PDA

View Full Version : Loose 4x5 L Screws on fidelity elite

peter k.
10-Jan-2014, 10:26
Got 6 used Fidelity Elite 4x5 film holders and they are in very good shape, but have been used for 20 years+, according to the seller. Of course had to redo the Gaffer tape on the ends, and also found that the L screws are very loose.
Is there any trick in making these tighter again, so they sit still, and hold the slide in?
(No big deal, there are always rubber bands, but wondered if there was a method.)
Thanks p.

vinny
10-Jan-2014, 10:44
gaffer tape will dry out and eventually make a mess in your climate. book binding tape is what you should use since the tape from Fidelity seems to no longer be sold.
I've removed the screws and put in a bit of glue applied with a syringe made for glue. Let it set up, then screw them back in.

peter k.
10-Jan-2014, 17:28
So they screw out, I tried that, but they just go around and around.
I didn't try to put any real 'pull' pressure on it, when I was trying... can't now, there all loaded.
Is this what is needed?

To tell ya the truth, I don't know if I have gaffer tape, or book binding. Brought it several years ago, but so far the twelve that I did for the 3x4, are doing fine. So it must be book binding, but then again, I'm up in Sedona, not as hot there.

Jim C.
10-Jan-2014, 17:46
On the plastic holders the dark slide locks are captive, best you can do is mush a little epoxy putty around the shaft
wait till it's not fully hardened and carefully work them now and then till the putty fully hardens.

peter k.
11-Jan-2014, 12:18
Another solution.. granddaughter inspired. ;-)

Kids came up, and granddaughter weaved me one of those rubber band bracelets, and put it on my wrist. These seem to be very popular right now, with her and her classmates.
Hmmm.. Got to looking at her "Loom Bandz" kit she had, with looping tool, and wrapped one of these small rubber bands,(there about .5") twice around on one L Screw, then twisted the rubber band a couple of times, so it wound around itself, and then looped it over the other L Screw. "Grandpa, what are you doing?" Ha... Pushed the rubber band down to the base of the L screw, where the metal meets the plastic. The tension of the rubber, and its surface, keeps the L screw form turning easily, and therefore performs its function once again.
The rubber band diameter is narrow enough, especially when stretched, that it should not interfer with the dark slide.

Something else... innovation.. testing here at home, in the camera, and pulling the dark slide out and putting it back in several times, showed no problems. Will see how well it functions in the field and over time. ;-)

Granddaughter got a big wet kiss and hug! ;-)

AtlantaTerry
19-Jan-2014, 07:52
Where does one buy bookbinder tape in local stores?

vinny
19-Jan-2014, 08:22
Where does one buy bookbinder tape in local stores?

dick blick would have it/be able to order it.