set the clock.:)

Andrew O'Neill
22-Mar-2014, 19:18
Everything is packed and ready to go. Out the door at 4 in the am tomorrow, for the long drive down. Wish me luck!

Vaughn
22-Mar-2014, 19:30
Enjoy! If you head back up the coast on your way home, stop on by!

Andrew O'Neill
22-Mar-2014, 19:31
Thanks Vaughn!

Mark Barendt
22-Mar-2014, 19:32
No luck required, you have the skills and it is a turkey shoot.

Just have fun!

Andrew O'Neill
22-Mar-2014, 19:34
Thanks Mark! Hopefully I won't run out of film...

Mark Barendt
22-Mar-2014, 19:38
Thanks Mark! Hopefully I won't run out of film...

There is definitely that possibility.

Tin Can
22-Mar-2014, 20:06
Luck!

Bob Sawin
22-Mar-2014, 20:12
Everything is packed and ready to go. Out the door at 4 in the am tomorrow, for the long drive down. Wish me luck!

I was there two weeks ago and it was perfect...85 during the day and 50 at night. It was a bit breezy but not too bad. The week before I got there the park was hit by heavy rains and some of the canyons were still closed.

Have a great trip and enjoy!

Bob

Andrew O'Neill
22-Mar-2014, 20:49
Thanks Bob and Randy. Well, I'm going down with 100 sheets of 8x10, and lots of 120. If I run out, I'll paint!

Andrew O'Neill
23-Mar-2014, 21:38
Made it to Reno. That was a long drive. Saw many interesting sights along the way but couldn't stop. Looks like we'll bedriving through Lone Pine so I'll be sure give an eyes right to the Alabama hills and Ansel's iconic image!

Bob Sawin
24-Mar-2014, 10:47
Andrew,

Just take it easy on the road from Lone Pine into the park...it is rather steep and windy. Have a great trip!

Vaughn
24-Mar-2014, 11:31
Wimps!-- take the road from Big Pine to Eureka Valley to Death Valley! That way your martinis (and everything else in your vehicle) will definitely be shaken, not stirred!!!LOL!!!

Drew Wiley
24-Mar-2014, 13:49
We're all wimps! It's the people who do the midsummer marathon from Badwater clear up to Whitney Portal who get a good workout. ... then a celebratory BBQ, presumably with already fully cooked human flesh!

Mark Barendt
24-Mar-2014, 14:09
Wimps!-- take the road from Big Pine to Eureka Valley to Death Valley! That way your martinis (and everything else in your vehicle) will definitely be shaken, not stirred!!!LOL!!!

Been there, done that, didn't know any better at the time.

Andrew O'Neill
24-Mar-2014, 14:58
Made it! 34C..... but it's a dry heat! Think I'll take it easy and start tomorrow. Got lots of time.

Mark Barendt
24-Mar-2014, 15:36
Camping?

Vaughn
24-Mar-2014, 16:47
Been there, done that, didn't know any better at the time.

I just did it (again, but the last time was perhaps 20 years ago). I was a little disappointed with what I found at the Eureka Valley Sand Dunes. Becoming part of the National Park system did not improve it much...but perhaps it would be worse under the old system, with the increase use and all. A lot of footprints on the dunes, lots of motorcycles and 4WD doing a big loop that passes right by the dunes...did not see that 20 years ago. More fighter jets than before, too. So it goes!

Andrew -- looks like the weather might be cooler the rest of the week -- with the possibility of some clouds, too! Should be great!

David Luttmann
24-Mar-2014, 21:37
Enjoy! One of my favourite spots.

Andrew O'Neill
25-Mar-2014, 19:28
Staying in a room at Stovepipe Wells. Very nice but wiresless is poor. Sitting in Denny's at Beatty after spending the afternoon at Rhyolite. Made some exposures. Sure was windy! Clouds rolled in and lost the sun for a bit. Went to Zabriskie Point earlier in the dat. Amazing place. Will check it out again tomorrow again. So far it's been a good trip. Can't believe how many Canucks are here. I actually saw someone I know!

Bob Sawin
25-Mar-2014, 19:54
Staying in a room at Stovepipe Wells. Very nice but wiresless is poor!

If you really need I-net go down to Furnace Creek...not bad at all.

dsphotog
25-Mar-2014, 21:05
Since you enjoyed Zabriskie Point....I bet you'll also like Dante's View.

Andrew O'Neill
26-Mar-2014, 09:47
Heading there tomorrow. Watched sunrise this morning at Zabriskie Pt. Very nice. Only a few people there to o. Probably scared away by big wind storm last night. Saw a burro wandering around Rhyolite area! Are they wild there?

Dave Wooten
26-Mar-2014, 09:53
Wild , yes.

Vaughn
26-Mar-2014, 10:01
Artist Drive is also a nice car-friendly place to explore.

ROL
26-Mar-2014, 10:11
If you really need I-net go down to Furnace Creek...not bad at all.

Password? :rolleyes:

Bob Sawin
26-Mar-2014, 13:39
Password? :rolleyes:

I only used it once and did not need a password.

Andrew O'Neill
26-Mar-2014, 16:42
Drove through Titus Canyon. Awesome!

Vaughn
26-Mar-2014, 17:03
Have not done that in awhile -- last time I rode a mountain bike thru it -- but that does not allow for much looking at scenery!

Read your post on the carbron board about the wind. I was lucky at the end of February in DV -- it was not a constant wind, so even with the 11x14, I could wait for lulls to uncover the lens or work the shutter.

Andrew O'Neill
26-Mar-2014, 18:53
Even the lulls have been challenging!

Vaughn
26-Mar-2014, 20:27
DV is a challenge! But I have had more luck there than at the Grand Canyon.

Mark Barendt
27-Mar-2014, 01:39
Even the lulls have been challenging!

That's what Medium Format cameras are for. ;)

On a positive note, the weather report is showing less wind for you Thursday and Friday.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Mar-2014, 12:08
Medium format's for wimps... heh heh.
Yes, much less wind today and not so hot due to very light hazy clouds. Love it! Trip is drawing to a close. Leaving tomorrow at 5am. It's a loooong drive home. Hey, if any of you will be in DV in the very near future, keep your eyeballs peeled for a red filter. I seemed to have misplaced mine!

Vaughn
27-Mar-2014, 12:17
Time flies when one is having fun! Have a safe drive home!

(what size...:cool: )

ROL
28-Mar-2014, 11:18
Hey, if any of you will be in DV in the very near future, keep your eyeballs peeled for a red filter. I seemed to have misplaced mine!

Can you narrow that down a bit, or is this to be the photographer's equivalent of the Lost Dutchman Mine? I be peelin' since I don't generally carry strong filtration, and DV is certainly one place I might consider using some. Hope it's a good 'un! (oh yeah – sorry for your loss :rolleyes:)

Greg Blank
28-Mar-2014, 18:09
I went to Death Valley this past September, I FedEx'd my 4x5 gear to a NV FedEx location. We then drove from Nevada to Death Valley. Upon opening my camera at the hotel that first day I found my camera was seperated from the handle, meaning FedEx dropped it hard enough to crack the ground glass and dislocate the top of the camera where the handle connects. Since I spent the money to ship the camera I thought of how to fix, so I bought crazy glue and used gaffers tape to seal any cracks. So I shot the whole two weeks without a thought further it would be an issue- not once. Getting back I processed the Black and white images, no issues. My advice regarding DV is don't stay out side for an extended period during mid day. We traveled to Bad water basin, and Dantes View among others. The really nice aspect about the early part of my trip was we saw it rain and thunder and lighting in the valley, and through 75 percent of my two weeks we had fairly ineteresting skies. I caught images of a Thunderstorm across the valley at sunset red clouds and some strikes of lightening. If you can avoid buying gasoline in the Valley you will benefit, at the time I think it was 4.50 or 4.75 a gallon :(

Tin Can
28-Mar-2014, 18:17
Sounds like a good trip. Sorry about the camera damage.

You are supposed to sleep in the shade in DV except for night and the magic hours.

As for shipping I often ship my camping gear and now LF gear ahead and ship it back home the same way, while I travel lightly on my bike. Sometimes my wheels need shipping home also...

I went to Death Valley this past September, I FedEx'd my 4x5 gear to a NV FedEx location. We then drove from Nevada to Death Valley. Upon opening my camera at the hotel that first day I found my camera was seperated from the handle, meaning FedEx dropped it hard enough to crack the ground glass and dislocate the top of the camera where the handle connects. Since I spent the money to ship the camera I thought of how to fix, so I bought crazy glue and used gaffers tape to seal any cracks. So I shot the whole two weeks without a thought further it would be an issue- not once. Getting back I processed the Black and white images, no issues. My advice regarding DV is don't stay out side for an extended period during mid day. We traveled to Bad water basin, and Dantes View among others. The really nice aspect about the early part of my trip was we saw it rain and thunder and lighting in the valley, and through 75 percent of my two weeks we had fairly ineteresting skies. I caught images of a Thunderstorm across the valley at sunset red clouds and some strikes of lightening. If you can avoid buying gasoline in the Valley you will benefit, at the time I think it was 4.50 or 4.75 a gallon :(

Andrew O'Neill
28-Mar-2014, 23:18
I got petrol in Beatty. Heaps cheaper. Also ate there too.

Greg Blank
29-Mar-2014, 05:00
We stayed in Beatty at the Atomic Inn, also ate in the 3? places :) there to eat. I also tried Sierra Nevada pale ale for the second time - it is a much different ale when purchased close to the source.

tgtaylor
29-Mar-2014, 07:56
Last time I was in Beatty a large Peacock was trying to get a ride at the stoplight/stop sign. As soon as you stopped he would come running up to the window and look you in the eye asking for a ride.

Thomas

ROL
29-Mar-2014, 08:46
I used to "live" next to a herd of over 40 peacocks. The last time I saw that particular peacock was in my rear view mirror, with tire marks running through it.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Mar-2014, 20:59
Made it home in one piece. Now I've got a pile of film to develop! I think I'll just relax for now...

dsphotog
29-Mar-2014, 21:22
Glad to hear your home safe....
It seems all photographers need to rest after a "vacation".

Leszek Vogt
30-Mar-2014, 02:55
Glad you got back home alright...the border can be a large hiccup at times. We are looking forward to seeing some of those rainbows and unicorns.

Les

Andrew O'Neill
30-Mar-2014, 07:51
No rainbows or unicorns... maybe just the odd burro or too.

dsphotog
30-Mar-2014, 10:21
Last time I visited Ryolite, the only fenced areas were the "bottle house" & the "railroad station". I heard ALL the buildings are now fenced, is that true?
It's been quite a while since I've been there.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Mar-2014, 10:29
Yes, those were fenced off, but a few are not. The fence around the bottle house was odd. Almost looked like it was electrified. I was disappointed to see the huge fence around the train station... but probably necessary to keep vandalism down. That was a cool building. I also really liked the jail (not fenced).

dsphotog
30-Mar-2014, 11:06
Thanks for the report,
I've always wondered if a "photo tour" of the railroad station interior could be arranged.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Mar-2014, 11:45
Here is a link to a website showing interior shots: https://rhyolitesite.com/depot.html

dsphotog
31-Mar-2014, 10:32
Thanks!
Lotsa good stuff on that site!

Andrew O'Neill
1-Apr-2014, 10:20
I went in my darkroom last night and looked at the pile of film holders and another box with at least 30 8x10 sheets in it...Shot too many backups! 2 sheets down and many more to go. I only have two tubes so this will take a while. Oh, then there's all the rolls of 120!

Curt
1-Apr-2014, 23:35
Andrew, what film did you use in 120?

Andrew O'Neill
2-Apr-2014, 07:25
TMY-2 and Ilford SFX.

Vaughn
2-Apr-2014, 08:23
Just did a count of my DV film (all still need to be developed!)

8x10: 16 different set-ups, 27 sheets of film
11x14: 5 different set-ups, 6 sheets of film (one ruined when I knocked the tripod and the small box I use as a shutter fell off the lens)

Hopefully this week I can start developing...if not, at least next week! Oh...and a few rolls of 120 (Acros)

Andrew O'Neill
2-Apr-2014, 14:10
I ruined one too. I exposed over a previously exposed sheet.... aaaaaaaaah! Rookie mistake. But that can easily happen when you have a holder with exposed film on one side and unexposed on the other and in a hurry!