PDA

View Full Version : Warmest tone paper still available?

ryanmills
19-Jan-2014, 20:00
Are there any really warm tone papers still available? FB or RC? So far i have just tried the ilford RC but its a pretty light warm tone.

vinny
19-Jan-2014, 20:10
The developer/toner plays a part in how warm too.

ryanmills
19-Jan-2014, 20:24
I have a few different types of selenium but I have not tried them yet. I am using dektol thou I might try something else similar to it if there are suggestions.

Peter Gomena
19-Jan-2014, 21:46
I'd start by trying Ilford's warm-tone developer. Alas, Kodak Selectol and Selectol-soft are no longer. A quick check of the Freestyle website shows a house brand (Arista), Moersch, Photographer's Formulary make warm-tone developers. Look for warm-tone formulas in the APUG.org articles section. Dektol is a neutral-tone developer that doesn't bring out the best in warm-tone papers. It tends to produce a slight greenish cast with some papers that can be tamed with selenium or other toners. The developer does make a difference.

ryanmills
19-Jan-2014, 23:35
Thanks I will give that ilford a try.

andreios
19-Jan-2014, 23:45
Try Fomatone, from my limited experience with Ilford I'd say fomatone is warmer even in neutral developer, in a warmtone dev. it is almost too warm for my taste somehow.

Bruce Barlow
20-Jan-2014, 02:36
Try Ansco 130 as a developer. Formulary has it. It is very warm tone, has huge capacity, and lasts forever. I mixed it up and divided the gallon into 1-litre bottles. leaving no air. Two years later I pulled one out and used it. It was still just fine.

IanG
20-Jan-2014, 03:57
The Foma warmtone papers are the warmest currently available, Ilrford warmtone papre can give very warm results as well. Use a developer like ID-78 or Ilford Warmtone and remember to keep development to a minimum and over expose to compensate.

Here's an example of Fomabrom III in ID-78 (http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/photography/formulae/developers/devID78.htm) The link shows the image against a neutral grey scale.

http://www.lostlabours.co.uk/portfolios/portfolio_images/rhodes02.jpg

Ian

Philippe Grunchec
20-Jan-2014, 04:15
Ian, Fomatone is much warmer than Fomabrom!

mihag
20-Jan-2014, 06:14
Fomatone 131 (glossy), 132 (matt), 542II (smooth, non-glossy, yellow base) and 532II (smooth, non-glossy, warm white base) for FB and 331 and 332 for RC are the warmest papers on the market.

IanG
20-Jan-2014, 07:18
Ian, Fomatone is much warmer than Fomabrom!

My mistake the print is on Fomatone MG Classic 131 :D

Ian

Drew Wiley
20-Jan-2014, 14:55
You'll get the most warming by toning with something brown afterwards. 130 works well with MGWT for that kind of thing, but not Dektol. But a warm image should
not be confused with a warm base or cream paper.

Toyon
22-Jan-2014, 15:41
Oriental warmtone is very warm, almost reddish in Selenium.

neil poulsen
22-Jan-2014, 22:57
I'd start by trying Ilford's warm-tone developer. Alas, Kodak Selectol and Selectol-soft are no longer. A quick check of the Freestyle website shows a house brand (Arista), Moersch, Photographer's Formulary make warm-tone developers. Look for warm-tone formulas in the APUG.org articles section. Dektol is a neutral-tone developer that doesn't bring out the best in warm-tone papers. It tends to produce a slight greenish cast with some papers that can be tamed with selenium or other toners. The developer does make a difference.

Great look! But, it needs some selenium toning to diminish some green that emerges.