PDA

View Full Version : L.A. flyovers... safe places to wander with LF?

mortensen
13-Jan-2014, 15:51
I will have a couple of days in L.A. in the end of march and I would like to add a couple of pictures to my ongoing "infra/super/structure" project (working title...) It currently includes dams, gasholders, flyovers, tunnels, reservoirs etc... nothing groundbreakingly new, I know, but its an interesting frame for me.

Nevertheless, I would like to shoot The Stack (101/110 four level interchange), and the 105/110 five level interchange as these are tallest I have found yet. But are these safe places to venture around on foot with a 4x5? What part of the day is ok? And how should I approach this without looking suspicious to bypassing people/police? Looking at street view, all the green areas seem fenced, but it could be a great advantage with the Harbor Freeway light rail station within the 105/110 interchange... that should enable some moving around on foot, right?

Are there other interchanges I should look into that exhibit great shapes and geometry from the ground?

thanks in advance, L.A. residents! :D

btw, I was for a moment considering mortgaging myself deeply and do it 'burtynsky-style':
http://www.canadianart.ca/wp-content/uploads/online/see-it/2010/05/26/burtynsky1_1000.jpg

ScottPhotoCo
13-Jan-2014, 15:58
Hello Lars,

As I just moved here a short while ago I'm afraid that I can't answer many questions. The Capitol Records building is quite iconic as is Walt Disney Concert Hall. Those are a couple off of the top of my head.

If I can be of assistance while you're here just PM me and I'll send my contact info. Always happy to help a fellow LF'er.

vinny
13-Jan-2014, 19:12
This one is north of L.A. on the way to santa clarita and is quite accessible* on foot. I scouted it ahead of time and parked right on site where the no parking signs were (cinematic immunity). I'm not all that happy with this image but I'll post it since you're looking for stuff like this.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5490/11939190965_0d6fa458c5_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62218065@N00/11939190965/)
5/14 interchange (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62218065@N00/11939190965/) by vinnywalsh.com (http://www.flickr.com/people/62218065@N00/), on Flickr

*feb 2012, they're probably still working on it if it's anything like any other freeway project in california that takes a minimum of a decade

Kevin Crisp
13-Jan-2014, 20:25
I work downtown and often go for an hour walk at lunch covering a lot of ground in many directions. Downtown LA is actually improving quite a bit. I fought moving our office downtown for decades and now that I'm here I think it is great. You will be panhandled mercilessly in many places, but most of downtown I would not consider remotely dangerous. The area around the big interchange isn't a particularly bad area and it is a long way from ski row. There are lots of mentally ill people on the streets but in the two years I've been encoutering them I've never had a problem. Being 6'5" and 230 pounds might have something to do with that. I would not hesitate to walk around downtown on a week day and use a 4X5 camera. But I've never put my head under a dark cloth for a long period of time downtown. People set up tripods all the time with expensive digital cameras, day and night, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Don't jaywalk, they are cracking down.

MikeH
13-Jan-2014, 20:30
I would like to shoot The Stack (101/110 four level interchange), and the 105/110 five level interchange

When you say "The Stack," I think you're referring to the Four Level Interchange, which has some historical significance as well. I live several miles form there and grew up in Pasadena. Can't tell you how many times I've driven through it in the north to south (& vv.) direction, but never thought about it photographically...

Sunset Blvd. is to the north. There *has* to be sidewalks - I've never been over that bridge but if I'm near there I'll check it out. The only problem will be that you probably need spring or summer a.m. light from that vantage point.

There might be some that disagree with me, but neither the 4 Level or the 105/110 interchange are in safe areas. I wouldn't set up a 4x5 at night near either. The 5/14, as suggested by Vinny, is probably much safer. It's about a 45 minute drive north from LAX on one of the world's worst freeways: the 405. 45 minutes if it's running ok, 2 hours if it's not. I'll keep an eye out for others as I drive around. If you're looking for height, the following come to mind:

Interstate 10 / 71 / 57 in the Pomona area, 35 miles or so east of LAX.
The 10 & 405 near Santa Monica, 10 miles north of LAX.
Maybe the 10 / 15 interchange near Rancho Cucamonga (anyone closer have a better opinion?)

