PDA

View Full Version : Paterson Safelight with "VF" Dome, any experience?

Matthew Cordery
9-Sep-2004, 12:09
In researching safelights for the as yet unbuilt bathroom darkroom, I came across the Paterson Safelight with "VF" Dome. Seems kind of perfect since it's small and inexpensive and I can put it almost anywhere in the bathroom, including behind the toilet on the floor if need be. ;-) Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any opinions about it. I was looking at the version with the copper/brown filter for VC paper.

Gem Singer
9-Sep-2004, 13:19
Hi Matthew,

The type of safelight that is presently hanging from the ceiling in my bathroom darkroom is a Premier 10X12, with the Ilford 902 filter, utilizing a 15 watt bulb. For many years, in several bathroom darkrooms, previous to to the one I have now, I used a Premier 5X7 safelight, with the OC-amber filter and a 15 watt bulb, mounted on a wall or countertop. The Premier safelights are made of metal, use standard household bulbs, and are relatively inexpensive, as safelights go. The 5X7 Premier is less costly than the Paterson and gives off a much brighter light. The Premiers are also very versatile. They can be mounted on a wall, a counter top, or hung from the ceiling. I have never had a Premier test un-safe for printing paper of any type. I highly recommend them.

John Cook
9-Sep-2004, 14:20
Sorry, I have no first-hand experience with the safelight you mention.

However, here is something I stumbled across the other day. Although intended for signage, the red and amber LED Festival models @ $36 each are said to be both very bright and completely paper-safe. Screw right into standard sockets. Neat!

Here is the manufacturer’s home page:

http://www.optiled.biz/indexmore.html

And here is the specific product page. Go to the bottom to the Festival Model:

http://www.optiled.biz/products/products.html

Here is the order page:

http://www.optiled.biz/opti/ItemMatrix.asp?CartId={2DBB49DC-C157-477E-EVERESTBD1A-A86FB50ABA83}&GroupCode=FESTOON&eq=&MatrixType=1

I am very tempted to give them a whirl...

Bob._3483
9-Sep-2004, 17:49
The downsides with this type of safelight are that the plastic can become brittle and split over time (a few years) from the heat and likewise their colour can shift. Also, because of the lack of ventilation, the bulbs run very hot and tend to blow, so keep a spare. I currently have exactly this model over my wet bench, but it has not been there long enough (6 months) for me to comment beyond the observation that it works. I intend replacing it with an LED based light when I get around to it. LED lights can generally be brighter as they emit only a very narrow band of colour which does not shift over time. The LEDs themselves will outlast me and don't mind being switched on & off every few minutes.

Bottom line: if you want to spend the money, go for LED as it is less hassle and brighter, but if not, get the Patterson - it works fine.

Happy printing! Cheers,

George Hart
10-Sep-2004, 10:56
Matthew, I have this filter for my Paterson safelight, but I understand that it is no longer sold and the red filter is all that they currently supply. Evidently there was a problem with fogging with the brown filters. I haven't done sufficient tests to know, but I was happy using it under conditions where the safelight wasn't critical (ie the paper never got close enough for long enough to matter). You can certainly see a bit better with it compared with the red filter. But I do hanker after one of those solid jobbies that hang with chains from the ceiling, and take real glass filters!!!