PDA

View Full Version : polaroid proofing

B.T.
6-Sep-2004, 12:19
Help

I'm using polaroid type 54 (iso 100) for proofing of exposure & composition & focusing check. I'm using both Fujii Velvia 50 and 100 transparencies.

1. Can I use the same exposure for Polaroid for both Velvia 50 and 100? If not how can I adjust the exposure for Velvia w/ different ASA?

2.Instead of type 54, what polaroid type that I can use proofing of color?

My last question is how do I determine the infinity position for my lense. Do I just focus until the furthest object is focused?

Thanks everybody in advance for your help

BT

Ralph Barker
6-Sep-2004, 14:19
I use the same PolaPan Pro 100 for most exposure proofing, and PolaColor Pro 100 for color proofing, when needed, as its color rendition is more accurate than some of the older Polaroid color emulsions. You should expose the Polaroid at its ISO rating, and then interpolate that exposure to your personalized rating for each different film. For example, you might expose the Polaroid at ISO 100, and then open up a stop for Velvia 50 (assuming you shoot it at ISO 50), but use the same exposure for the Velvia 100 as you did for the Polaroid.

Be aware, however, that "color proofing" with Polaroid is really somewhat of an art that requires a fair amount of testing to get a handle on. The Polaroid color palette will be different than any given color film. Thus, you need to develop an eye for what color rendition on the Polaroid proof will render which color on the specific film. As such, once you've established your personalized exposure index for a color film, proofing exposure and composition on B&W Polaroid works almost as well, and is less expensive.

The flip side of that coin, however, is that if we don't buy enough color Polaroid, they might discontinue its production.

Kirk Gittings
6-Sep-2004, 14:48
I also use Polapan Pro 100 (primarily in the 664 packs) for color proofing with all color trans. films. The two issues with it are for comparison to Velvia 100F (my primary color trans. film are:

Slightly better highlight detail with the Velvia, and more reciprocity correction is necessary with the Polaroid than the Velvia (about a stop more at 30 seconds).

B.T.
6-Sep-2004, 15:11
Thank you for your info. I probably will try the Polacolor Pro 100. It seems to me that it would be more economical for me if I can use the pack film instead of regular sheet film for proofing. However when I check a website, the description states that the pack film will fit into polaroid holder 545, I have the 545i, are they the same? Also what are the differences b/w the pack film and sheet film?

Kirk Gittings
6-Sep-2004, 18:39
I own two holders. I may be wrong on this but off the top of my head, I think the 545 and 545i are for single sheet 4x5 readyload print and one pos/neg. film. I don't know what the i designation means. The 405 which I primarily use is smaller print size 3"x4", 10 sheets per pack. It is much more economical but does not cover a full 4x5 for proofing comparison. However, I actually use it to proof 2 1/4x 3 1/4 (6x9) roll film in a Cambo/Calumet C2N roll film holder, which is actually smaller again than the 405 films. I made a mask to fit the 6x9 format which I hand to my clients so they can see what the "real" films boundaries will be.

David A. Goldfarb
6-Sep-2004, 20:05
The 545 and 545i are the 4x5" sheet film holders. The 545i is a newer version. I have an older 545 and it seems to work just fine. There is a full description at www.polaroid.com. There are more film types available in sheets than in packs.

Ernest Purdum
6-Sep-2004, 21:09
That website you were looking at must be confusing if not downright misleading. Film packs don't go into the 545 series holders. They have their own holder, the 405. There also was a 550 pack film holder taking a somewhat larger pack, but this seems to have disappeared along with the film it used.