PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging paper types, silver gelatin papers?

ryanmills
7-Jan-2014, 12:43
For the last year I have been mostly hybrid. I develop my own negs and scan. But just not as happy with the results so im picking up a 4x5 enlarger and going to see what sort of results I can get. I was fortunate to see a collection of jock sturges b/w work from the late 90's early 2000's and they were just amazing. Really all I know is they were silver gelatin prints on most likely a Oriental paper developed in Dektol. The exact Oriental paper is not likely made anymore. But i'm unclear on what silver gelatin papers are currently available. Like to try something close. Just simple searches only seem to bring up Ilford Art 300 but that seems wrong since its been so popular. Are most papers a silver gelatin and its just not listed that way? Given I lack a way to properly mount prints i'm learning on RC paper but once im getting something useful I'm thinking about trying the nicer Oriental or Bergger FB papers to see how much difference it makes.

If anyone has seen jock's printed work any advice on a silver gelatin paper I might try FB or RC?

Vaughn
7-Jan-2014, 12:50
All photographic (darkroom processed) papers are "silver gelatin".

Look at Ilford's line of papers -- I suggest starting with those as they are currently made and available. Decide what surface qualities you like (glossy, etc). Decide if you prefer a cool, neutral or warm image (without toning), then step up and try toning to achieve the color you want.

Check this out: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?109608-Initial-Impression-Ilford-MGFB-IV-vs-MGFB-Classic

ryanmills
7-Jan-2014, 13:10
Thanks at this point im looking at trying Ilford Multigrade Warmtone Resin Coated to tinker and learn on, I do like the warm tone images.

ryanmills
7-Jan-2014, 16:55
On the question of Jock's work he was kind enough to respond and he preferred chlorobromide papers that are not really made anymore. I think I saw ilford still made some form of it I might try if anyone else is looking.

C_Remington
7-Jan-2014, 17:42
Bergger
Foma
Forte
Ilford
Kentmere
Oriental
Adox
Arista
Slavich
Varycon
Fotokemika

All current brands of silver gelatin paper regularly available in the US in many surfaces and sizes.

If you plan to print on fiber in the end, why waste time learning to print on RC paper, paper you're not going to end up using???

Also, RESIST THE URGE TO BUY EXPIRED PAPER. Same goes with film.

ONLY USE FRESH CHEMICALS AND MATERIALS.