PDA

View Full Version : I'm opening a (physical) photo gallery

Darin Boville
19-Jan-2014, 17:38
Just a heads up to let people here know that I will soon be opening a photography gallery--a physical, built of metal and wood, honest-to-goodness photography gallery.

It is located in the small, coastal town of Half Moon Bay in northern California--not far from the famous Mavericks surf wave, the one they named the new Apple operating system after. It is located in a funky but cool building on what is essentially the main access road into town. It's got issues--a little hard to pull in and out for one, if you are crossing traffic, but the rent is right and it will be a great place to experiment with a lot of ideas of showing, sharing, and selling photographs.

Thousand of people will drive right by the gallery--and see my large road sign--every day. Every Facebook, Google, Apple, Oracle, etc employee who goes to the beach will see the sign at some point--it is essentially the only road to the beach from that area--not to mention the thousands of domestic and international tourists. Maybe a few people will stop and see what is going on.

Initially I will carry just my own work but the minute I see that people are stopping and looking I want to start carrying work by other photographers, too. My goal is to be different than other photo galleries--easily achieved since I know next to nothing about running a gallery--but I have a number of other ideas and I hope to hear yours, too.

As I said, it will be an experiment.

I would also like to brainstorm with all of you here about what else I can do to make this experiment exciting and fun. Classes, demonstrations? Talks, slideshows? Video photo history archive? Photographer wine drinking club? :)

What I'd really like is to find people interested in leveraging my gallery and to work with me to help out or lead a project that benefits the photography community.

I'll be putting out a proper call for artists--don't send work now--but my current thinking is to focus--in terms of what I carry for sale--on landscape photography, first related to the San Mateo Coast, then California, then landscape in general. But I'm open to ideas. Traditional methods and modern--even video--will all be welcome.

Anyway, I'd love to talk more about this and I would love to hear your thoughts on how to make this adventure the best it can be. I'll post more--and ask many questions--as time goes on.

vinny
19-Jan-2014, 17:45
The best of luck to you!

Mark Sawyer
19-Jan-2014, 17:55
Congratulations! And the very best of fortunes!

Have you given any thought to the gallery's name? Perhaps "The Center For Photography Done With Cameras Bigger And Better Than Yours"? :rolleyes:

brian mcweeney
19-Jan-2014, 18:36
I had to Google map it but it looks like an awesome place!
Best wishes and success in 2014 to you.

h2oman
19-Jan-2014, 19:12
Every few years I get down to my cousin's place in Pacifica. I'll put a visit to your gallery into the next trip.

Leszek Vogt
19-Jan-2014, 19:57
Congrats. Darin, have you checked what's what in the nearby localities 20-30-40 miles ? It may give you a clue what's missing in that market. By March/April peeps will be traveling and you'll have avalanche of peeps rolling through the door....you will need Ries tripod to beat them away....and then you can quietly have a brewskie or 10;). If that was my space I'd (also) include various Calif icons, but done in such innovative way that will stop people in their tracks and gasp WOW. The coast has this untapped possibilities for landscapes from beaches, to interesting rocks, to marine fog, etc, etc. No doubt one could see some of that in Mendocino's galleries...and I'm pretty sure you're aware of that. Best of luck.

Les

Tin Can
19-Jan-2014, 19:57
Congratulations and good luck!

I am too far away to ever see it, but I like the idea a lot, I am so weary of online galleries.

I'm gonna Google street view this, it's how I travel unfortunately...

Erik Larsen
19-Jan-2014, 20:17
Wonderful to hear it Darin, best of luck! I love to hear of people willing to open up new photography galleries. It looks like you have some wealth in the area which could make for a happy gallery. Congrats!
Erik

gregmo
19-Jan-2014, 20:20
Congrats! Best wishes with the new endeavor.

Bill Burk
19-Jan-2014, 21:17
Congratulations! I'll stop by for sure.

Jon Shiu
19-Jan-2014, 22:19
Good for you!

Jon

Amedeus
19-Jan-2014, 23:17
Congrats ... I'll stop by on my next visit to HMB ...

Bruce Barlow
20-Jan-2014, 02:44
As an idea, you might want to read Ted Orland's "The View from the Studio Door," and pay special attention to his chapter on The Salonistas. He gathers a group of artists together monthly to show-and-talk about what they're working on, beginning with a pot-luck supper. In recent correspondence with him, he told me that he's been doing it for 20 years in nearby Santa Cruz. It sounds so good that I'm going to start one here in Maine as soon as my house is built. Using a nice gallery space as a venue sounds delightful, at least it does from 3,000 miles away. The population density and diversity of artists in that area would imply to me that a good group could evolve.

Good luck!

Andrew Plume
20-Jan-2014, 03:12
well good luck Darin

and over here, the possibility of a 'new pure analog' gallery opening up, is sadly almost nil - digital yes..........................

regards

andrew

Regular Rod
20-Jan-2014, 04:48
Just a heads up to let people here know that I will soon be opening a photography gallery--a physical, built of metal and wood, honest-to-goodness photography gallery.

It is located in the small, coastal town of Half Moon Bay in northern California--not far from the famous Mavericks surf wave, the one they named the new Apple operating system after. It is located in a funky but cool building on what is essentially the main access road into town. It's got issues--a little hard to pull in and out for one, if you are crossing traffic, but the rent is right and it will be a great place to experiment with a lot of ideas of showing, sharing, and selling photographs.

Thousand of people will drive right by the gallery--and see my large road sign--every day. Every Facebook, Google, Apple, Oracle, etc employee who goes to the beach will see the sign at some point--it is essentially the only road to the beach from that area--not to mention the thousands of domestic and international tourists. Maybe a few people will stop and see what is going on.

Initially I will carry just my own work but the minute I see that people are stopping and looking I want to start carrying work by other photographers, too. My goal is to be different than other photo galleries--easily achieved since I know next to nothing about running a gallery--but I have a number of other ideas and I hope to hear yours, too.

As I said, it will be an experiment.

I would also like to brainstorm with all of you here about what else I can do to make this experiment exciting and fun. Classes, demonstrations? Talks, slideshows? Video photo history archive? Photographer wine drinking club? :)

What I'd really like is to find people interested in leveraging my gallery and to work with me to help out or lead a project that benefits the photography community.

I'll be putting out a proper call for artists--don't send work now--but my current thinking is to focus--in terms of what I carry for sale--on landscape photography, first related to the San Mateo Coast, then California, then landscape in general. But I'm open to ideas. Traditional methods and modern--even video--will all be welcome.

Anyway, I'd love to talk more about this and I would love to hear your thoughts on how to make this adventure the best it can be. I'll post more--and ask many questions--as time goes on.

May you have and enjoy every success!

RR

Peter De Smidt
20-Jan-2014, 07:26
Best wishes!

karl french
20-Jan-2014, 08:55
Great. I drive through HMB all the time. Looking forward to stopping by when you're open.

