PDA

View Full Version : what is your choice? Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810?

originalphoto
14-Jan-2014, 11:45
I try to decide which one 810 camera I should buy. My final list contains two, Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810 and I never use either of them. Ebony SV810 is $6999 plus shipping and Lotus Rapid Field 810 is $6250 that includes everything plus a lens board. Both of them are 5kg that I could manage since I do not plan to put it on my backpack.

Drew Wiley
14-Jan-2014, 11:57
Buy one of each, and whichever one you don't like, give to me! But I think you'll discover the Ebony is generally more available. The titanium hardware on the Ebony
is absolutely the best for durability, and they machine the wood more precisely than anyone else. But that Lotus is a lovely machine too, and if I had one, would want the original delrin gear track for smoothness, versus the American version with brass, which is not in fact as durable per wear, only with respect to sand or
grit getting embedded.

Lachlan 717
14-Jan-2014, 13:01
What lens/lenses do you have to put on them?

originalphoto
14-Jan-2014, 13:42
Currently I have XVa, apo-symmar 240mm, dagor 300/6.8, dagor 360/7.7, vitax #2, I may try to find a 210mm lens later.

Drew Wiley
14-Jan-2014, 13:55
Well, these are all mid-range lenses, so either camera will give you plenty of extra bellows room if you need to go longer focal lengths.

originalphoto
14-Jan-2014, 13:59
Well, these are all mid-range lenses, so either camera will give you plenty of extra bellows room if you need to go longer focal lengths.

Not really. XVa is a Triple Convertible Lens that comes with three Focal lengths: 645mm (front cell only), 476mm (back cell only), 311mm (front + back).

Daniel Stone
14-Jan-2014, 19:58
You probably have already considered this, but I have to ask:
Have you considered a brand-new Chamonix, or a *used* Deardorff? Heck, buy a used one, send it to Richard Ritter to get fully refurbished, and the g/g alignment perfected(since decades of film holders going in/out might have loosed up tolerances a bit)... You'll probably save yourself a few grand, at the minimum...

Those would be under $3500 or so(Deardorff+refinishing)? That's a LOT of film to make up the price differential, even at today's market prices.

But it's your money, just tossing out a question...

-Dan

Andrew Plume
15-Jan-2014, 04:12
You probably have already considered this, but I have to ask:
Have you considered a brand-new Chamonix, or a *used* Deardorff? Heck, buy a used one, send it to Richard Ritter to get fully refurbished, and the g/g alignment perfected(since decades of film holders going in/out might have loosed up tolerances a bit)... You'll probably save yourself a few grand, at the minimum...

Those would be under $3500 or so(Deardorff+refinishing)? That's a LOT of film to make up the price differential, even at today's market prices.

+1

you really do not have to buy a brand spanking new one - plenty of used 10x8's around, particularly in the US

regards

andrew

But it's your money, just tossing out a question...

-Dan

originalphoto
15-Jan-2014, 06:29
Thanks for your input. I sold my E+ Canham traditional 810 before I returned to US and I though it should be quite easy to find a good used one. But I looked around and did not find a good one that I like. I may need more patience.

Bruce Barlow
15-Jan-2014, 06:31
Heck, buy a Ritter 8x10. Mine is wonderful, and very, very light. About $3,000, if memory serves.

Drew Wiley
15-Jan-2014, 10:02
Anyone who uses an Ebony camera understands why they are so expensive. A lot goes into them. They make a simplified and less expensive RW field camera in
8X10 just like in 4x5, but even it has more features than the average field folder, and is reasonably lightweight around 11 lbs. There are quite a few cameras which
are well made and will do the job. But if one has the budget for Ebony, why not? And in this case, having the lightest wt option was not the stated priority. Not
everyone is a backpacker (though I am).

angusparker
15-Jan-2014, 10:14
Agreed the Ritter is a great lightweight 8x10 - I have one myself - but it's not as "precise" due to the lack of zero position presets, more for backpacking. I also have a Chamonix 4x5 and imagine the 8x10 is a more serious contender as an alternative to an Ebony - much of the design is the same for starters. But if you have the money to get a true work of art then go for the Ebony it will go nicely with the XVa! The min and max bellows extensions on the Ebony seem to be very generous 125-850mm and they weigh between 9-12 lbs depending on the model, pretty decent.

evan clarke
15-Jan-2014, 10:44
I have too many cameras to list but my Chamonix 8x10 is my favorite. Perfectly made, ultra light, a joy to use.

