PDA

View Full Version : Good lupe for under 100?

Imagowan
17-Jan-2014, 10:58
Any thoughts?

Ari
17-Jan-2014, 11:09
For general 4x5 and 8x10 use, I have a Peak 5x:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40687-REG/Peak_1301960_5x_Loupe.html

For wide angle lenses, or critical focusing on 4x5, I use this loupe from Edmund Optics:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/magnifiers/comparators/transparent-base-magnifier/2020?#products

gregmo
17-Jan-2014, 12:07
I have had good success with Peak. I use at 10x loop for GG focusing & a 15x loop for negatives/ slides on the light table.

BrianShaw
17-Jan-2014, 12:45
Any thoughts?

Actually, yes, I have had the same thoughts.

For the past 30 years or so I've been making good use of inexpensive 4x loupes and wonder if it is worth spending more money on one.

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2014, 13:00
I use a Toyo 3.5X and I really like it. I paid about $45.00 for it new but you can only find them used anymore.

If I was looking for a new loupe today I think I would buy a Peak.

photonsoup
17-Jan-2014, 14:57
If your handy, make your own http://www.largeformatphotography.info/loupe/

I bought a old junk lens for $10.00 and made one. It works great for me

John Kasaian
17-Jan-2014, 15:17
Agfa 9x is around $8. It works. The tilting Silvestri 6x was a wee under $80 when I bought mine. The Toyos seem to be the most popular.
You can also use a linen tester---not at all expensive and IIRC Ron Wisner mentioned that he actually preferred using a linen tester.
If I had a linen tester, I'd name it either "John" or "Vladimir":rolleyes:
If I had two linen testers I'd call 'em the "Linen Sisters" (cue the champagne music, Lawrence!)

Rollinhofuji
18-Jan-2014, 02:24
I recently acquired a used Schneider 4x MC loupe for 40€ (perhaps 55 USD). Works great for me (4x5), although for extra critical focus something with more magnification would be helpful (say 8x or 10x). The good point on those high-end loupes is the big eyepoint, no distortions, no chromatic aberration. I suggest to get one without at ransparent sleeve/base/barrel or however you call this. The advantage is that you can frequently use it without a dark cloth that way. I usually check composition under the cloth, then check focus with the cloth removed - much more convenient and works for not too critical objects.

DannL
18-Jan-2014, 09:32
I've used a number of loupes over the years, but none of those have ever preformed as well as the front lens assembly taken from a 35mm projector. For many years now I've used the front lens taken from a Minolta Mini-35 projector (Chiyoko P-Rokkor 2.5/75). Hands-down my favorite. For viewing on the light table I'll occasionally use a Kodak Ektanar 5", but for close-up detailed viewing I will use the lens which was taken from an old office copier. An old fast enlarger lens would probably be easier to acquire.

Regular Rod
18-Jan-2014, 10:54
For focusing in the field have any of you tried eschewing the loupe and instead taking a pair of +5 or greater "reading glasses"? It's quite effective because you view the whole image at the same time as focusing. They are dirt cheap from eBay and so I carry a pair in each LF bag.

RR

Ken Lee
18-Jan-2014, 11:48
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/flag-globe.png

This forum is international. Unless you specify, "under 100" may mean 100 pesos, lira, euros, rupees, kroners, yuan, yen, etc.

DannL
18-Jan-2014, 11:51
I automatically assumed "clams".

Peter De Smidt
18-Jan-2014, 13:43
I mostly use a Peak 4x square loupe, but I also have a Horseman 7x, Doktor Optic 8x, Rodenstock 4x.... Frankly, all of them work fine. For DIY, with a little work, lots of old lenses would work well. Cut off the right length out of ABS tube and mount the lens in it. Reading glasses, as suggested above, are also worth a try.

neil poulsen
19-Jan-2014, 00:08
Buying my Schneider asymmetrical 4x loop was a revelation for me. There's no point in messing with cheap loops. These can be found for under $100.

