PDA

View Full Version : 30" Artar Filter ring

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Jan-2014, 19:23
Can someone tell me the diameter of the front ring of a 30 inch Artar. I have one coming and need to prepare.

Thanks.

J.B. Harlin
11-Jan-2014, 19:41
Hi Jim. . . the 30" Artars we have came factory with a DecoRing without threads. We had new DecoRings made with internal 77mm threads for Lee adapters. I believe that most Artars have non internal thread DecoRings unless they have been modified. Grimes did several of ours.

Jim Fitzgerald
11-Jan-2014, 19:44
J.B. thanks. I was thinking something like that. My 24" has a ring on it and I can't remember what I did. I'll have to look at it. I know that I can use my Lee system with it and I want to do the same with the 30".

karl french
11-Jan-2014, 19:45
Me too, when I had the boys at SK Grimes mount my 30" Artar into an Ilex 5 they made a new front ring with 72mm threads. I'm quite pleased with it.

J.B. Harlin
11-Jan-2014, 19:51
77mm fits most of the large lenses I carry, like the 55mm G-Claron and my 24" Artar. . . the other lenses take a 67mm. So I only have to carry two Lee mounts. . .

Leonard Robertson
12-Jan-2014, 09:39
If you want to consider some type of slip-on or clamp-on adapter, the front trim ring on my 30" Red Dot Artar measures 2 15/16" o.d. This ring is approximately 3/8" wide from the front edge back to a larger diameter shoulder.

Len

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Jan-2014, 09:56
Len, thank you. I'm trying to be ready when the lens arrives first of the week. I have a board ready to go for the 14x17 and just want to be able to get the hood/Lee filter system ready to mount. Taking the 14x17 to Yosemite on the 18-20th.

Leonard Robertson
12-Jan-2014, 10:54
Jim - I've held filters to the front of a lens with a wide, heavy rubber band. I know it is not ideal, but it sounds like you are short on time. I can imagine a 77mm Lee adapter screwed into a 77mm filter with the glass removed. The empty filter gives an area for a rubber band (or section of bicycle inner tube) to stretch over. Or if you can find a plastic ring, possibly lined with felt, which is a snug push on fit to the 30" Artar front ring, you could glue that plastic ring to a Lee adapter. If you used something like silicone sealer, it would be removable later to salvage the Lee adapter. I know these ideas aren't good for long term use, but might get you by until you have time for a more permanent adapter.

Len

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Jan-2014, 20:56
Wonderful ideas everyone. I'm hoping the lens comes in in time for my trip to Yosemite this weekend. While I'm at it does anyone know the diameter of the lens flange? I have a board with a Packard on it and I need to know this measurement. Thanks.

Leonard Robertson
14-Jan-2014, 07:47
On my RD, the heavy brass flange measures 4 3/16" overall outer diameter. The rear of the flange has a "step-back" ridge around the lens threads which measures 3 3/8" o.d. and sticks back 3/32" from the rear face of the flange. So 3 3/8" will be the diameter hole you will need in the board. Morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so I hope that makes sense. There are 5 mounting holes through the face of the flange. The center of these holes is about 3/16" in from the outer edge of the flange. It will be interesting if anyone else comes up with a different set of measurements. I don't know if Goerz ever changed the design of the flanges over a period of time. I would assume the flange size is the same for all RD Artars, but don't know for sure.

Len

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Jan-2014, 08:08
Len, I hear ya about the morning coffee! But this does make sense! Thank you very much. Now I can cut the hole and finish the board. I got confirmation from FedEx that the lens will be here today.