PDA

View Full Version : 30"x40" drum processor ...

Ian_4614
6-Sep-2004, 15:58
This being my first post on this forum I apologize if it is not appropriate. I have enjoyed medium and large format photography for may years using Nikon F2, Mamiya RB67, and Linhof Master Technica equipment. I have also had a large dedicated darkroom equipped for both B&W and color processing.

Because I have not used the darkroom for many years I am considering selling much of the equipment but have no idea on value or interest. Much of the equipment I have is quite unique and rare, it includes:

- MAFI automatic/manual drum processor capable of processing color and B&W roll and sheet film and/or prints up to 11 x 14. Full temp controlled chemical baths. A very interesting unit

- Kodak A30 Drum Processor- including drums for 16x20, 24x30 and 30x40 prints, includes stainless steel chemical containers and temperature controlled chemical bath. Ideal for those interested in large prints

I also have the usual trays, water control panel, timers, Saunders LPL DM4500 color enlarger, and a Durst RCP20 processor.

Any and all comments would be welcome.

Ian

Gem Singer
6-Sep-2004, 18:30
Apology accepted Ian. These types of items are worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay for them. Now, please take this thinly disguised classified advertisment to E-Bay, where it belongs. Sorry to be so abrupt, but you did say, "any and all comments would be welcome").

S. Wang
6-Sep-2004, 19:36
This one should be deleted.

Ian_4614
6-Sep-2004, 19:50
I can honestly say I was not looking to sell this equipment on this forum, just looking for guidance from other enthusiasts, but if feelings are this strong and that no one wishes to provide information then please delete my post

Bruce Watson
7-Sep-2004, 08:55
Testy lot.

I'm here for the education. What the heck is a Kocak A30 drum processor? Got a link to any information on it? I assume it's no longer made since I can't find it on Kodak's site.

jantman
7-Sep-2004, 13:50
Hogarth - aside from Azo, Kodak doesn't make anythign good anymore.

Ian - While I would advise you to keep advertisements like this off of this board, perhaps put it on photo.net's (shudder) classifieds. Or send me an email of the stuff you have.

kthompson
7-Sep-2004, 17:21
model 30A was the largest of three drum type processors--starting with an 8x10 model 11. It's about 30 yrs old--these are pretty much "antiques" now. It's not the same thing as the way a jobo or a unicolor drum works, really. these have an apron of sorts, that holds the print in place against a tempered stainless steel drum--over a tray with the chemistry. the RCP20, is an EP-2 era processor as well...throw in an ektamatic 74RC or a royalprint processor and you'd have a great vintage darkroom setup.

Ian_4614
7-Sep-2004, 18:00
Actually the A30 works on exactly the same principle as the Jobo, or at least the unit I have does, where the paper is loaded inside the tube. The drums are a plastic composite with light baffling end caps, with the drum in the vertical position the chemistry is poured into the top baffle and then the drum cradle is swung into the horizontal position where rotation begins. When ready to change chemistry just swing the drum back into the vertical position, the expelled chemistry is drained into a catch basin which is pumped through a drain hose for disposal, the new chemistry is poured into the top and the process continues. The unit is the size of a dishwasher.

The MAFI processor uses the external drum system rotating the film/paper through the chemical bath

kthompson
8-Sep-2004, 09:21
I guess I had it confused with the 2 smaller models--they did use a blanket to hold the print emulsion side to the drum. the chemistry was in the tray beneath & the drum spun around & transfered the chem & tempered as well...so can you process smaller sized prints in the A30, or is it only for 30x40?

Ian_4614
8-Sep-2004, 12:43
The unit has 3 different sized drums, designed for 16x12", 20x24" & 30x40". but since the paper just lays against the inside wall of the drum I have used it for variations of these sizes.

kthompson
8-Sep-2004, 14:35
so what about the MAFI? does it use a drum holding the chemistry as well as the film, or is it more like a frame holding the film--carrying it through a trough of chemistry?

Ian_4614
8-Sep-2004, 19:48
The MAFI Mafina is a very interesting machine. It looks similar to a top loading washing machine, most of the top opens up (via a light tight door). Drums about 12" wide and 12" in diameter are designed to either hold a single 11x14" sheet or 2-8x10" sheets on the outside emulsion side out, film is spiraled around the outside of other specialized drums where plastic pyramids keep the film about 1/8" away from the drum surface and create a "track" for the film to be wound around. A very simple but cool system that only takes a few seconds to load in the dark.

With the film/paper loaded, the drum is mounted inside the machine and the door closed. The chemistry is pre-measured into containers mounted in a temperature controled water bath, when turned on the chemistry from the "specified" container is fed into the processing chamber (all automatic by means of fluid solinoids activated either manually or through a pre-programmed punch card system). The drum rotates through the chemistry in a curved tray which holds the chemistry. The rotating drum rotates about 5 times clockwise then about 5 time CCW. When the first processing step is complete the chemical tray automatically rotates and lifts to drain the chemistry then retuns to the lower position where the next chemical is fed. This continues through as many chemicals as you want, it truly is a universal system, until the final wash stage and finally the dry cycle. This is a dry to dry processor with seperate temperature controls for chemistry, wash, and dry cycles.