Bernice Loui
19-Jan-2014, 10:42
Really depends on what the loupe is used for..

Got one of the original Schneider 6x multi coated Aspherical loupe that is exceptional when compared to all the loupes that were on the market at that time (circa late 1990's). It is used to examine film on a light table and works well for this application..

For viewing the ground glass image, the Horseman 7X works well, small focusable and has enough magnification to reveal proper focus.

Got a low cost Agfa plastic which works well, a 6x6 Peak over sized loupe that is OK, Fuji loupe that was part of a free offer from years ago, Schneider 4X MC, which is very good and an assortment of short focal length enlarging lenses that also work well as a loupe.

Many ways and many offerings on loupes, trying them out is a good way to figure out what fits your needs best.

Bernice

Buying my Schneider asymmetrical 4x loop was a revelation for me. There's no point in messing with cheap loops. These can be found for under $100.

Scotty230358
19-Jan-2014, 15:34
I have a couple of horizon loupes that I used to use until I invested in my Schneider loupe. See this link for examples

http://www.argraph.com/PHOTO%20GALLERY/Loupes/PG-Loupes-Horizon.htm

Drew Wiley
20-Jan-2014, 14:30
I really like the Peak 7X, which was also sold under both Nikon and Horseman labels for around $65. I don't know if they're made anymore.

Noah B
11-Feb-2014, 10:53
I recently got a Peak 5x lupe, it's perfect and was only $11USD. I got some paracord and tied an adjustable knot around the top, so I can hang it on my neck when I go shooting. It cinches up pretty tight so it's secure and wont slip out.

Drew Bedo
11-Feb-2014, 14:10
My first loupee was a 78mm barrel lens salvaged from an oscilloscope camera. It was cheap to free then (don't recall). I still have it.

Another solution is an "Optivisor" jeweler's headset.

Another early loupe for me was a set of prescription reading glasses as strong as I could get my optometrist to make them.

Later on I got a real loupe from Schneider.

BradS
12-Feb-2014, 07:43
Forget the loupe. Get a pair of +3.0 reading glasses from the drug store....for about $9.95

Peter De Smidt
12-Feb-2014, 09:24
The demands for critically evaluating the color and sharpness of a transparency on a light box and the demands for telling if an image is sharply focused on a ground glass differ.

For use on a ground glass, mechanical properties are more important than ultimate sharpness and color correctness. For instance, does the loupe fit into the corners, does it keep your face far enough from the ground glass to minimize fogging in cold weather, does the focusing helical allow good focus on the ground side of the glass, does the base prevent scratching a the screen, which is especially important if you have a plastic screen, is it easy to clean, does it's magnification work well with the granularity of the glass?

I have an expensive Rodenstock loupe. It's terrific for looking at slide on a lightbox, but it isn't any better for ground glass viewing than a number of my other loupes.

Ari
12-Feb-2014, 09:26
The drugstore prescription glasses make me dizzy.

alavergh
15-Feb-2014, 07:54
I bought one of those Chinese loupes for about $50usd on eBay. I'm mostly happy with it. I didn't want to wait for something more name brand and just wanted something cut and dry.

I could have sworn that it looked fine as is the first time I used it, but I ended up having to take the rubber extension off (the piece the comes in contact with the glass) in order to view the ground glass in focus.

I'm overall pleased. I have also heard about the reading glass stuff, but haven't tried it.

greenbank
24-Feb-2014, 14:49
I found a Waltex brand linen tester at Maplins in the UK (why is an electronics store carrying this?) for £7.99 (about US$13) - cast alloy, Chinese made, may be available in other stores/chains too. Glass (not plastic) lens, 6x mag, stands 52mm (2") high extended and is 13mm (0.5") thick when folded down.

