PDA

View Full Version : chamonix accessories 4x5 .. what to buy?

yuexiachou29
7-Jan-2014, 23:37
Hello
I am considering to buy a chamonix 4x5 camera. but don't know if anyone would recommend buying any accessories...

Darin Boville
8-Jan-2014, 00:44
Do you mean Chamonix-specific accessories or LF accessories in general--are you experience with LF or just starting out?

--Darin

mathieu Bauwens
8-Jan-2014, 11:59
which accessories and what would be the purpose of it ?

BrianShaw
8-Jan-2014, 12:26
Sure... I can suggest one: film.

soeren
9-Jan-2014, 00:56
Sure... I can suggest one: film.

And filmholders, doesn't have to be Chamonix holders though :)
I bought the Chamonix 45 F1 with the fresnell. It came with the groundglass protection plate and a wrap, thats it.
Besides camera, film and holders you need a lens covering the 4X5" format, a tripod, a loupe and something to use as a darkcloth. If you don't have access to a darkroom you'll also need a changing bag and may I suggest something to develop your negs in and with.
Best regards

Joe Wright
9-Jan-2014, 01:52
You might want to consider their extension block, this allows you to extend the camera to acommodate a longer light weight non-telephoto lens such as the Fuji 450-C or get in close on your subject with a 300mm or similar lens. The bellows is capable of it, albeit a little tight at that length and, the stability decreases a little but perfectly useable in the right conditions.

The block is made using the same material as the camera bed, so very rigid and feather weight!

Jac@stafford.net
9-Jan-2014, 02:00
When I began LF I wasted money first by getting a poor lens, then wasted more money on one that was better than I needed.

I suggest you ask about your first lens.

soeren
9-Jan-2014, 02:05
I wish someone made the sinar shutters in linhof lensboard sizes :)
Oh BTW if you want to do IR photography youll need IR proof bellows.
Best regards

pasiasty
9-Jan-2014, 08:19
if you concern original Chamonix stuff:
- a view-finder hood, but it requires modification; then you can forget about a dark-cloth
- a bag bellows if you want to use UWA lenses (actually, I bought mine with both standard and bag bellows instead of universal one; mine shortest lens is 58 mm)
- a fresnel
- a leather wrap - or DIY a better one

angusparker
9-Jan-2014, 09:16
As owner of two Chamonix 4x5s, I would suggest the following:
Pass on extension board - you will rarely use it and the longest lenses are very expensive
Pass on Chamonix film holders - they are pretty but not very functional, buy new Toyo instead
Buy their fresnel option
Buy their leather wrap
Consider their lens boards - light and expensive but the don't fit in all Linhof style cameras, e.g. Shen Hao
Buy a plastic ground glass protector
Buy a good cable release
Buy good dark cloth, eg. BTZS
Buy a light tripod and Really Right Stuff ball head BH-25, the smallest they have which will work with smaller lenses fine
Buy a three lens set over time - 125/180/240 or 90/150/300. I like the former focal lengths better. Try and stick with same manufacturer. I would go Fujinon or Nikon. Stick to one or at most two filter sizes. E.g. 52 and 67mm.
I find anything less than a 110mm lens extreme on a 4x5, but your sensibility may be different. Don't buy anything less than 90mm at least at the start. That way you can avoid buying another set of bellows.

Kodachrome25
9-Jan-2014, 21:38
Pass on Chamonix film holders - they are pretty but not very functional, buy new Toyo instead

I own 12 of them, very light and rigid. I put 1/4 x 1/4 pieces of aluminum tape on one side of the dark slide top to mark exposed / unexposed. At first I thought the course finish inside made it hard to load the film but after awhile it became really easy. The tolerances are tighter so I appreciate that for thin based films like Rollei IR400.

They are my favorite holders, have put several hundred sheets of film through them now. I might replace my Riteway and Fidelity holders with Toyo at some point, same price as the Chamonix....

angusparker
9-Jan-2014, 21:43
I own 12 of them, very light and rigid. I put 1/4 x 1/4 pieces of aluminum tape on one side of the dark slide top to mark exposed / unexposed. At first I thought the course finish inside made it hard to load the film but after awhile it became really easy. The tolerances are tighter so I appreciate that for thin based films like Rollei IR400.

By far my favorite holders. I might replace my Riteway and Fidelity holders with Toyo at some point, same price as the Chamonix....

I found them hard to load film into the slot, hard to pull the dark slide since they don't have a handle, and hard to tell when exposed since both sides of the dark slide are black and there is no obvious area for a sticker etc. No idea about tolerances but I know Toyos are great and have none of the above issues. I was predisposed to like the Chamonix holders but ended up selling my new ones at a loss. The rest of the stuff Chamonix makes is excellent. It's just the holders that are so so IMHO. But YMMV!

Kodachrome25
9-Jan-2014, 21:52
I found them hard to load film into the slot, hard to pull the dark slide since they don't have a handle, and hard to tell when exposed since both sides of the dark slide are black and there is no obvious area for a sticker etc. No idea about tolerances but I know Toyos are great and have none of the above issues. I was predisposed to like the Chamonix holders but ended up selling my new ones at a loss. The rest of the stuff Chamonix makes is excellent. It's just the holders that are so so IMHO. But YMMV!

I was sorry I missed yours, like I said above, I solved the exposed / unexposed issue the day I got my first set by using small pieces of aluminum tape, they have broken in nicely and I have put literally hundreds of sheets of film through them. We are all different, I think they are excellent, especially for when I am snowboarding, peak climbing and need to keep it all *super* light.

James Wells
29-Jan-2014, 14:47
I've got a brand new 045n-2 and a bunch of new chamonix holders I'm about to sell. Let me know if you're interested. I bought an entire large format setup but have never had time to use it. Everything still sits in its original packaging! It's time for it to go to a good home. I also have the tripod plate to go with it and a couple of lenses. I'll find a place to post all the info later tonight.

gsinico
3-Feb-2014, 14:27
I'm breacking the rule,
but I will buy the little arm with a pinch to hold a slide to shadow the lens.
But seems that this accessoir is not produced any more.

vinny
3-Feb-2014, 15:13
you mean this (http://www.ebonycamera.com/acc.html#Lens%20shade%20clip) by ebony?
or this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546362-REG/Manfrotto_375_375_Multiclip.html) one by manfrotto? one is much more affordable than the other:)
I was making a nice adjustable shade that fit hot/cold shoes for a while but they didn't seem to sell well.

gsinico
4-Feb-2014, 10:18
I mean something like the Ebony arm, but cheaper .
:-)