Drew Wiley
20-Jan-2014, 09:43
Good luck, Darin. Hope you can find a good plan to balance overhead with sales. That's the tricky part. But Half Moon Bay is one of the better towns around here
for having a lot of money pass thru it, since it's relatively close to both SF and the Palo Alto area. Most of the Bay area is brutal in terms of commercial leases,
at least in terms of neighborhoods where you aren't dodging bullets all the time. So you might have a good find there. I doubt classes will attract actual buyers,
though that might be fun in its own right. You might inquire whether it is permissible there to put up portable sandwich signboards which direct weekenders to the
location of your gallery. And wine n' cheese can get fairly expensive, and mostly just sells wine n' cheese (for zero profit, of course), and not prints per se. But
you might be able to partner with other local art and food venues for some kind of seasonal fair, if something like that doesn't already exist.

DrTang
20-Jan-2014, 09:48
so

what kind of stuff are you thinking of selling?

David Karp
20-Jan-2014, 10:51
Best of luck to you. I wish you all the success in the world.

paulr
20-Jan-2014, 11:02
It might be interesting to talk to Mark Sink at gallerysink.com in Denver. He's been my dealer for years. I don't know if he'd say he's been successful from a financial standpoint ... he's downsized from a brick and mortar commercal gallery to a non-profit art-space to a private dealership / curatorship run from his home, mostly because of economic pressures. But I don't get the impression he has regrets. He's well connected in the art world, unlike a lot of people who try this (on the board of the new contemporary art museum in Denver, and a former Warhol factory member) so I think his expectations have been realistic. He may have some ideas.

Peter Langham
20-Jan-2014, 12:12
Good Luck. I look forward to stopping by. You might want to check in with the Kozals at Studio 391 in Gualala. It is another artist run photo (and other stuff now) gallery in a small coastal town. They might have some good ideas for you.

Merg Ross
20-Jan-2014, 12:24
Sounds like a dream come true, Darin. You are in a great area, surrounded by a lot of talent if you decide to take work on consignment. I visit Half Moon Bay to dine, now I will have another reason!

Wishing you the best for a successful venture.

Andrew O'Neill
20-Jan-2014, 12:51
That's good news, Darin. I hope nothing but success for you... and I hope to visit one day.

Andrew

Kirk Gittings
20-Jan-2014, 14:27
ditto

sanking
20-Jan-2014, 15:52
Hi Darin,

Good luck with your project. Hope you have a lot of success with iet.

Sandy

smithdoor
20-Jan-2014, 16:36
Congrats and good luck photo gallery
If you have a camera please post some photos

Dave

Darin Boville
20-Jan-2014, 17:37
Thanks, everyone, for your supportive words. Here are a few answers to your questions comments--at least as far as I've thought things through--all subject to change on a moment's notice!

--I've struggled with the name. Thought about various "Center for..." formulations. Various "...Workshop" formulations. Generic number names ("Gallery 1234.") I think I'm just going to call it "Darin Boville Gallery" and the sign out by the road will simply say "Photography Gallery." If I dared to put the word "studio" anywhere I'm worried that I'd be deluged with disappointed people looking for wedding photographs or portraits for prom.

--There's not a whole lot in terms of photography galleries in the area. In fact, I'm not really aware of anything south of downtown San Francisco all the way down to north of Carmel. There's a place in Half Moon Bay that is sort of an artist cooperative dealing in all manner of work--they have an invitational photo show every year which is fairly decent. There's something at UC Santa Cruz but not commercial or highly visible. There must be something in Santa Cruz or Monterey but it is not coming to mind. And anyway, that is far too far south for visitors to San Francisco--Half Moon Bay is a day trip. Heading down to Santa Cruz and especially Monterey is an overnight trip.

--The idea about Ted Orland's show and tell gathering and pot-luck is a good one. I'd like to think about how to morph that into something that works in my space. I do have his book but have never read it. I also have two of his prints that my wife bought for me from the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite when they had a show a few years back. I wandered in, started looking at the prints--didn't know much about Orland--and started laughing out loud with mirth at his images. Damn funny, many of them. I'd like to get more someday. But I digress...

--Regarding the danger of overhead costs, I spent about nine months looking for a place nearby where I live. Most of the obvious locations were too expensive--rent plus all the rest would push me toward $4000-5000 a month. That's a lot of pressure. Didn't want that. What I have going now will not be any pressure at all. If I sell stuff or make money in other ways, fine. If not, fine. My goal is to experiment learn, and have fun.

--Regarding what I plan to sell: My thinking (very tentative) is that there are a lot of educated people, sophisticated people, people with good jobs--especially in tech--who really aren't interested in the art-school stuff that is shown in major photo galleries. Just not their thing plus I don't think they groove on the high b.s. factor that goes along with a lot of contemporary art. However, good landscape work is a different issue. Steve Jobs owned Ansel Adams prints. People can get into landscape work without going to art school and they can continue to be interested in it even as they learn and grow in their appreciation of photography. Somehow it speaks to something important to people, something primal. This appreciation may be just a factor of this time and place in history but it is also true that it won't be changing anytime soon-in fact, as we face greater environmental pressures landscape will only gain in strength as a genre. Within landscape I *think* I want to focus (not exclusively) on California with bonus points for work made along the San Mateo coast. But I will watch out for being pigeonholed--but perfectly aware that being "pigeonholed" is just another word for strong brand awareness. I also want to show good work from outside of California and other genres, too. I'd love to have a "Nude" show with really great work drawn from anywhere in the world, for example.

--Mark Sink in Denver carried my work way back in when he first opened his brick and mortar gallery. I don't recall anything selling. There was one set of prints that he almost sold to a major hotel chain but didn't work out. I got those back and then sold them to one of the Weston family members, in carmel. I was in DC at the time.

--The space is 400 sq ft and I'll open--I hope--in mid-February. I need to install lighting, etc and figure out innumerable other issues large and small. There may be room to expand if things go well. I'd love to meet with anyone who lives nearby and anyone who is coming to the area.

Thanks for all your words of support!

--Darin

Andrew O'Neill
20-Jan-2014, 17:55
"Darin Boville Gallery"

Good choice, and why not? Will you have a website devoted to the gallery?

Darin Boville
21-Jan-2014, 10:30
Will you have a website devoted to the gallery?

Yes, sort of maybe. I'll have a website for sure but I'm not sure how fancy. I've done my share of web sites and in many cases they seem to be a huge time suck. So I'll have something, just not sure what right now, nor how often or how extensively I'll update it.

--Darin

drew.saunders
21-Jan-2014, 11:53
Darin,

400 sq ft sounds "cozy" for use as a meeting space, but several meetup groups to which I belong have regular meetings where a presentation is given and/or prints are shared. Perhaps you could either create your own group or work with an existing group(s) to have some of those events at your gallery? There is also a bay area LF meetup.com group. It seems that the Sports Basement in SF and the Apple Store in SF have space and are open to meetings. Unfortunately, most of these are on weekday evenings, so I have yet to make it up out of the 'burbs to attend one, but here are a few that happened:
http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Photography-Events/events/142652442/
http://www.meetup.com/SF-Bay-Area-Photographers-Explorers/events/152845472/

You'd have to limit the number, clearly 80+ people couldn't fit in your gallery, but there may be events that are too specialized for a large space that might be a better fit for your gallery.

