PDA

View Full Version : Diffusion sheet

Steve Goldstein
15-Jan-2014, 18:47
Some time within the past year someone posted info about a special white plastic/acrylic diffusion material that seemed better than standard 2447 plexiglas. I've tried every search I could think of, even using Google to search the Forum, but I can't find it now that I need it. The only other thing I recall is that the company name might have started with the letter "S". I knew I should have bookmarked it. Can anyone provide a link?

Thanks.

lenser
15-Jan-2014, 19:44
If you are speaking of diffusion for lighting, one of my all time favorites is Soft Frost. I think I got my last roll from Garrison-Wagner is St. Louis, but I'm not even sure if they are still in business. The last phone number I have is 314-241-9010. I don't think they ever had a web site.

Ginette
15-Jan-2014, 19:57
Hello Steve,

You probably search for diffusion material for enlarger head, see this post of Jerry Bodine http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?106071-Customized-8x10-Codelite-LED-Head-for-Variable-Contrast&p=1056250&viewfull=1#post1056250

Some posts below, he indicate me how to set up the 2 diffusion sheets http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?106071-Customized-8x10-Codelite-LED-Head-for-Variable-Contrast&p=1064809&viewfull=1#post1064809

vinny
15-Jan-2014, 20:00
If you are speaking of diffusion for lighting, one of my all time favorites is Soft Frost. I think I got my last roll from Garrison-Wagner is St. Louis, but I'm not even sure if they are still in business. The last phone number I have is 314-241-9010. I don't think they ever had a web site.

soft frost couldn't be farther from plexiglass.
that said, it's available from any expendables supply store in the country.

Steve Goldstein
15-Jan-2014, 20:09
Ginette, thank you, Jerry's post was exactly the one I was looking for.

Tin Can
16-Jan-2014, 12:41
I have been trying to find the exact material, http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/product_info.cfm?nav_id=3,1,1,38, Makrolon® LD B-48 White 3mm and the Sheffield site directs to McMaster Carr, who does not have it, last night I ordered McMaster's substitute, but it seems difficult to source the 'actual stuff'.

I will be getting this to test, I did pay for it. http://www.mcmaster.com/#8574K193

Where are you folks getting this from, I prefer to buy rather than ask for free samples.

btw, if you email McMaster Carr in the middle of the night, they answer within 2 hours, 'Ruth' was very helpful and prompt. Amazing service, nobody else has!

Ginette
16-Jan-2014, 13:13
Probably easier to ask specialized Plastic shops or Plastic suppliers. My supplier have it in Montreal. I will probably buy a whole 4x8 sheet the next time I will redo my inventory in plexiglas.
Maybe I can cut some pieces for members here, if you are not in an hurry for it. In my work, I cut, router and polish plexi sides. Just need to have the exact dimensions in mm.

Tin Can
16-Jan-2014, 15:25
Ginette, thank you, I need some for DIY LED enlarger heads. Let me see what I get and I will test it with my existing LED's. I'm still experimenting and may try to go as large as 11x14.

Since it's made in USA, I should be able to source it here, even locally in Chicago. I wrote the distributer, Sheffield, and I am waiting for a response.

I will have the McMaster Carr piece tomorrow. They treat tiny orders as if you are a big customer. Very responsive, as I noted. I often get $50 orders by courier, at the price of USPS.

I imagine for 11x14 inch enlarger head I would make the diffuser 400mm square.

Probably easier to ask specialized Plastic shops or Plastic suppliers. My supplier have it in Montreal. I will probably buy a whole 4x8 sheet the next time I will redo my inventory in plexiglas.
Maybe I can cut some pieces for members here, if you are not in an hurry for it. In my work, I cut, router and polish plexi sides. Just need to have the exact dimensions in mm.

adelorenzo
16-Jan-2014, 16:25
According to the data sheet you are losing 50-75% of your light with this material.

Ginette
16-Jan-2014, 16:59
According to the data sheet you are losing 50-75% of your light with this material.
Yes but most heads (at least cold light) had already a diffuser so the loss versus the original diffuser should not be so big. If the uniformity is better, this is the gain.

Jerry Bodine
16-Jan-2014, 18:25
Ginette, thank you, I need some for DIY LED enlarger heads. Let me see what I get and I will test it with my existing LED's. I'm still experimenting and may try to go as large as 11x14.

Since it's made in USA, I should be able to source it here, even locally in Chicago. I wrote the distributer, Sheffield, and I am waiting for a response.

I will have the McMaster Carr piece tomorrow. They treat tiny orders as if you are a big customer. Very responsive, as I noted. I often get $50 orders by courier, at the price of USPS.

I imagine for 11x14 inch enlarger head I would make the diffuser 400mm square.

Randy, I just ran across this thread, so I just want to mention that I input one of the sixteen zip codes in Chicago into Sheffield's site and came up with sixteen distributors locally for Makrolon LD B48 white (one of which was McMaster-Carr). So if you aren't satisfied with the one you bought surely you can find Makrolon LD at one of those locations. I only had six distributors near me, made a call to confirm they had it in stock, went over there and had some cut while I waited for only a few dollars. Not sure exactly what McMaster's substitute is.

