PDA

View Full Version : Plaubel 8x10

Arash
13-Jan-2014, 18:03
Hello everyone!

I'm going to buy an 8x10 camera, sadly the only thing i know until i meet the guy is that it is a Plaubel 8x10 with many different lenses(I think i heard schneider 121, 300 and a helium) and so on, Is there anything specific to look for when buying a Plaubel? how can i recognize the exact model? If i understand correctly there are two different models of Plaubel 8x10.

Is it as a whole a camera you would recommend? I'm new to largeformat and just bought my first cambo 4x5 and a super angulon 90. This 8x10 is not going to be cheap and i'm not sure if i can give it back afterwards so i better be as smart as i can be.

Also is there any way to test a polaroid 8x10 developer without the film? If i remember correctly our common friend said also something about an eastern german Zeiss Jena scanner back, have you heard of anything like that?

Regards,
Arash

Bob Mann
13-Jan-2014, 18:14
Lens boards can be hard to locate outside of Europe and tend to be expensive when they are for sale.

Arash
13-Jan-2014, 18:25
From what i've heard there are lens boards for all kinds of shutters included in the deal

Leigh
13-Jan-2014, 18:30
I have a 4x5 Plaubel studio camera. I believe it's the "Profia" model, but that name does not appear on it.

It's a very good camera, typical high German quality. Made in Frankfurt IIRC.

The company is still in business.

- Leigh

Arash
13-Jan-2014, 18:55
True leigh, I guess they are one of the most underappreciated camera makers who are still around after a hundred years.

There are 2 different Profia 8x10, Pico Profia NT and Pico Profia ZT, wanted to know what the different is and how to tell them apart.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Jan-2014, 19:02
Depending on the focal length, the Heliar is a very nice portrait lens. I use a 360mm on 8x10" (the very one in my avatar).

But if it's really a "helium" lens, you might need to weight it down.

Arash
13-Jan-2014, 19:25
Haha, I'm not even sure if that was a typo, I was quite sure(in my unconsciousness) they have helium inside or something like that to make portraits look softer, guess my brain autocorrected heliar to helium whenever i read heliar anywhere. I'll try to weight it down though!

Leonard Robertson
13-Jan-2014, 19:43
Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaubel about half way down the page gives some information on the NT and ZT. It refers to the ZT having "precision drive" which I take to mean gear drives on the camera movements, although I really don't know. The ZT is heavier than the NT by a few pounds.

This page is in French, but looks to have detailed information on the NT and ZT. It is probably worth doing a copy and paste into Google Translate. Unless of course you are fortunate enough to read French.

http://www.galerie-photo.com/chambres-photo-plaubel.html

Len

Arash
13-Jan-2014, 20:04
Luckily I don't speak french(my poor brain has enough language mixup already), I don't even like listening to french(except when the narrator is female). google and bing translator say respectively:
-Shift in height on the rack version of ZT
-Shift in height by rack on the ZT version

What do you make of that? how does it translate to visual differentiation?

Tin Can
13-Jan-2014, 20:16
As it's German the camera will be built well, the key to success here is making sure it is fully functional with no broken parts, gears, knobs, etc. Bellows can be made. Good lenses will be worth more than the camera. Film holders are always a consideration.

Many things can be made, but can you make and fix anything broken?

If the package is under $500 it is a steal, if it's $1K to $2K, it better be special in all ways. If they are asking more than those numbers it is simply too expensive for a first 8x10.

IMHO

Arash
13-Jan-2014, 20:34
Randy, I think It will be much more than 2k, however he has many lenses, film holders(many sheet and two polaroid and polaroid developers), reduction backs to 4x5 and 5x7 and so on included, of course i don't know the details and everything can vary.

Leonard Robertson
14-Jan-2014, 10:40
My educated guess on the phrase "Shift in height by rack on the ZT version" is it refers to the ZT having geared rise and fall on the standards. Meaning the rise/fall is done by turning a knob which controls the rise by a rack and pinion gear, rather than loosening a lock knob and sliding the front or rear up and down by hand as many view cameras do. Geared movement would be a nice feature, but may not be worth the added weight.

I tried doing Google Translate on the French site I posted the link to. I didn't realize how much Translate struggles with French to English. I've mostly used Translate for German to English and is works pretty well.

You mentioned you are somewhat new to large format. I imagine you are familiar with lens image circles and coverage of the different formats. 8X10 format needs a much bigger image circle than smaller formats. So when looking at the lenses included with this outfit, keep in mind they may or may not all be usable for 8X10. Usually a lens which can cover 8X10 format is worth more than a lens which can only cover 4X5 or 5X7. I don't know if you will be able to look at this outfit and post a list of the lenses included before you buy. Then we can tell you the coverage of the lenses. It seems to me prices on view camera lenses have been falling over the last few years. The seller of this outfit may not know this and have an unrealistic idea of the values of the lenses.

Len

plaubel
14-Jan-2014, 18:49
Plaubel 8x10 is rare, even in germany. Prices ( cam only) seem to be nearly 1000.- here.
Accessories are often available ( Except expensive bellows and rear standards), mostly cheep.
Like Sinar, you can adapt everything and any format of the Profia system.
You can buy a Profia 4x5" , nearly 250 to 300 Dollars, and adapt, if your 8x10 is to short.
For lensboards you have to pay nearly 30 Euro, so maybe around 30 to 40 Dollars.
If there is something wrong with your 8x10, you will be able to find out - the mechanism is good, and easy to understand.

I use "NT" 4x5" and 5x7", and sometimes both together as one camera; I don't miss any "ZT".

Greetings,
Ritchie

Andrew Plume
15-Jan-2014, 04:06
yes, they certainly are unappreciated

I bought a 4x5/9x12 twelve months ago just to see what it was like, I was really impressed and sold it on to fund something else

..............anyhow a semi-retired professional London based photographer had been trying to sell his 10 x 8 Plaubel, plus 4 x 5 back, two sets of bellows and boards for a couple of years (maybe less), just couldn't attract any interest, I bought the lot for £300. It's been well used but well maintained, pretty heavy of course but very sturdy. I'm very happy and have no doubts at all in endorsing the Plaubel line of Monorails

Inevitably they're overlooked by those who prefer Arca and Sinar but when you look at the price of a used 10 x 8 Sinar in Europe, they can be great value

go and buy it

regards

andrew

Arash
15-Jan-2014, 16:48
I'm going for it! wish me the bests, it's kind of a blind buy but that is what i am good at(thanks to the persian roots), Anyone has heard anything about a zeiss jena digital scanning back? something from like 20 years ago? also i still have the question that how would i be able to differentiate between ZT and NT?

Thanks everyone,
Arash

John Kasaian
15-Jan-2014, 17:20
It sounds like a really nice kit!

plaubel
16-Jan-2014, 12:34
I'm going for it! i still have the question that how would i be able to differentiate between ZT and NT?

You either have to use your hands only, or you have to use knobs, like Len said...