Drew

Drew Wiley
21-Jan-2014, 12:05
About all you need for a website is a posting of location (map link of how to get there), operating schedule, contact phone and email, and what the current venue is. If it's strictly your own work, just a shot or two of the interior of the space should be sufficient. You could do all that on a single web page and be done with it for awhile. Most realistic sales are likely to be spontaneous anyway. I have personally had repeat customers ask for a representation of specific images on the web to
help them select, but it turned out to be a total waste of time accommodating that kind of thing - they always wanted to see the real thing in person anyway.

Vaughn
21-Jan-2014, 12:09
Congrats on the leap! Best of luck...and I'll drop by some day!

I am doing the same, only on a smaller scale. A live-in gallery only open when the town has events, a darkroom for small workshops, and perhaps even a guestroom for one-on-one workshops. Small town (1300 pop), not much thru-traffic -- but a great location...right next to the only bar in town, Still a lot of work to do -- all I have done is sand and refinished the floor (old stained redwood). The room for the gallery is more like 200 sq feet and is also my living room. Small office off this room for showing work from portfolio boxes. Planning to have my work only, though.

Not really a commercial gallery -- more of a way and place to live immersed in photography.

Vaughn

Stephen Willard
21-Jan-2014, 13:55
On the contrary, you may want to invest in a descent website for several reasons.

First, you may think you are a galleriest, but what you really are is a wall decorator. Sounds insulting right? Many people may like your work, but they need to go back home and think about. Buying art is something that can take a long time for most people. They want to make sure they get just the piece for their wall. They need to know if one of your prints will fit the wall space they have for it, and what photograph of yours will look the best. Having a website that shows all of your photographs and the sizes that each print is available in will go a long ways to helping them make a decision when they are home. I would say that most of my customers have first spent a lot of time on my website going through this process before they buy. Those who come to my studio, in most cases, already know what they want and the size they need because they have spent lots of time on my website.

Second, your website is your virtual store front and should not be marginal statement. Word of mouth is a good seller, and if referred potential customer visit a marginal website, then you may be loosing sales.

Hope this helps....

Tin Can
21-Jan-2014, 14:54
I gotta concur, I don't like it, but I as much as anyone alive, shop everything to death online. If fact it doesn't exist if it's not online.

And I am definitely at odds with myself on this issue!

On the contrary, you may want to invest in a descent website for several reasons.

First, you may think you are a galleriest, but what you really are is a wall decorator. Sounds insulting right? Many people may like your work, but they need to go back home and think about. Buying art is something that can take a long time for most people. They want to make sure they get just the piece for their wall. They need to know if one of your prints will fit the wall space they have for it, and what photograph of yours will look the best. Having a website that shows all of your photographs and the sizes that each print is available in will go a long ways to helping them make a decision when they are home. I would say that most of my customers have first spent a lot of time on my website going through this process before they buy. Those who come to my studio, in most cases, already know what they want and the size they need because they have spent lots of time on my website.

Second, your website is your virtual store front and should not be marginal statement. Word of mouth is a good seller, and if referred potential customer visit a marginal website, then you may be loosing sales.

Hope this helps....

al olson
21-Jan-2014, 16:37
Best wishes, Darin. It is difficult to be successful with any kind of art gallery and photography always seems to be viewed as the poor stepsister to fine art.

I have had chats with the owner of Open Shutter in Durango, Margy Dudley. Open Shutter has featured shows of many well known photographers such as Paul Caponigro, Mitch Dobrowner, each of the members of the Weston family, Edward Curtis, etc. Occasionally she sells a couple of prints.

Open Shutter also has bins of matted photographs of local photographers, photographic greeting cards, and a large selection of photo books for sale. Margy told me in one conversation that if it were not for the sale of the coffee table books she would not be able to keep the doors open.

There is a bit of psychology here in that people come to the gallery to look at an excellent exhibit of world famous photographers. They cannot afford, or maybe justify, the prices for these photographs but feel they should buy something they can afford.

I wish you a long and successful endeavor!

Drew Wiley
21-Jan-2014, 17:06
The Bay Area is definitely different. There's no lack of big money, but otherwise, it's not a particularly great area for art sales of any kind. Lots of established local
artists market elsewhere entirely. But there is seemingly "enough" to make a go of it as long as overhead is held in rein. I won't go into my own schemes about how
to get back in the game, but having to support only 400 sq ft in Half Moon Bay might be entirely realistic for Darin. But the nature of the venue might be entirely
different if oriented to pass-thru tourist versus local micro-tourism (daytrippers or weekenders). Tastes differ. Size of images tend to be different. I've never gone after the tourist dollar whatsoever, even when I did gigs in addresses on the same streets as those kind of venues. There's a sufficiently strong sense of continuity around here with the glory days of the West Coast school, to the point where a lot of people actually appreciate fine printing skills and classic black and white work. But the risk any gallery takes is getting an initial spike of interest and overestimating how much will keep coming over the long haul. It's all about a realistic
pace, unless someone just happens to have too much money to begin with, and is looking for a tax writeoff, which is the case more often than not in the swanker
venues. But let's see what happens, and I certainly hope Darin becomes reasonably rewarded for this venture.

Darin Boville
21-Jan-2014, 19:04
I hope to post photo laster in the week. Lots of little things to attend to.

A few responses:

--Cozy--yes. When I looked at larger spaces I could see that they would be great for holding meetings, even corporate retreats. Could be a big money maker in my area--there is a Ritz carlton just down the road, after all. Remember when they had the big ta-do about the AIG retreat during the bailouts? The retreat was here. So there are visitors with money here--and, quite frankly, not a lot to spend it on in the area. Half Moon Bay is not Carmel (and very much doesn't want to be, which si great). Bt in the current space I think my group possibilities are limited, although I'm situated in such a way that larger groups can spill out into the parking area sp larger parties/opening would work.

--Website. Still going back and forth. But I suspect that buying art--especially in the price range I'm aiming at, will be highly impulse oriented.

--Vaughn, I would LOVE to have a gallery like yours. I actually looked at real estate in various small towns with something like that I mind. But then I figured, duh, I live in a popular tourist place, might as well take advantage of it.

--No prints in bins! Never! No postcards, no knick-knacks. If I had wanted to be a lawyer, I'd have been a lawyer. If I had wanted to go to Wall Street I'd have done that. If i wanted to sell knick-knacks... POne of the benfits of having affordable rent is the lack of financial pressure. I aim to take advantage of that freedom. Prints in bins make the photos look cheap. I have what i hope is a better plan (to be revealed!)

--Darin

Jim collum
21-Jan-2014, 20:08
Have to disagree on the bins. Just got back from Photo LA, and the top galleries in the US/World, had prints in bins there. I'd say half of the sales in the booth I was in came from prints in bins (one of mine included). There are still people who are traveling, and would like to buy the print, but do not want to haul frame & everything along with them. The alternative is to have flat files where you store just mounted/matted prints (i'll have to go back thru this thread to see if you were going to have flat files..)