Kevin Crisp
13-Jan-2014, 20:35
I agree on the 105/110 interchange. I would avoid it. The 10/15 should be OK.

Daniel Stone
13-Jan-2014, 23:18
Maybe the 10 / 15 interchange near Rancho Cucamonga (anyone closer have a better opinion?)

I'd agree. I live approx 25mi from R.C. The 10/15 interchange is TALL, but doesn't have a huge amount of intersecting lines, unless you use a wide angle lens. Stopping/parking and setting up a camera might be a problem too, since both fwy's are VERY busy 24/7/365. Both are heavy-trafficked truck routes, so if you attempt to stop and photograph, make sure you're well off the road.

Use google maps if possible to scout from your computer @ home, this way you can "see it" w/o driving all over so. Cal and wasting precious time ;-)

-Dan

John Kasaian
14-Jan-2014, 20:26
Contact a local (LA) university with a photography department and make some friends. Faculty might have connections with Caltrans or CHP when it comes to taking students to fenced off locations. Another option would be to contact the CHP(California Highway Patrol) yourself and speak with their public affairs officer. Tell them you're from a foreign country and wish to take some photographs under n interchange and see what it takes to get official permission (if you have the backing of a publication to give you press credentials, that would help!) You'll not only need permission to be there, but directions on how to safely get to these spaces. another option would be to find out who is the landscape contractor and offer them some prints of their freeway landscaping in exchange for access, which of course they'd already have.
Yet another angle would be to contact whichever department oversees roadside trash pickups, find out when your piece of asphalt is scheduled to be groomed and ask to tag along(you'll have to wear an orange safety vest!) Don't give up and know the concerns of the officials you're speaking with(public safety, trespassing, graffiti etc...) so you can address those concerns.

mortensen
15-Jan-2014, 02:47
Thanks everyone - valuable information in here as always. Much appreciated!
@ Vinny: well, I really like that picture! Both the composition and the light. It escapes me, how such a picture can not be part of your portfolio... but you might have higher standards than I have. Thanks for sharing the place. It is precisely that kind of photographs I am hoping to get.
@ Kevin, MikeH & Daniel: thanks for considerations and , I'll look into the places... a pity that you consider the 105/110 to be a dangerous place. I have been working with 4x5 in some of the poorest slums and outskirts of Mumbai, Delhi and Ahmedabad (see my website below) and had no problems worth mentioning, but given the amount of fire arms in your dear country, I might hesitate taking any chances... I have a wife and 8 months old son that I hold very dear!
@ John: Great suggestions! will look into it. Unfortunately my time is very limited, so I might prefer places that are 'readily available' and require no appointment or permission... If that at all exists :) Shooting the interchanges is part of a long term project on infrastructure in general in many locations (dams, gasholder, reservoirs etc - switzerland, japan, denmark etc.) so I might be able to produce a little story about 'the bigger picture'

While I have all you locals' attention, let me ask a couple of other questions:
- are these interchanges, i your opinion, already done to death by you local, talented photographers?
- and, as a quite different matter, do you have any tips to high vantage points looking out on the vast sprawl of L.A.? Great places in Hollywood Hills? Viewpoints lesser known than Griffith Observatory?

best,
lars

John Kasaian
15-Jan-2014, 08:00
Mulholland drive comes to mind. The view from the Getty Museum might interest you as well.
Be careful as there are some very dangerous areas in LA, many right off the freeway!
Once I was driving around an industrial area Carson, obviously quite lost, looking for fishing rod manufacturer when an LAPD cruiser came from behind and on the speaker ordered me to " leave the are NOW!"
Gang violence is an issue you need to be aware of! When you have an idea of the places you want to visit, consult the desk clerk at your hotel or the cops at the local doughnut shop.
Stay safe!

ataim
15-Jan-2014, 08:16
You will be panhandled mercilessly in many places, but most of downtown I would not consider remotely dangerous.