Michael Alpert
15-Jan-2014, 11:08
You are not going to find anyone who has both cameras, so opinions need to taken with a grain of salt. I bought a SV810 from Badger in 2002, and I still like it very much. It's a wooden field camera, so it is not as smooth in operation as a metal camera like an Arca-Swiss. But it is solid even when used with a long lens, and it is easy to set up and put away. Another consideration that led me to spend so much money (less than today's price) for the camera is that it is made with titanium metal parts that I am quite sure will outlast me. I feel that this camera will never need to be replaced. With that said, I should add that I've never seen the Lotus camera. It may be as good; it certainly has a good reputation. Anyway, another advantage of the Ebony is that you have a dealer (Badger Graphic Sales) relatively nearby. I recommend Jeff at Badger without reservation.

Jim Becia
15-Jan-2014, 11:22
I have an Ebony RW810 (double extension) and love it. The SV (triple extension) would be the one camera that I would buy in a heartbeat if I could find a "reasonable" one, like that is going to happen. Like Drew and Michael, I think the money is well spent. What basically made the decision for me was the simplicity and the zero precision presets, detents, whatever they are called. I have not been disappointed.

e
16-Jan-2014, 01:28
I just bought the ultralight model Ebony SLW8x10..simple and easy to set up..
I think the titanium is the best reason for the Ebony camera..
This one is smooth as hell..
I like my Dorff too...but its heavy...but sweet..

originalphoto
16-Jan-2014, 09:22
SLW does not have shift function, does it?

Michael Alpert
16-Jan-2014, 20:20
You will find accurate information about Ebony Cameras on this website:

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html

originalphoto
24-Jan-2014, 12:55
Found Ebony. Thanks,

Robert Skeoch
24-Jan-2014, 13:21
I had the SV810 for a number of years. I thought it was the nicest camera on the market. After I sold it I bought a Shen-Hao 4x10. It's nice but not in the same class. I also used a Dorff for a number of years, over rated and not in the same class as the Ebony.
-rob

originalphoto
24-Jan-2014, 14:00
One of drawbacks is the weight, I originally want to buy Honduran mahogany one, but I got Ebony wood version SV810E. For used one, i have no too much choice since very few of them hit on market. Thanks for input and can't wait to put my hand on it.

Drew Wiley
24-Jan-2014, 17:21
Ebony wood is much more resistant to abrasion wear than mahogany, but besides the obvious weight disadvantage, is also rather prone to endgrain splitting if the
sealant finish wear off. But I bought my Ebony specifically to be lightweight, so went with mahogany, and this is a wood that they do right. All such materials have
to be properly cured, even if you're lucky enough to acquire remnants of true pattern grade cut. The old Dorffs were correct too, and Wisner understood wood, though his overall designs and hardware seem relatively flimsy, but many of the less expensive wooden cameras out there are iffy with respect to the wood they
use. You can just use any cut of mahogany. Canham wisely went with black walnut for his own wooden cameras - pretty and stable, but not quite a light as certain other things. Otherwise, it's the new era of composites rather than types of wood which exist in mere recycled remnants now, or hoarded in private drying vaults.

Tim Meisburger
24-Jan-2014, 17:37
Yes, knowing wood and the properties of wood and the way it changes over time and in different environments can be almost paralysing. Dimensional stability and the close tolerances required in different directions in cameras mean compromises have to be made. Many modern builders avoid this by using dimensional stable materials like plywood or composites, and happily machine away. The very best builders do understand wood and do amazing work shaping a living material into a tight precision machine. Ebony does that.