I'm looking forward to visiting your gallery! Living in Santa Cruz (Felton), you're a very short drive up the coast for me. Good luck with the venture.. we don't have enough Photography Galleries around!

jim

I hope to post photo laster in the week. Lots of little things to attend to.

A few responses:

--Cozy--yes. When I looked at larger spaces I could see that they would be great for holding meetings, even corporate retreats. Could be a big money maker in my area--there is a Ritz carlton just down the road, after all. Remember when they had the big ta-do about the AIG retreat during the bailouts? The retreat was here. So there are visitors with money here--and, quite frankly, not a lot to spend it on in the area. Half Moon Bay is not Carmel (and very much doesn't want to be, which si great). Bt in the current space I think my group possibilities are limited, although I'm situated in such a way that larger groups can spill out into the parking area sp larger parties/opening would work.

--Website. Still going back and forth. But I suspect that buying art--especially in the price range I'm aiming at, will be highly impulse oriented.

--Vaughn, I would LOVE to have a gallery like yours. I actually looked at real estate in various small towns with something like that I mind. But then I figured, duh, I live in a popular tourist place, might as well take advantage of it.

--No prints in bins! Never! No postcards, no knick-knacks. If I had wanted to be a lawyer, I'd have been a lawyer. If I had wanted to go to Wall Street I'd have done that. If i wanted to sell knick-knacks... POne of the benfits of having affordable rent is the lack of financial pressure. I aim to take advantage of that freedom. Prints in bins make the photos look cheap. I have what i hope is a better plan (to be revealed!)

--Darin

tgtaylor
21-Jan-2014, 20:47
It's looking like Maverick will go down there this Friday (50 foot waves!) Get out there with your camera for future tourists passing thru.

Thomas

AtlantaTerry
21-Jan-2014, 21:00
I think I'm just going to call it "Darin Boville Gallery"

The problem with a business that includes the founder's name is selling it later. You might want to do a bit of research on this.

Drew Wiley
22-Jan-2014, 09:23
But he needs to get his name out there. It's going to be HIS gallery, apparently, not a mixed venue. All he needs is a good sign or logo which puts his name forward.
In his case, it may be of far more value to associate things with his name, even if he moves to a different location later, than to worry about the resale value of the
business, which in the case of most small galleries, is insignificant anyway.

Darin Boville
30-Jan-2014, 10:16
than to worry about the resale value of the
business, which in the case of most small galleries, is insignificant anyway.

Right. If it ever became so successful that i would be able to (and want to) sell it I'd probably have to license my work to the new owner anyway. But that problem will never arise, I think. :)

--Darin

Darin Boville
30-Jan-2014, 10:20
O.K., almost ready to go. Landlord came down with a (near) killer case of the flu but we should have the final paperwork done today or tomorrow.

Here are a few picts of the (very raw!) space--you'll have to visualize it in its finished state. It is in a funky building, sort of cool, on Route 92 just as you enter Half Moon Bay (California). My unit is in the front of the building which has a U-shaped hallway running through it with sunlight filtering through.

--Darin

smithdoor
30-Jan-2014, 10:34
Looks great good luck
Dave

O.K., almost ready to go. Landlord came down with a (near) killer case of the flu but we should have the final paperwork done today or tomorrow.

Here are a few picts of the (very raw!) space--you'll have to visualize it in its finished state. It is in a funky building, sort of cool, on Route 92 just as you enter Half Moon Bay (California). My unit is in the front of the building which has a U-shaped hallway running through it with sunlight filtering through.

--Darin

Darin Boville
30-Jan-2014, 11:40
You'll have to imagine the space with a dark gray ceiling and with tracklights. The walls an light color but not pure white, the floor some sort of neutral toe to avoid coloring the images with reflected light. I had looked into having the floor polished but too spendy.

Here's what is coming up in the next few days--if anyone has ideas, skills to offer, or pointers please chime in:

1) I need an electrician to connect up my track lights.

2) Best price on lights--track light head: Home Depot, $10. Track light LED bulb: Costco PAR30, $18. I'll need about two dozen sets.

3) Thoughts on color scheme?

4) Sign maker--I need a sign approximately 12 feet long and eight inches high for the road sign.

5) I'm thinking it would be cool to have a long, narrow table down the middle of one side of the gallery. Something you could stand at and bring out a portfolio or whatever. Or set drinks down on during an opening. Something that I could put barstools under, out of the way, but bring out for any sort of event or class we have there. Need some ideas on what sort of table I can get for not much money. Trying to avoid the IKEA thing but I might have to go that way.

--Darin

Ginette
30-Jan-2014, 12:20
The problem with a business that includes the founder's name is selling it later. You might want to do a bit of research on this.

Why not just your name (not the surname)? English is not my language but my suggestion will to be more specific about the photographic medium : Boville Photography Gallery.
Good luck with the new gallery.

bob carnie
30-Jan-2014, 12:31
Good luck with your venture Darin, I visit CA a bit and will drop by.

gth
30-Jan-2014, 18:50
Go for it Darin…. Call it The Maverick gallery!!

Lot's of people would like a picture from The Maverick….. the gallery….. Think of all the techies (Apple) from the Bay Area, who would love to surf but can't….. and yeah some can and they sure want one on the wall. That's your bread and butter right there. And of course it does not have to be all surf prints. Just enough to pull 'em in.

And if they buy a print they get a free real fresh Half Moon Bay artichoke. Bin by the door.

What is the address by the way?

I'll be down in a couple of weeks.

Tin Can
30-Jan-2014, 19:36
Maverick is good. It is a very famous American TV show, the surf spot, the latest Mac OS, ride the wave man.

Good idea!

Go for it Darin…. Call it The Maverick gallery!!

Lot's of people would like a picture from The Maverick….. the gallery….. Think of all the techies (Apple) from the Bay Area, who would love to surf but can't….. and yeah some can and they sure want one on the wall. That's your bread and butter right there. And of course it does not have to be all surf prints. Just enough to pull 'em in.

And if they buy a print they get a free real fresh Half Moon Bay artichoke. Bin by the door.

What is the address by the way?

I'll be down in a couple of weeks.

Darin Boville
30-Jan-2014, 19:40
Maverick is good. It is a very famous American TV show, the surf spot, the latest Mac OS, ride the wave man.

Good idea!

If I named it "Maverick's" then Jeff Clark would come down and punch me in the nose!

--Darin

angusparker
30-Jan-2014, 20:09
Will definitely visit when you open up. Imagine you could easily put together a curated local landscape show with local large format photographers - I'd be excited to participate. Certainly try a bunch of different formats / mediums / subject matters and see what works. Building a local following with wine and cheese events shouldn't be too hard.

tgtaylor
30-Jan-2014, 20:11
"Gallery 1" with the 1 in the California SR 1 logo.

Thomas

gth
30-Jan-2014, 20:30
No it should be The Maverick's Gallery and he would not. Really….. Just keep it small and funky, no trashy surf picts…. just a few of the really good stuff and your own work.