When I'm in an area that has panhandlers I'm proactive and ask them for money or a cig before they can ask me. I've also offered to pay them five or ten bucks to watch my back (depending on what they look/act like).

Richard Wasserman
15-Jan-2014, 08:38
I've met many homeless people when photographing and I always give them a dollar or two. I found many of them them to be interesting and happy to have someone to talk to. They are often curious about the old-fashioned camera and what I am photographing. More than once I was warned to avoid certain individuals as unsafe, and once I was invited to share a bottle of wine (which I politely declined). I have done a lot of work in somewhat dicey areas, including LA, and never had a problem. I'm usually alone, and try to be as aware of my surroundings as possible. If an area doesn't feel right I will not shoot there. Maybe I'm just lucky?

AtlantaTerry
15-Jan-2014, 10:40
A year or two ago I believe I read that the officials at the Disney Concert Hall either do not want you to photograph it or they wanted a fee.

For those who live in Los Angeles is this true?

mortensen
15-Jan-2014, 11:03
A year or two ago I believe I read that the officials at the Disney Concert Hall either do not want you to photograph it or they wanted a fee.

For those who live in Los Angeles is this true?

Well, I would never spend a 4x5 negative on that building ;) Gehry is more a sculptor than an architect, imo.
Thanks for input, John, Paul and Richard - I will certainly take my precautions, plan locations from home and do my homework regarding safety issues. If possible, I was thinking about going really early in the morning - I guess thats safer anywhere than afternoon, dusk and night, right?

Michael Clark
18-Jan-2014, 22:34
Mortenson, I have photographed in L.A. alot, live about 20 miles a way from L.A. city and never really had any problems. I go out early Sunday or Saturday mornings when there is hardly anybody around. Have not photographed the large freeway interchanges but do go to the L.A. river area and allso the old commercial areas where there is still some interesting old architecture. If you are interested in meeting up to do some early morning photo trips let me know.

Mike

mortensen
17-Mar-2014, 15:00
Resurrecting this good'ol (well, not so old) thread, since I'm leaving in a few days. I'll only have 2 full days of shooting in L.A. on my own - I plan to spend it on the following:
day 1: 10/57/71; 10/15 and 10/215 interchanges plus the Rancho Cucamonga industrial area and the San Gabriel Reservoir if time allows
day 2: 5/14 interchange, Big Tujunga Dam and maybe some debris dams in the foothills off of the 210

... how does that sound? Safe? manageable within long days?

@ Michael Clark: Sorry I didn't get back to you... have had some extremely busy weeks and will, as mentioned, only have 2 full days of shooting... Next time :)

MikeH
17-Mar-2014, 15:31
Geographically, the San Gabriel Reservoir is the furthest west, the 10/57/71 is east and south, the 10/15 is east again, then the 10/215 is east again. Each of these is separated by 20 minutes or 1/2 hour. Lighting will be your biggest problem.

The 5/14 and Big Tujunga Dam are maybe 1/2 hour or less apart (?) (Someone else have better info?). So all if this should be very easy.

This morning I drove through "The Stack" that you originally mentioned at the start of this thread. It would be difficult to shoot a wide shot because some of it is now in bright sun and other parts in heavy shade. Unless you are using a telephoto, it needs to be shot in the summer. Thank you for bringing this up: it made me realize that there was something to photograph 10 miles from my home...

Please feel free to call my cell when you're here if you want directions or advice.

Michael Clark
17-Mar-2014, 18:16
Resurrecting this good'ol (well, not so old) thread, since I'm leaving in a few days. I'll only have 2 full days of shooting in L.A. on my own - I plan to spend it on the following:
day 1: 10/57/71; 10/15 and 10/215 interchanges plus the Rancho Cucamonga industrial area and the San Gabriel Reservoir if time allows
day 2: 5/14 interchange, Big Tujunga Dam and maybe some debris dams in the foothills off of the 210

... how does that sound? Safe? manageable within long days?