It comes in a handy little plastic carrying pouch which I expect will last for maybe two trips into the field, but the tester itself is a pretty sturdy little beast. As it weighs 85g / 3oz it isn't going to spend much time on a cord around my neck, but a hip pocket should be fine - and it's rugged enough to survive being sat on. If it works out in the longer term, that's me sorted.

Clip-on/flip-up magnifying glasses with plastic lenses are available here for around £12-15, in a range of magnifications 2x, 3x, 4x. I find clip-ons uncomfortable to use myself, since they make my ordinary spectacles too heavy, but they could work for some people.

itoyo
1-Mar-2014, 08:58
I recently acquired a used Schneider 4x MC loupe for 40€ (perhaps 55 USD). Works great for me (4x5), although for extra critical focus something with more magnification would be helpful (say 8x or 10x). The good point on those high-end loupes is the big eyepoint, no distortions, no chromatic aberration. I suggest to get one without at ransparent sleeve/base/barrel or however you call this. The advantage is that you can frequently use it without a dark cloth that way. I usually check composition under the cloth, then check focus with the cloth removed - much more convenient and works for not too critical objects.

+1 . Same here

tom thomas
1-Mar-2014, 15:08
Walking by a lapidary shop in Remoulins, France, I saw this loupe in the window, about 8 Euro ($11). I wondered if it would work with my Graflex 45 and it sure does. Fits exactly when the cover is removed. I also bought a smaller one that fits Graflex 23 for less than $10. I dont' know if they are available here but they certainly give a nice viewing area for focus. The large one is called a FD90, from Balloon Brand, from China. Two of the photos are in wrong perspective, They looked good in my photo folder though.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2014, 15:34
They look nice, I see eBay has the same 90mm. What size is you smaller one?

Walking by a lapidary shop in Remoulins, France, I saw this loupe in the window, about 8 Euro ($11). I wondered if it would work with my Graflex 45 and it sure does. Fits exactly when the cover is removed. I also bought a smaller one that fits Graflex 23 for less than $10. I dont' know if they are available here but they certainly give a nice viewing area for focus. The large one is called a FD90, from Balloon Brand, from China. Two of the photos are in wrong perspective, They looked good in my photo folder though.

tom thomas
1-Mar-2014, 16:26
They look nice, I see eBay has the same 90mm. What size is you smaller one?
I think it's a 60mm. It's in France and don't remember exactly. Actually a bit more practical as can be moved around the screen to look more in the corners. This 90mm might be better for the 5X7, 8X10 and bigger crowd here.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2014, 16:57
Thanks, these appear to be linen thread counters, hence the built in scales. They have 2 and 2-1/2" which are 51 and 63mm.

I think it's a 60mm. It's in France and don't remember exactly. Actually a bit more practical as can be moved around the screen to look more in the corners. This 90mm might be better for the 5X7, 8X10 and bigger crowd here.

Cletus
1-Mar-2014, 19:02
I'm fond of the Mamiya 4X I've been using since I started LF. Excellent optics, excellent quality, and...just all around excellent loupe.

NancyP
3-Mar-2014, 12:27
What is a good magnification to start with for focusing 4 x 5 GG?

Peter De Smidt
3-Mar-2014, 14:03
It depends on the granularity of the ground glass, but something in the 3x to 7x range should suffice.

NancyP
4-Mar-2014, 08:23
Thanks. The old 50mm f/2.8 enlarger lens works nicely, but it really is too nice of a lens to use unprotected in the field (and I use it for APS-C macro, anyway). Loupes are cushioned at both ends, and the glass is set in a bit so less prone to scratching.

John Berry
7-Mar-2014, 15:50
The drugstore prescription glasses make me dizzy.Keep in mind, it doesn't mater what diopter, they are all designed to be used at appx 14 in.

Tin Can
7-Mar-2014, 16:01
I have trouble with loupes, I remove my strong progressive glasses and stick my left eye about 2 inches off the GG and achieve MY best focus that way.

I think everybody's eyes are so different, each must find what works for them. There is no single solution.