It's not like you're some trashy boardwalk joint…..What is there not to like. And BTW…. you'd get publicity day one….

Anyway, it's your place and idea and you have to follow that…… Best of luck, either way, another good idea to make the old time California 1 trail down from SF…….
Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Aptos, Monterey, Carmel …..Good Times!

AtlantaTerry
30-Jan-2014, 21:30
A couple random thoughts...

As part of the gallery name do not use any kind of movie or TV show title, character name, image or reference unless you want to get to know some intellectual property lawyers quite well.

Don't go cheap on the track lighting, furnishings, etc. Clients with money and taste will know and that kind of vibe will turn them off. Your up front costs will certainly be higher but as they say, first impressions last.

Darin Boville
30-Jan-2014, 22:47
Hey Everyone,

I'm just going to go with "Darin Boville Gallery." No other name I can think of is more straightforward, more honest. I would *love* to find surfer photography that I like--and I've seen a lot--but very little that seems (or even aspires) to be more than "surfer porn." That might sell but not what I'm after.

As far as spending lots of money on furnishings, I'm sort of taking a different tack. The goal is to keep the investment level low--I don't want to be just another mini-museum like many galleries. I don't have a lot of firm answers but keeping costs low will allow me to experiment. Part of my theory here is that traditional galleries have largely failed artists, for a lot of different reasons apparent in a lot of different ways. I'm exploring a new model, trying to reach new kinds of people as well. We'll see. But after all, if I wanted to put significant money into this I would rent a place at 49 Geary in San Francisco with the other photo galleries.

As for local landscape, I would love to see work from local photographers as well as photographers who might not live here but who have made photographs here. Hopefully I can carry some of this work for sale at some point, if things go well. It's an amazing Coastside but I haven't seen all that much serious work done here. But heck, even Ansel didn't do much here--except maybe for his famous Surf Sequence, shot somewhere just down the road.

If I can pay expenses I'm happy. The main goals are to have fun, learn new things, meet cool people.

--Darin

AtlantaTerry
31-Jan-2014, 01:20
Actually, I believe you just named it:

Coastside Photography Gallery

Leszek Vogt
31-Jan-2014, 02:19
How about Full Moon Gallery ? Anyway, I intend to stop by in Sept and hope you're doing well.

Les

srbphoto
31-Jan-2014, 22:07
Darin - you might want to run up to the Sanchez Art Center in Pacifica and talk to Stephen Johnson. He has had a gallery in Pacifica for quite a while. I think he makes most of his money on workshops but he may have some good advice for you.

I 'll try and stop by when I visit home (Daly City) in August.

BTW I have a pretty large portfolio called "Peninsula Redwoods". wink wink, nudge nudge, you know what I mean? :)

Darin Boville
31-Jan-2014, 23:22
Darin - you might want to run up to the Sanchez Art Center in Pacifica and talk to Stephen Johnson. He has had a gallery in Pacifica for quite a while. I think he makes most of his money on workshops but he may have some good advice for you.

I 'll try and stop by when I visit home (Daly City) in August.

BTW I have a pretty large portfolio called "Peninsula Redwoods". wink wink, nudge nudge, you know what I mean? :)

I haven't met Stephen but I have been to his gallery. Actually considered locating my gallery in the same building--an old schoolhouse that is not set up as rooms for artists to rent. It is sort of way off the beaten path--not much in the way of walk in sales or visitors there--plus the gal who ran the artist rental three fourths pf the facility had a very odd, blatant, anti-photographer bias for some reason. Kept thinking up reasons why I couldn't apply for one of their spaces. First it was they didn't want the chemicals. Told them no chemicals. They came back with the circuitry isn't good enough for flashes. Told them I don't use flashes. Then they came back with something else, I forget what. Maybe one photographer is enough?

I'm not looking at portfolios (yet!) but, what the heck, post a link to your redwoods for all to see.

Back to names...there is already a Coastside Land Trust Gallery, a Coastside Fine Art Gallery, a Coastside Art Gallery, and a Coastal Arts League and Museum (not all of these are currently alive).

Full Moon gallery is sort of a Big Sur, hippie sort of sounding place. A Full Moon in Half Moon? I'm so confused!

--Darin

srbphoto
31-Jan-2014, 23:39
The Sanchez group can be interesting. I had my studio/darkroom there for about seven years (until 2006). I was on the Board of Directors for 3 or 4 years as well. The studio I took over was Richard Lohman's (I believe you know him) He was one of the founding members. There were quite a few artists there who didn't seemed real pleased with photographers. There were some really awesome artists (and people) there as well

They get some pretty big turnouts for a couple of their shows. Arts on Fire receptions used to get hundreds of people. I was in a 4 person show and we had a pretty good turnout. Open studios drew a big crowd also.

As far as the name, I wouldn't do anything generic like "the Coastal (you fill in the blank)" It is too generic and easily confused with other places with a similar name. I like your name. It is different and has a good ring to it. Maybe just your last name? Or find an area (or old townsite name) near there. Like "The Purissma Gallery"

Good luck!!!

srbphoto
31-Jan-2014, 23:40
One more tip...Free beer. :D

Darin Boville
1-Feb-2014, 00:11
One more tip...Free beer. :D

You know, now that you mention it...

I've had a lot of suggestions for free coffee. I don't drink coffee but offering it would fit in with my conception of the gallery--a friendly, intimidating place. Should I? Too messy? If I do are k-cups the way to go for self-serve?

--Darin

Tin Can
1-Feb-2014, 00:28
K -cups cost more than your rent.

Whenever I have done give away coffee, I use the an easy method. You can make darn good coffee for nothing with an Aeropress. Keep a pot of hot water around, and with an AeroPress you have almost espresso in 30 seconds, by hand. So strong they will buy anything. Cheap, simple and professional coffee. It even self cleans, wash it once at the end of the day. Make shots in tiny cups. I don't follow their insane directions and just make as fast as possible. Still good. Some coffee shops even offer it as a premium drink.

Make it a ceremony.

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

You know, now that you mention it...

I've had a lot of suggestions for free coffee. I don't drink coffee but offering it would fit in with my conception of the gallery--a friendly, intimidating place. Should I? Too messy? If I do are k-cups the way to go for self-serve?

--Darin

tangyimail
1-Feb-2014, 04:43
congrat!!!

Jim Fitzgerald
1-Feb-2014, 06:11
Darin, best of luck. I'm planning a move up to the Sonora area and will have a gallery/workshop space at some point. You are not that far away and I'd love to see the work.

Stephen Willard
1-Feb-2014, 12:36
Actually, I believe you just named it:

Coastside Photography Gallery

If you talk with anyone who is in marketing they would say to choose a business name that tells people what you are selling. Thomas Mangelsen uses the name "Images of Nature". His gallery name makes it very clear what he is selling. Yours gallery name should do the same. Perhaps "Images of the Coast", "Images of the Seaside", or Images of Land and Water" are just a few of many possibilities.

