PDA

View Full Version : Philip Hyde Exhibit/SF Bay Area/Jan. 2014

Merg Ross
6-Jan-2014, 21:51
An exhibition of Philip Hyde's work will open at Smith Andersen North Gallery in January. His son, David, will be at the opening reception on January 25, 2014. The attached gives a good history of Phil's passion for photography and the landscape.

http://www.smithandersennorth.com/exhibits/upcoming_exhibits.html

BradS
6-Jan-2014, 21:55
Excellent! Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

EDIT: I'm going to try to attend the opening reception. Would enjoy putting faces with names. Who's in?

Amedeus
7-Jan-2014, 00:51
Barring international business travel, I'll be there on he 25th.

Drew Wiley
7-Jan-2014, 09:42
I have mixed feelings about this kind work being reissued in a scale and medium which would have been unknown to the photographer himself, but maybe its the only
practical way to recover content from the old transparencies. He was an important figure in the Sierra Club history of publication and its relation to the budding Wilderness Act.

austin granger
7-Jan-2014, 12:20
The book "Island in Time: the Point Reyes Peninsula" (by Harold Gilliam with Hyde's photographs) has held an honored place in my bookcase ever since I was a kid. I have no doubt it inspired my own explorations of that magnificent place. I sure wish I could go to this exhibit!

BradS
24-Jan-2014, 18:47
anybody else planning to attend the opening tomorrow night?

Merg Ross
24-Jan-2014, 22:16
anybody else planning to attend the opening tomorrow night?

Otherwise engaged tomorrow evening, I will surely view the exhibit on a quiet weekday. Stefan has one of the finest galleries in the Bay Area for viewing photography, complemented by his good knowledge of local photography history.

I knew Philip from the very first group exhibition in which I participated in 1954. His work was black and white, small contact prints if memory serves. One in particular I can recall, a composition of fractured rock; a real jewel of a print! Perhaps David will include some of the early black and white work.

Please report back.

angusparker
28-Jan-2014, 18:49
Just went. Very nice prints - especially the old ones. Bit cluttered right now in the gallery since they are laying out works for another show in Napa. Well worth the trip if you are local to SF or Marin.