PDA

View Full Version : Gear Stolen on Location - Need Insurance Coverage for Location/Travel Work

Edie
8-Sep-2004, 09:20
This morning I had my view camera stolen from me while on location in downtown Milwaukee. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good insurance company to provide coverage against theft while on location or while traveling.

The stolen equipment includes an Ebony 23S view camera, Schneider 80 XL lens, Gitzo 1228 tripod, Linhof Profi II ballhead, Lee filter holder, and Horseman 6x9 film holder.

I was able to get two exposures off before three guys drove up in a slick, gray sportscar with dark tinted windows. I knew something was wrong when I noticed the trunk of the car was popped open. The driver got out, looked at my gear and said, "Nice camera, I think I'll take it." He grabbed the camera, I grabbed the tripod, we struggled briefly until he warned me I'd get hurt. As he threw the camera into his trunk, I ran to the front of his car to get his license plate number. He drove off and I called the police with the license plate number. The whole thing was captured on video, and the police are following up on it.

I'm sharing this so others can be aware of it, maybe take some precautions, though exactly what, I don't know. I don't believe that struggling over some camera gear is a good idea, no matter how expensive. Being a woman, I feel one's personal safety is far more important. At a minimum, people should have insurance coverage for things that just happen out of the blue.

For those who have insurance, can you share the name of the company who provides the coverage and any contact information? Thanks much.

John Cook
8-Sep-2004, 09:44
Traditionally, camera insurance has always been prohibitively expensive. Last time I checked was about 5% per year. That’s a pile of money on a studio full of gear.

I have also heard many stories of insurance companies paying the first claim and then cancelling the policy.

Don’t think there is an easy answer to your problem, beyond hiring an assistant whose knuckles drag. There are places here in Massachusetts I refuse to work in...

Gem Singer
8-Sep-2004, 10:12
Hi Edie,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'm impressed that you had the presence of mind to get the license number and pleased that you were not injured. I have heard of many cases of "car jacking", but never heard of a case of "camera jacking" before.

If you have homeowner's or tenant's insurance, check with your agent. You may be covered for, at least, part of the loss. Camera insurance is expensive and requires that you furnish an up-to-date list of the description and serial number of each item covered in the policy. It seems to be in the same category as jewelry and fur insurance.

Hope that you are able to recover the camera equipment in one piece.

Brian Ellis
8-Sep-2004, 10:20
Sorry to hear of your loss. When I had some camera equipment stolen out of my car many years ago my home owners policy covered it.

Steve Hamley
8-Sep-2004, 10:27
Edie,

Glad you're O.K.

If you aren't a "pro", State Farm will cover it under a personal articles policy for about 1% of the insured value. I have my auto insurance with them.

Steve

Andre Noble
8-Sep-2004, 10:31
This is a $625
lifetime policy (http://www.swfirearms.vista.com/store/index.php3?cat=293596&item=865231&sw_activeTab=1). Good thing is you can file your claim instantly and not have your policy canceled!

Joseph Dickerson
8-Sep-2004, 10:50
Edie,

Nanpa (North America Nature Photographer's Association) has a group insurance policy available for members.

Look at their web site.

Andre Noble
8-Sep-2004, 10:57
Oops, my apologies, I re-read your post and see your are a woman. Perhaps by imagination, but likely less inclined to solution "A". Nevertheless, I hope you get to testify against the bastard one day. He'll have time in prison to remember what he did.

Sometimes professional insurance isn't worth it. If you calculate the premium (cities are very high) and deductible and it would take an large loss each year for it to even begin paying against the insured value.

jnantz
8-Sep-2004, 11:03
try utica national insurance group. you can get liability & a "floater" policy.

the "floater" covers you when you are away from your studio &C. i think mine costs 5-600$ / year

good luck!

-john

Ralph Barker
8-Sep-2004, 11:11
Sorry to hear of your situation, Edie. I hope the police find the camera-jacker and your gear.

Although I don't have any specific recommendations for you, I'd be cautious about relying on a homeowner's policy for camera coverage. I've heard of horror stories about the homeowner's policy being cancelled after the first camera claim. In areas where it is difficult to get a new homeowner's policy, this can be a disaster on its own. Although more expensive, a business liability policy with an equipment floater may be a better option.

Ted Harris
8-Sep-2004, 11:32
To add to Ralph's comments you need to know that it is not enough to NOT consider yourself a pro. I f you use the equipment in any way to make ANY money then it is not a wise idea to cover it under your Homeowners Policy. Commercial policies are available and John Cook was in the right ballpark on prices. I cover ONLY the gear that leaves the studio figuring the stuff that never moves is reasonably safe and otherwise covered.

I would have to look at the policy for the exsact dollar amount of the coverage but it is something like $12,000 - $14,000 and I pay less than $500 a year. To me that is a small price to pay for a possible major loss and I once did lose a camera when the wind blew it over. The company is Peerless Insurance http://www.peerless-ins.com/ and I buy through my agent.

MIke Sherck
8-Sep-2004, 13:05
I've very glad that you weren't injured. I hope that the police find the people who robbed you (don't forget to mention in your report that he threatened to hurt you -- that should add to the severity of his sentence.) Please let us know what happens and especially if you learn anything about how to mitigate this type of loss. Did you have records of the serial numbers of your equipment?

Mike S.

Mark Windom
8-Sep-2004, 13:34
Look into getting an Inland Marine Policy with State Farm. It's reasonably priced and will cover professionally used equipment when traveling...at least mine did.

Bill_1856
8-Sep-2004, 13:51
For non-commercial coverage, the least expensive route is probably to add a camera floater to your home policy. It will have the same deductible as your present coverage and the chances of cancellation after making a claim are pretty small.

David Karp
8-Sep-2004, 14:02
I'm glad you are OK. What a frightening experience. Guess that vulnerable feeling I have in some locations while under the dark cloth is justified.

I wonder if the thief thought that there was a hugh market out there for medium format view cameras. On second thought, keep your eye on the auction sites!

Let's hope they catch these jerks.

jnantz
8-Sep-2004, 15:07
hi again -

the "floater" i suggested is an inland marine :)

i hope you find your gear!

Alan Davenport
8-Sep-2004, 16:06
This is a $625
lifetime policy (http://www.swfirearms.vista.com/store/index.php3?cat=293596&item=865231&sw_activeTab=1).

Seems a little underpowered...

Mike Davis
8-Sep-2004, 16:43
I have to agree with Alan. The $625 policy is underpowered and overly expensive. There are other better policies available cheaper if desired and obtainable in your state.

It is good that you have the license number.

Andre Noble
8-Sep-2004, 18:05
Yes, you could say it's underpowered and it's got a large deductible, but I'm not looking to bankrupt the company, if you know what I mean.

Frank Petronio
8-Sep-2004, 19:08
What kind of stupid thief would steal something like that while allowing you to identify him and his license plate? Something strange is going on. Chances are that he will be caught shortly, and you have a good chance of recovering your gear. But for something like that to happen in Milwaukee, then you need either a gun, a big dog, or a partner to accompany you.

David G. Gagnon
8-Sep-2004, 21:00
Lisence plates are on the front of cars in Wisconsin? You're lucky he didn't run you over in the process.

Good luck. DG

Andre Noble
8-Sep-2004, 21:59
C'mon guys: sports car obviously stolen. rear plates pre-removed by thieves who quickly commit another crime, ditch car, sell gear, return to safe house, get high, go to another city, repeat.

This is the type of job Timothy McVeigh held before becoming a full fledged terrorist.