In terms of lighting, I would choose a lighting system that can accommodate either halogen lights or LED lights. You can start out using halogen lights to save money, and then when you are sure your business is a success you can slowly replace the halogens as they burnout with LEDs. Make sure that you can find LEDs that are interchangeable and have the same color temperature as halogens. Halogens are what most people use in there homes ranging between 350 to 450 LUX. Detail in the shadows will begin to deteriorate with anything less than 350 LUX.

It is important that any lighting for a glass covered photograph is 45 degrees or greater above the surface of the glass. This will ensure that the light source is not reflected in the glass itself.

Having access to an incident color meter to actual measure the color temperature and light intensity will go a long ways to taking control of the lighting in your gallery. The human eye is drawn to highlights and bright spots. Thus, it is important that the ambient light in your gallery is dim (120 LUX at the most) while the lighting on your photographs is bright (350 LUX or brighter). This will make your images pop and enhance your sales. Whatever you do, do not let large amounts of daylight come streaming through any windows. This is uncontrolled light that will create glare and reflections on the glass covering your photographs. It is also a very cold light and will wash out your images and make them appear lifeless.

Hope this helps...

Darin Boville
2-Feb-2014, 21:06
O.K., I signed the lease yesterday. I'm on my way, wherever that leads...

Pressing question--paint colors!

Dark gray ceiling or light/white-ish? I just bought all the track lights in black but I can exchange them for white if need be...

Here are the interior photos--you can see the ceiling goes up and down--the down parts, if they are very dark, might be too close to people's heads? I won't have tracks on those parts. Or maybe keep those light? Any interior designers out there?

--Darin

Ginette
2-Feb-2014, 21:32
All white (mat natural white or eggshell) : wall, ceiling and white lights.
What is the floor made? If it is paintable : a light beige.

Jon Shiu
2-Feb-2014, 22:15
White ceiling and lights. For walls a medium gray or medium brownish chocolate color really makes the artwork stand out, esp. black and white prints.

Jon

Darin Boville
2-Feb-2014, 23:03
Concurrent with deciding on paint colors...

Here is the sign I plan to hang in the windows tomorrow--17x22 paper. Also picts of the windows. Just keeping you all in the loop!

--Darin

Ginette
3-Feb-2014, 11:05
Outside walls are pretty dark. You can go a little darker than eggshell for your inside walls especially if you don't repaint floor. Go for the same reddish brown tone but very soft.
Ceiling and lamps still white. No black fixtures and rails, you will see only theses in the gallery.

Drew Wiley
3-Feb-2014, 11:29
Upgrading the doors & locks to something a little more catchy and a little less motel-esque would be helpful, but obviously another hitch in the budget. And make
a serious sign. Maybe some local woodworker will trade you a door or sign for a print.

Roger Thoms
3-Feb-2014, 12:44
Darin, congratulations on your new space. Looks like it has a lot of potential. I'll definitely stop by for a visit, any idea when you'll open?

Roger

ROL
3-Feb-2014, 18:02
Given the number of posts over the last few months, I thought this thing was already built. So it's not to late to heed my counsel:

black
daylight balanced
never on Monday (unless you want)
white (of course)
20% – 50%
under 30
Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber (it just doesn't matter which)
90 days
never say never*

* unless you have true F' YOU money (should probably be first on the list).

P.S. What's with the slopey looking wall at the end?
Hey, how about piggybacking on that other nearby tourist attraction, calling it "Art of Mystery"?

Darin Boville
3-Feb-2014, 19:31
O.K., it looks like a white ceiling is in the lead--I'm hearing the same from people here. Hmmmm. With white track fixtures and track.

Upgrading the doors & locks to something a little more catchy and a little less motel-esque would be helpful, but obviously another hitch in the budget. And make
a serious sign. Maybe some local woodworker will trade you a door or sign for a print.

Doors sort of suck but I'm changing the door handles. I'm having a graphics company do the window sign and the landlord is making a wooden road sign with the letters routered out. Should be nice.

Given the number of posts over the last few months, I thought this thing was already built.

I believe in the power of crowd-sourcing--it certainly has proven valuable so far!

P.S. What's with the slopey looking wall at the end?

I thought it was, too, when I first saw the picts. Optical illuison. Look again. :)

Hey, how about piggybacking on that other nearby tourist attraction, calling it "Art of Mystery"?

Not quite sure I get that--do you mean "Mystery Spot" or whatever it is called? That's way down in Santa Cruz, about an hour south of here (and further away in other ways). Our biggest thing here is the Maverick's Surf wave--aside from the beaches, etc.

I would love for those who can visit to stop by--I'm hoping to open on or around March 1st. Lots of little details to attend to first.

--Darin

dsphotog
3-Feb-2014, 20:09
How 'bout.... Photo-Tsunami Gallery!

Tin Can
3-Feb-2014, 21:58
Made be laugh!

How 'bout.... Photo-Tsunami Gallery!

dsphotog
3-Feb-2014, 22:49
There actually was a bad Tsunami there in 1946.
I hope it's not too soon to mention it.

Drew Wiley
4-Feb-2014, 09:59
The "Mystery Spot" is down the highway near Santa Cruz. There they built everything on a slant, so that when tourists walk around they are vertically disoriented,
and the creek seems to run uphill etc.

Darin Boville
7-Feb-2014, 22:23
Tour my gallery!

There is a long, long way to go before I open but there are signs of progress. Today I made a very short video tour of the space and my plans for it. Posted on my blog site--easier to embed the video there.

http://www.biggercamera.com/2014/02/tour-my-gallery/

--Darin

Tin Can
8-Feb-2014, 00:47
Darin, congratulations. However I have a Chicago friend who is your voice double, it's amazing, you both share accent, speech mannerisms and vocabulary. It was extremely spooky listening to your video. He is a regular guy with a very famous name, which I will not give, because you would really think I am putting on.

I'm good with voices, this is odd.

Great you have gotten right to it.

Good luck!

Tour my gallery!

There is a long, long way to go before I open but there are signs of progress. Today I made a very short video tour of the space and my plans for it. Posted on my blog site--easier to embed the video there.

--Darin

Darin Boville
8-Feb-2014, 18:01
Darin, congratulations. However I have a Chicago friend who is your voice double, it's amazing, you both share accent, speech mannerisms and vocabulary. It was extremely spooky listening to your video. He is a regular guy with a very famous name, which I will not give, because you would really think I am putting on.

I'm good with voices, this is odd.

Great you have gotten right to it.

Good luck!

Now you know why I didn't show myself in the video!

--Darin

Darin Boville
14-Feb-2014, 23:53
Gallery update. Most of the painting is done, just a little touch up and trim (and the floor). Installed the track lights on the left side and turned them on tonight. What a difference! I'll add more heads and install the rest of the lights tomorrow.

Suddenly it seems that things are racing along...

-Darin

Tin Can
15-Feb-2014, 01:01
Looking good!

Gallery update. Most of the painting is done, just a little touch up and trim (and the floor). Installed the track lights on the left side and turned them on tonight. What a difference! I'll add more heads and install the rest of the lights tomorrow.

Suddenly it seems that things are racing along...

-Darin

Andrew O'Neill
15-Feb-2014, 10:27
Now it looks like a gallery!