@ Michael Clark: Sorry I didn't get back to you... have had some extremely busy weeks and will, as mentioned, only have 2 full days of shooting... Next time :)

Thats quiet all right, if you have time visit the Getty center as there is an Ansel Adams print display going on now.

Mike

mortensen
18-Mar-2014, 03:05
... thanks MikeH and Mike, good to know it's doable.
BUT... the crucial matter - are the areas and interchanges mentioned SAFE places to wander on foot from the car?

btw, MikeH, you are right: there is always something visually significant - even in tiny Copenhagen where I am from:

empty gasholder, which the energy company unfortunately blew up a year ago

MikeH
18-Mar-2014, 07:34
I'm not totally familiar with the Big Tujunga Dam area or the 10/215, but the others are safe, and Big Tujunga and the 10/215 probably are also.

joselsgil
22-Mar-2014, 22:30
Mortensen,

Try to look official when photographing the places you have listed. Wear a safety, bright orange or green, vest and if possible a hard hat. If you look like you are supposed to be there, you won't get bothered as much. If an official vehicle approaches you, just smile and wave.

Jose

lab black
23-Mar-2014, 01:04
I can not comment with absolute certainty on the safety of the locations that you have chosen, but in general terms, they are safe to someone who is sensitive to their surroundings. The 110 south at the 105, perhaps the most interesting, would be, in my opinion the most difficult of the interchanges to photograph. Please know that law enforcement officials do not typically understand the artistic appeal of someone photographing a freeway overpass. Also, I know the 10/71/210 interchange quite well and while I would not expect that you would encounter any problems, the neighborhood directly south, Pomona is one that is known for criminal activities. The enclave of homes that butts up against the 10 at the 71 is one that is an extremely high risk area. Most likely, in the early morning you will not have any problems, but even so, I would take the typical precautions of not leaving anything in the car and if you do need to leave something in the trunk, to only open the trunk, in a location, that is far removed from from where you are parking the car.

Best of luck

mortensen
3-Apr-2014, 01:50
Thanks again, all of you - I had a good trip and had two good days of shooting. No problems at all, apart from being stranded in the foothills a couple of hours because of car crash in front of me (I wasn't inflicted, though).
Vinny, a big thanks for the tip on the 5/14, undoubtedly the best locations of all of them! I'm not sure I can match your shot, but I certainly blew some negs in that area. I hope you don't mind a bit of plagiarism...

Interesting, how absolutely everything is fenced in and heavily signposted. It is surprisingly little of your vast city that is actually accessible! It is a lot easier in China and India to get access to locations... Who'd'a'thunk?

djhopscotch
3-Apr-2014, 09:25
Mortensen,

Try to look official when photographing the places you have listed. Wear a safety, bright orange or green, vest and if possible a hard hat. If you look like you are supposed to be there, you won't get bothered as much. If an official vehicle approaches you, just smile and wave.

Jose

If you are on Caltrans ROW on a freeway without an access permit, they can confiscate your equipment. Stay off the roads, and stay behind guard rails and walls. Trying to look offical can cause more problems with Caltrans than just feigning ignorance and not looking official.

joselsgil
5-Apr-2014, 00:23
If you are on Caltrans ROW on a freeway without an access permit, they can confiscate your equipment. Stay off the roads, and stay behind guard rails and walls. Trying to look offical can cause more problems with Caltrans than just feigning ignorance and not looking official.

My advice comes from personal experience. While working on the side of the freeway 10/710 in East L.A. My co-worker and I managed to cause a small traffic jam when five CHP officers stopped by to see what we were doing. We were legit and had a permit to work in the area.
One CHP officer suggested that we get a "men working" sign, and that way Cal Trans or CHP, would for the most part, not stop and question us. It worked like a charm :)

mortensen
5-Apr-2014, 13:26
... I never intended to work on the road - just next to it. But most freeway areas were fenced off. Again, the 5/14 was great - and accessible.