Eric Biggerstaff
16-Jan-2014, 18:37
Try Taps Plastics on line, that is where I get diffuser for making selective mask neg carriers.

Tin Can
16-Jan-2014, 20:06
Jerry, I did that also and did email another supplier close to me. I need delivery as I no longer have a car, McMaster is 'supposed' to have it. I am going to see what they deliver. I have reached out to 3 local suppliers.

This is a long term project...

Randy, I just ran across this thread, so I just want to mention that I input one of the sixteen zip codes in Chicago into Sheffield's site and came up with sixteen distributors locally for Makrolon LD B48 white (one of which was McMaster-Carr). So if you aren't satisfied with the one you bought surely you can find Makrolon LD at one of those locations. I only had six distributors near me, made a call to confirm they had it in stock, went over there and had some cut while I waited for only a few dollars. Not sure exactly what McMaster's substitute is.

Jerry Bodine
16-Jan-2014, 20:08
Try Taps Plastics on line, that is where I get diffuser for making selective mask neg carriers.

Eric,
I went to my local TAP Plastics store first because that's where I've been getting all my plastic materials. However, they didn't carry the Makrolon LD, at least not when I asked them about it. I didn't ask them if they could order it, because I was certain I could get it quicker from a local Makrolon distributor that did carry it. As I recall, TAP was not shown in Sheffield's list of distributors.

Tin Can
16-Jan-2014, 20:16
Eric, I just wrote to Taps as they do not list Makrolon® LD B-48 White 3mm, they carry 'GP' which is much different.

Thanks for the tip.

gleaf
17-Jan-2014, 10:14
Opal glass is excellent however comes with a penalty for high diffusiion of transmission 30% . Edmund Optical carries it in many sizes. Usually photographic requirements are not stringent enough to need that level of diffusion.

Tin Can
19-Jan-2014, 00:11
Update, got the mystery polycarbonate from McMaster Carr last night and it is Makrolon but not as I found out through Bayer, the good Makrolon LD B-48 but some other lesser Makrolon. It is a white PC diffusion material. Hard to cut with a box knife. But it can be done. lol

Nonetheless, I have it and cut some to size for 10x10 Fotar enlarger experiments. Not too bad when used to diffuse a 12x14" LED Video light I have. It has 1000 LEDS and a dimmer, and runs 5200K I think or close to that.

I jury rigged the mess as 8x10 enlarger and I have plenty of light to the easel. No noticeable fall off or LED pin points. I'll try a quick print tomorrow.

I may be getting the Makrolon LD B-48 anyway as it was impressive in the Bayer specs and their empirical testing. I like to see proof of concept.

So kinda excited to see these results with the video light as print head, it is a big enough light source to run as 11x14 enlarger head.

I did buy these LED video lights with this purpose in mind AND to shoot video DIY info baloney, but that's boring and everybodies uncle is doing it.

How many are enlarging 11x14?

adelorenzo
19-Jan-2014, 01:06
I had been wondering about those video lights as an enlarger light source. Please keep us posted Randy, I'd love to see pics (or videos) as well.

Tin Can
19-Jan-2014, 14:24
This eBay listing is as close as I can find to what I am using, I paid a little more a year ago and mine are set at 5600K and come with filters. I bought 2 like this and a 3rd smaller with 3200K to 5600K combination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-CRI-900-LED-Video-Light-Studio-Film-Broadcast-Lighting-Free-Bag-/111260523026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e7a4da12

The LED actual light grid is 11.5x15 inches which nobody tells you, but it will be perfect for 11x14 enlarger light source. I can change color temp with the included filters.

Of course I have a lot of experimentation to do.

And now I wish I had room for a horizontal rig, I may install this in an 8x10 Elwood which does tilt horizontal and then be able to do murals. Mural paper is actually a pretty good deal from Ilford in 100 foot RC rolls.

I had been wondering about those video lights as an enlarger light source. Please keep us posted Randy, I'd love to see pics (or videos) as well.

Tin Can
20-Jan-2014, 21:04
I'm moving my story to DIY, I guess i will call call it 'Hacking 8x10 and 11x14 enlarger LED head'. See you all there, I have news.

This eBay listing is as close as I can find to what I am using, I paid a little more a year ago and mine are set at 5600K and come with filters. I bought 2 like this and a 3rd smaller with 3200K to 5600K combination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-CRI-900-LED-Video-Light-Studio-Film-Broadcast-Lighting-Free-Bag-/111260523026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e7a4da12

The LED actual light grid is 11.5x15 inches which nobody tells you, but it will be perfect for 11x14 enlarger light source. I can change color temp with the included filters.

Of course I have a lot of experimentation to do.

And now I wish I had room for a horizontal rig, I may install this in an 8x10 Elwood which does tilt horizontal and then be able to do murals. Mural paper is actually a pretty good deal from Ilford in 100 foot RC rolls.