Darin Boville
25-Feb-2014, 01:10
Just an update....lighting is all (well, mostly) in. Walls painted, ceiling painted. Lots of little details attended to. Started painting the floor today...due to the intervals needed between coats to dry this will take a few days...

--Darin

marfa boomboom tx
25-Feb-2014, 08:02
Tour my gallery!

--Darin

seems nice, for the community.
missing the key component of succe$$ful gallery -- collector room.

Darin Boville
28-Feb-2014, 18:21
All painting done but the edge of the trim by the floor...waiting for it to dry...maybe move the furniture in Sunday or Monday?

peter schrager
28-Feb-2014, 18:29
actually you should put yourself in the video..people will be interested in you Darin; just think about it
best, peter

Amedeus
28-Feb-2014, 19:05
Looking good Darin, looking forward seen the place in real life ...

paulr
1-Mar-2014, 12:49
When you have a minute, can you tell us about the lighting, and how you chose it?

Merg Ross
1-Mar-2014, 13:15
When you have a minute, can you tell us about the lighting, and how you chose it?

Darin's post on the subject:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?109339-Track-lighting-suggestions&highlight=gallery+lights

Darin Boville
1-Mar-2014, 14:10

It's just the cheapest Lowes track light head I could find ($10 each) coupled with the cheapest LED PAR30 LED I could find, at Costco ($18). I'll be adding ten more heads later this week for a total of thirty. That includes a 4-head track I haven't installed yet to light up the alcove on the left. Six of those lights are broad beamed lights, the rest are narrow beam.

Now, here's the one bummer. These bulbs often goon rebate at Costco--$5 off, $8 off. It really adds up. I waited for a rebate but no luck. Why no rebate? Because California's new rules, in an effort to increase the *quality* of the bulbs, now require, as of January 1, that any bulbs on rebate must be at least 90 CRI. My bulbs are in the mid to high 80s. So I'm at Costco yesterday and I see the broad beam bulbs but different packaging. The new, high CRIs, have arrived. I bought three to try out. No narrow beams yet. No doubt a rebate will soon be offered.

--Darin

Tin Can
1-Mar-2014, 14:15
Good to know, I have been waiting for Costco to get better LEDs.

High CRI is great but I also want DAYLIGHT temp.

Since we never have Sun anymore I need fake daylight. lot's of it.

They sure do add up, I want at least 30 also.

It's just the cheapest Lowes track light head I could find ($10 each) coupled with the cheapest LED PAR30 LED I could find, at Costco ($18). I'll be adding ten more heads later this week for a total of thirty. That includes a 4-head track I haven't installed yet to light up the alcove on the left. Six of those lights are broad beamed lights, the rest are narrow beam.

Now, here's the one bummer. These bulbs often goon rebate at Costco--$5 off, $8 off. It really adds up. I waited for a rebate but no luck. Why no rebate? Because California's new rules, in an effort to increase the *quality* of the bulbs, now require, as of January 1, that any bulbs on rebate must be at least 90 CRI. My bulbs are in the mid to high 80s. So I'm at Costco yesterday and I see the broad beam bulbs but different packaging. The new, high CRIs, have arrived. I bought three to try out. No narrow beams yet. No doubt a rebate will soon be offered.

--Darin

Darin Boville
1-Mar-2014, 14:26
Good to know, I have been waiting for Costco to get better LEDs.

High CRI is great but I also want DAYLIGHT temp.

Since we never have Sun anymore I need fake daylight. lot's of it.

They sure do add up, I want at least 30 also.

5000ks are out there. Not sure what CRI. Saw them at Lowes or Home Depot in my travels...Note that Lowes just dropped the price of the Par30 LEDs from like $27 to $19.99...

--Darin

Tin Can
1-Mar-2014, 15:12
Thanks I know they are made, but I want my 'consuming mass quantities' Cone Head/Costco deal. It's coming, they are ramping up the LED invasion as we sit and wonder.

Now I run tube FL 8000K's, they are nice.

5000ks are out there. Not sure what CRI. Saw them at Lowes or Home Depot in my travels...Note that Lowes just dropped the price of the Par30 LEDs from like $27 to $19.99...

--Darin

Toyon
1-Mar-2014, 17:57
I hope you are going to sell silver gelatin prints along with the inkjet stuff.

Darin Boville
1-Mar-2014, 20:15
I hope you are going to sell silver gelatin prints along with the inkjet stuff.

So do I!

--Darin

paulr
2-Mar-2014, 11:22
Interesting, thanks. A friend of mine who opened a gallery (associated with his printing business (http://www.skink-ink.com/)) was so overwhelmed by the cost of lighting that he ended up getting highway-orange shop lights from Lowe's and bolting them to the rafters. It ended up working well, if you're ok the DIY industrial look ...

I'm just interested in how people choose lighting for gallery spaces. Many years ago I went around town with a notebook and light meter to see what people did, just so I could decide on a viewing light setup for my own printing.

--Darin

Darin Boville
2-Mar-2014, 11:57
Interesting, thanks. A friend of mine who opened a gallery (associated with his printing business (http://www.skink-ink.com/)) was so overwhelmed by the cost of lighting that he ended up getting highway-orange shop lights from Lowe's and bolting them to the rafters. It ended up working well, if you're ok the DIY industrial look ...

I'm just interested in how people choose lighting for gallery spaces. Many years ago I went around town with a notebook and light meter to see what people did, just so I could decide on a viewing light setup for my own printing.

If you buy the Lowes house brand "Portfolio"--apparently rebranded Juno--the cost is not bad. I paid about $1000 overall, half on the tracks and heads and half on the LED lights. If you buy W.A.C. or other name brand--or want anything nicer than the cheap heads--then the cost quickly escalates to 5x what I paid. Crazy. Also, in most jurisdictions, you can do most of the installation yourself without hiring an electrician. You just need a pro (and maybe a permit) for hooking up the power. But the rules vary all over so you'd have to check. That can add quite a bit of cost, even for such a small job.

--Darin

Darin Boville
2-Mar-2014, 11:59
Many years ago I went around town with a notebook and light meter to see what people did, just so I could decide on a viewing light setup for my own printing.

Same thing here--but the trick si to forget about galleries and go to well-funded museums where they are so cost-constrained. Of course, in recent years, they've brought the light levels way way down. Too low for proper viewing in my opinion, you we're sort of on our own in terms of a proper standard.

--Darin

matthew blais
2-Mar-2014, 11:59
I bought the same LED bulbs at costco Darin when they were first offered at $9 each...Had to buy another 8-10 at the $18 cost but overall a good deal.
I ended up selling them for $8 ea at a yard sale and on craigslist.

I still have 13 tracks with 38 heads if you need them. Made for Par 30

paulr
2-Mar-2014, 12:05
Same thing here--but the trick si to forget about galleries and go to well-funded museums where they are so cost-constrained. Of course, in recent years, they've brought the light levels way way down. Too low for proper viewing in my opinion, you we're sort of on our own in terms of a proper standard.

