PDA

View Full Version : Is Ilford FP4 and Photowarehouse Ultrafine ISO 125 Film Same Thing?

Andre Noble
4-Sep-2004, 08:30
In a previous post, someone suggested that Photowarehouse ISO 125 film really the same as "Ilford FP4"?

Anyone have further insights on this?

Also a clarifcation has to be made between Ilford FP4 as opposed to FP4+.

The reason I ask is that I am looking to stock up economically on FP4+ sheetfilm. I compared the Photowarehouse development times for their "125 ISO Ultrafine" with those they list for Ilford FP4+ on the same chart. The recommended times look different, with development times for "125 ISO Ultrafine" actually look closer to the recommended times for Kodak Plus-X film on the same chart.

Furthermore, Photowarehouse lists their repackaged Ilford printing paper as being "Made in England", but no similar mention is made of their Ultrafine films. ????

John Kasaian
4-Sep-2004, 09:13
andrenoble,

I'm interested in hearing others experience regarding Ultrafine 125. The only two films I'm experimenting with in 12x20 are Ultrafine and Efke 25(which are also, incidentally the most affordable ULF panchro film I've found) I'm convinced Ultrafine is an Ilford product. FWIW Freetstlye also markets Arista Pro in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 which is also reported to be an Ilford product.

The difference between FP-4 and FP-4+ isn't something I can comment on, as FP-4 was long gone before I became a consumer of sheet film, so I have nothing to compare the current FP-4+ Ilford/ Arista Pro/ Ultrafine products with. Perhaps someone with more miles can shed some light on this issue.

BTW, my favorite Ilfor-oid enlarging paper comes from Freestyle. Their Classis Graded Fiber is, I think repackeged Galerie. If you want to stock pile a graded fiberbase enlarging paper, its the only "economy model" game in town that I'm aware of besides being an excellent paper. Photo Warehouse Ultrafine paper is, according to my catalog, an RC paper. Take your pick.

Cheers!

Tony Karnezis
4-Sep-2004, 10:45
The representative at Freestyle photo told me that Arista Professional 100 film is FP4+, and Professional 400 is HP5+. Both are cheaper than the Ilford-labeled products.

Ralph Barker
4-Sep-2004, 10:46
It is my understanding that both PhotoWarehouse Ultrafine and Freestyle Arista are Ilford FP4+, although Ilford remains "mum" on the issue. Many people simply refer to FP4+ as "FP4" for simplicity's sake. It would not be feasible for Ilford to mix a separate (outdated) emulsion batch for re-branded products.

Roger Hein
4-Sep-2004, 10:50
I've used both PW125 and FP4+. They 'look' and 'print' virtually identical. FWIW both PW 125 and PW 400 (as well as Freestyle's Arista Pro) are all 'made in England'. I guess you have to ask yourself is there any film manufacturer other than Ilford in the U.K.? ;-)

Jorge Gasteazoro
4-Sep-2004, 11:48
THe PW film was the only thing I used for my 12x20, now with Ilford in hard times I am worried the Ultrafine film will also be gone. Any suggestions for an alternative. I am thinking J&C is going to be the one to go with.

Roger Hein
4-Sep-2004, 12:03
Good point Jorge - all of us LF/ULF users are looking for 'alternatives' if the Ilford 'rumours' hold true. I know many have had good success with the 'hungarian sourced' films (ie. Forte, Bergger, Arista, J&C, etc) but for the few times I've tried them I had problems with quality control.

Jorge Gasteazoro
4-Sep-2004, 12:24
but for the few times I've tried them I had problems with quality control.

What kind of problems did you see? My last batch was cut about 3 mm longer than normal from PW. Funnily enough at the same time J&C had the same problem. The thing was, that J&C offered to replace the film as soon as they found out, not a peep from pw. So, while there might be some quality controls issues with the films J&C markets, they seem to stand behind their product more proactively than PW.

Roger Hein
4-Sep-2004, 13:10
I also had a batch of PW where 2 sheets out of the 25sht box were cut unevenly - still 'loosely' fit the holder though. The specific problems I had with the hungarian films were fogging and scratches on the base side of the film. To put things in perspective this was 3-4 years ago and I'm sure (hope?) things have changed.

Jay DeFehr
4-Sep-2004, 13:24
The Photowarehouse Ultrafine 125 film is great stuff, but I don't think it's FP4+. The Photowarehouse rep told me it is not, and that it is made in EU, not England. