PDA

View Full Version : Would tis be a good 1st LF starter for $500?

PureQuill Photo
5-Jan-2014, 16:38
Hi a newbie here looking for a re-entry 4X5 outfit.
I know Sinar gear is Swiss made & was very expensive when new.
But I have no Idea what it is worth in todays market.
I also know that there are various Sinars F,F1,F2 P ect .
Looks like the F is the entry model.

Its primary use will be for landscapes/ Fine art photography.
Due to my age & health reasons I wont be backpacking to the shoot anymore.
I will have to trust my 4X4 to get me close to the location.

A Field camera would be optimum, but this might be what I need to get back into LF on a budget.
Your opinions & advise are much needed & appreciated
Thanks
PQ

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pho/4269441039.html

Sinar F 4x5 Camera,

schneider-kreuznach symmar-s 5.6/210 Lens

Spare Sinar lens board

Polaroid 405 Instant Film Back (Film is still available in Fuji form)

Polaroid 545 film back (great if you have back stock polaroid film)

9 film holders

Stock 11'' rail unit

3 Custom machined rails at 12'' each each. Equals 3' when strung together for macro photography.

Comes with Pelican style case for camera.

Leonard Robertson
5-Jan-2014, 17:55
This strikes me as a pretty decent price. I have an older Sinar Norma, so I'm not really familiar with the different versions of the F, although I'm often on eBay looking for Sinar pieces. I suspect that is the original F, but I think that is still a good camera. One thing to check - I've read there is a weak point on the original F where the front standard clamps to the rail which can crack if overtightened. You might to be sure this camera is okay. The 210mm Symmar-S is a respectable lens. I don't think the seller is misrepresenting the value of the lens, but he probably doesn't realize how low view camera lenses are now. Checking on eBay "Sold" listings for this lens shows around $200 or less is what most of them actually sell for, unless this is an Apo-Symmar which sell for more. I'm guessing if that is the original Sinar F, eBay selling price is about $200-250, depending on condition. The thing that may make this outfit a deal is the Polaroid 405 holder. Those sell on eBay for $150-200. If you can resell the 405, suddenly this outfit is a real bargain. There are rumors Fuji may discontinue film for the 405 in the future, so unless you really want to use it, I would sell it soonest. The extra lens boards, several film holders, and case add up to more than another $100. I assume you can look at this outfit in person and save shipping cost, so that adds to the value. You might ask the seller if he has the caps for the main rail. These screw on the ends of the rail to keep the standards from sliding off. You can use the camera without them, but they are nice to have, if he has them in a drawer somewhere and forgot about them.

Len

mdarnton
5-Jan-2014, 18:49
The specific weak part Len is referring to is a toggle that bridges the two sides of the standard, underneath the rail. On one end it's hinged to one side, in the middle there's a knob, then the loose end goes over a big plastic hook. It's the hook that breaks, when users tighten the knob too much. That precise spot isn't visible in any of the photos. Judging by what I've seen on Ebay, this is not a rare thing to happen.

PureQuill Photo
5-Jan-2014, 19:11
Thanks for responding & your advise Leonard & mdarnton.
I can’t see me using the Polaroid back so e-baying it & putting the money toward other gear is great advise!
I will check it out in person making sure check for the “weak link Crack”
Thanks again!
PQ

PureQuill Photo
5-Jan-2014, 20:19
POOP!
All ready gone!
I guess there is another camera out there with my name on it!
Thanks to all that responded!

StoneNYC
5-Jan-2014, 20:52
POOP!
All ready gone!
I guess there is another camera out there with my name on it!
Thanks to all that responded!

That's a shame this was a stellar deal

PureQuill Photo
5-Jan-2014, 22:06
@ Stone NYC yep, I hope someone who reads this forum got it!
No worries lots of great gear out there to be had.
The perfect piece of gear at the right price will show up.
Check out the enlarger I just picked up for $30.
Gear I could only dream about 35 years ago can be had for pennies on the dollar.
Lets face it LF is still a very small niche There is a ton of gear out there that most folks have zero clue what to do with.
Its a good time to be into LF!

StoneNYC
6-Jan-2014, 06:49
@ Stone NYC yep, I hope someone who reads this forum got it!
No worries lots of great gear out there to be had.
The perfect piece of gear at the right price will show up.
Check out the enlarger I just picked up for $30.
Gear I could only dream about 35 years ago can be had for pennies on the dollar.
Lets face it LF is still a very small niche There is a ton of gear out there that most folks have zero clue what to do with.
Its a good time to be into LF!

Wow nice omega, which one is it? I can't tell from the pics.

I got one for free, but it's no where near as good shape as yours.

PureQuill Photo
6-Jan-2014, 21:56
Wow nice omega, which one is it? I can't tell from the pics.

I got one for free, but it's no where near as good shape as yours.

Thanks Stone it is D5XL Chassis & mounting base with a universal DV condenser lamp house.
It is in pretty great shape overall but it is filthy & needs a serious realigning & restoration.

The guy I bought it from got it in a “storage unit buy” tried for a year to sell it for a $100 with no luck & was getting ready to take it to the dump.
Can you believe that?
Good news is I have plenty of time between this forum & the internet there is a wealth of information.
When I finish her she will be as close to new as I can make her!

Alan Gales
6-Jan-2014, 23:04
I have seen the original Sinar F's go for as low as $300.00 on Ebay. Later models go for more. You may be able to get a Sinar P for $500.00 if you are patient. The P2's go for quite a bit more.

The Schneider Symmar 210mm f/5.6 lenses go for $180.00 to $220.00 on Ebay. Most of the time a little below $200.00.

I'm a small time Ebay Seller and these are prices I have seen and of course prices constantly fluctuate up and down a little due to Ebay being an auction.

The key is as you mentioned, to be patient and wait for a deal. Good luck to you!

jp
7-Jan-2014, 05:06
http://maine.craigslist.org/pho/4274283148.html

Maybe this guy/gal would ship?

PureQuill Photo
7-Jan-2014, 21:14
http://maine.craigslist.org/pho/4274283148.html

Maybe this guy/gal would ship?

Worth an email Thanks!

PureQuill Photo
7-Jan-2014, 21:28
Damn invalid email adress!