PDA

View Full Version : film

madmax12
11-Jan-2014, 07:13
I bought a Ansco 8x10 camera and a film holder that still had film in it . The women said her husband before he died use to shoot nudes with the camera. The holder suggests that the film has been exposed. She did not know what film he used. If this was you how would you process this film . Any suggestions appreciated. The wife wanted to know what was on the film ,too. Craig

vinny
11-Jan-2014, 07:18
Get some silly putty. press onto the corner of the film. Google notch codes. Proceed from there.

Ari
11-Jan-2014, 07:22
Vinny's silly putty idea is great, never thought of that.

In the dark, try to feel along the film edge for the notch code, you may be able to tell that way which film it is.
Then you can process.
I'd add 10-15% processing time just to be on the safe side.

If you can't determine film type, then I would process in my usual way (i.e. your favourite emulsion/developer) and add 10-15% developing time.

John Kasaian
11-Jan-2014, 07:27
I wonder what the cause of death was?

AtlantaTerry
11-Jan-2014, 07:54
Another way to know the notch code is to slip a piece of paper under the notch (in the dark, of course) then run a sharp pencil down the film and along the notch.

Jim C.
11-Jan-2014, 10:12
I'll second what AtlantaTerry said, or you could snip the notch code off with scissors.

danno@cnwl.igs
11-Jan-2014, 10:20
If you could be reasonably sure that the film is B&W and not colour, you would be pretty safe using Diafine.

John Bowen
11-Jan-2014, 10:27
I bought a Ansco 8x10 camera and a film holder that still had film in it . The women said her husband before he died use to shoot nudes with the camera. The holder suggests that the film has been exposed. She did not know what film he used. If this was you how would you process this film . Any suggestions appreciated. The wife wanted to know what was on the film ,too. Craig

Craig,
Pray it's not a picture of your wife.....:rolleyes:

StoneNYC
11-Jan-2014, 22:04
Find out what the notch codes are and process as normal :)

Greg Blank
12-Jan-2014, 09:13
You know I've been doing photo since I was eighteen, and LF since my twenties. This year I turned 50 and one likes to think you know a lot after so much time, I gotta say this is one of the most helpful suggestions in recent time...Many thank yous Sir! Awesome!

Get some silly putty. press onto the corner of the film. Google notch codes. Proceed from there.

lenser
12-Jan-2014, 09:38
AS I recall, Silly Putty had a fairly greasy base since I used to lift cartoons from the newspaper with it all the time and there was always a greasy stain left on the news print.. Residue on fingers could leave fingerprints on the emulsion side if not VERY careful and using it on the notch should only be done on the back side so that nothing touches the emulsion. Otherwise, there could be serious problems with oils blocking the developer wherever the stuff touches including from the fingers.

I think the paper and pencil idea is much safer.

jb7
12-Jan-2014, 10:10
She did not know what film he used. If this was you how would you process this film . Any suggestions appreciated.

I made a note of this from another forum recently, probably photonet- I suppose googling a section might bring up the original post.

It may be of some help if you can sacrifice a small strip of film. Or maybe not, I don't know.

PROCESSING TIME OF ANY FILM IN ANY DEVELOPER:
1. In a darkroom cut off a few strips 6-8 mm wide from the film you want to develop.
2. Turn the lights on. The strips are fogged now.
3. Take one strip with your right hand and a stopwatch with your left hand.
4. Dip one half of the strip in a developer and start a stop watch. The emulsion side of the
film strip placed in a developer will start lightening first and then darkening.
5. WHEN THE DARKNESS OF BOTH PARTS OF THE STRIP MATCH STOP THE STOPWATCH!
6. Divide the number of SECONDS shown by the stopwatch by 3. This is your developing
time in MINUTES. If stopwatch shows 24 seconds, developing time is 8 minutes.
7. Repeat two-three times for consistency. This method never failed for the last 60 years.
Buena fortuna,
Victor Petryakov

Racer X 69
12-Jan-2014, 13:35
I wonder what the cause of death was?

Maybe the guy got too friendly with the models? :cool:

dave clayton
12-Jan-2014, 14:18
Bet you got it at a bargain price as im betting he did not tell his mrs how much he spent on kit exactly to ensure marital bliss

madmax12
12-Jan-2014, 15:45
Update. I finally was able to find time to mess with film . I set up the dark room got my stuff all together. Silly putty, pencil,paper and ready to go. Turn lights off pull back slide an...............no film either side:confused:.
All I can say is .......My wife is safe for now. I have learned a lot about stuff here . JB7 I like your work style,and I appreciate all input . This is truly a learning site

vinny
12-Jan-2014, 16:31
Update. I finally was able to find time to mess with film . I set up the dark room got my stuff all together. Silly putty, pencil,paper and ready to go. Turn lights off pull back slide an...............no film either side:confused:.
All I can say is .......My wife is safe for now. I have learned a lot about stuff here . JB7 I like your work style,and I appreciate all input . This is truly a learning site

you're gonna need to double your processing time:0

StoneNYC
12-Jan-2014, 22:10

Oh, thought you had already known there was film there.

My GF is not safe, neither are some of my ex's hah! Not because I have I'll intent, but simply because I am an artist, some of it can already be found "out there"