I was looking at the kinds of spaces where I was hoping to show the work ... the idea was to have reasonably similar lighting at my viewing table. Did you talk to any gallery or museum people? I wonder if there are any vague standards, as far as illumination levels and color temperature (for regular work ... I know they have recommendations for fugitive processes like albumin prints.)

How do you like the quality of light from those LEDs? I'm hoping to slowly transition to something like them at home. Are they dimmable?

Darin Boville
2-Mar-2014, 12:10
I still have 13 tracks with 38 heads if you need them. Made for Par 30

Oh, now you tell me! :)

--Darin

Darin Boville
2-Mar-2014, 12:17
How do you like the quality of light from those LEDs? I'm hoping to slowly transition to something like them at home. Are they dimmable?

They are dimmable although I haven't installed a dimmable switch yet. Hard to tell about color quality. I just painted the floor--the old floor was a red color that was throwing back up a lot of reflected light. Heading down now to bring furniture in. I do have a black and white image in a frame down there and that seems fine. I also plan to have a tungsten bulb lamp of some sort for people to see the print under that light--daylight is just outside, if they want more variety.

One things I've learned--or rather seen a dramatic demonstration of--is how different colors looks, at least in paint, due to differences not only in color temperature but to light levels. I have a sort of taupe color in the middle of the gallery where the TV monitor will go. Dim area. Taupe on wall and ceiling. Then I put the same color on the floor in a 2x2 foot patch a little ways away in the lighted area. Couldn't believe they were the same color. Far more dramatic than I would have ever guessed. Far beyond differences when looking at prints in different light--maybe because of the single-color nature of the patch made the difference obvious, I don't know. Sort of underlined the hopelessness of the idea of seeing a print in a gallery that will exactly match the colors of that same print at home.

--Darin

matthew blais
2-Mar-2014, 12:24
Oh, now you tell me! :)

--Darin

oops

Drew Wiley
6-Mar-2014, 13:31
Set aside some shekels for some better bulbs. I'd be very skeptical how long the discount ones actually last.

Darin Boville
12-Mar-2014, 17:57
Set aside some shekels for some better bulbs. I'd be very skeptical how long the discount ones actually last.

Just as long as they are in the Costco return period!

--Darin

Darin Boville
12-Mar-2014, 18:00
The local paper has a monthly magazine. They just published a multi-page, full-color profile of the building my gallery is in, along with several quotes from yours truly. Here' s a shrunk pdf of the article--they haven't posted the official pdf version online yet so these are just jpegs of the pages.

http://www.darinboville.com/March_2014/HMB_Review_Mag_March_2014%5Bsmallpdf.com%5D.pdf

And I haven't even opened yet! :)

But I did get my final inspection approval this morning. Glass and the rest of my frames due to arrive Friday. If the stars align I'll do a soft opening on Saturday...

--Darin

Peter De Smidt
12-Mar-2014, 18:45
That's great news!

tgtaylor
12-Mar-2014, 19:15
Indeed, that's great news Darin.

Your decision to include wall space for local up and coming artists is, IMO, both commendable and a very wise business decision. I have no doubt that you will fully realize your expectations (and more!) if you continue to advertise the gallery as you have been doing.

Thomas

luis a de santos
13-Mar-2014, 17:58
Do not do it.
I had a beautiful gallery ,for Photography only, for ten years.
We had great photographers and worked like a dog all that time.
Never made any money.
It is not worth it.
Save your money, do some traveling and sell via the web.

I know you will not listen to me but remember this note ten years from now when you are sick of the whole thing

Luis

Tin Can
13-Mar-2014, 18:20
Too late, it is fait accompli.

Wish him good luck!

Do not do it.
I had a beautiful gallery ,for Photography only, for ten years.
We had great photographers and worked like a dog all that time.
Never made any money.
It is not worth it.
Save your money, do some traveling and sell via the web.

I know you will not listen to me but remember this note ten years from now when you are sick of the whole thing

Luis

luis a de santos
14-Mar-2014, 11:14
So, good luck it is

Luis

Drew Wiley
14-Mar-2014, 11:24
Ummm ... all I see on that link are a bunch of dinosaurs... hope your clients don't get eaten on the way to the gallery!

Darin Boville
17-Mar-2014, 20:31
Just an update. More photos. Lights are up (except for one cord that needs a hide-a-cord rail. Images are on the wall for the left hand side of the gallery. Right had side framed and ready to hang. Working on signs for the building and for the road sign. Lots of little things going on. Aiming (again) for a soft opening this weekend and maybe a public open house the Saturday after. If so, you are all invited! :)

http://montarafog.smugmug.com/Other/darinbovillecom-stuff/i-4MQctvZ/0/M/photo%201-L.jpg (http://montarafog.smugmug.com/Other/darinbovillecom-stuff/14206239_gJHfRX#!i=3128617841&k=4MQctvZ&lb=1&s=A)

http://montarafog.smugmug.com/Other/darinbovillecom-stuff/i-b2bX2Sz/0/M/photo%203-L.jpg (http://montarafog.smugmug.com/Other/darinbovillecom-stuff/14206239_gJHfRX#!i=3128617890&k=b2bX2Sz&lb=1&s=A)

http://montarafog.smugmug.com/Other/darinbovillecom-stuff/i-VtBrDB8/0/M/photo%204-L.jpg (http://montarafog.smugmug.com/Other/darinbovillecom-stuff/14206239_gJHfRX#!i=3128617990&k=VtBrDB8&lb=1&s=A)

--Darin

Daniel Stone
18-Mar-2014, 01:31
best of luck Darin, I wish you the very best of success with this new venture!

Unfortunately for me, I'm moving to Florida this Saturday, otherwise I'd be interested in coming up to visit ;)

all the best,
Dan

Darin Boville
24-Mar-2014, 08:27
O.K., the gallery is open. Still a few more things to do but the signs went up over the weekend. Hours are 12-4, Thurs-Sun, located in the Spanishtown building in Half Moon Bay, on Route 92. Looks for the large dinosaur sculptures and turn in.

We'll have an open house soon-I'll post an announcement when I have details.

I'm currently showing three projects at the gallery. First, Portfolio Three (Red Circles), part my continuing struggle with the work of Ansel Adams. Two, Andy's Flowers, still life flowers with a hard news edge. On the 4k screen I have my 101-image sequence, California Zephyr, landscape images of California made from a moving train.

If you are in the area stop by!

--Darin

Erik Larsen
24-Mar-2014, 08:43
Best of luck Darin!

Tin Can
24-Mar-2014, 09:03
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your journey.

We all have learned from you!

Good luck.

Darin Boville
3-Apr-2014, 23:52
The local paper, the Half Moon Bay Review, just published a profile of my gallery:

http://www.hmbreview.com/arts_and_entertainment/boville-trains-new-lens-on-adams/article_e9d919a8-bb70-11e3-88e6-001a4bcf887a.html

The online news blog, Coastsider.com, also mentions the gallery and the open house on Saturday:

http://coastsider.com/site/news/darin_boville_gallery_open_house_saturday/6173

So now we are going to see whether people will respond to press coverage! All part of the experiment...

--Darin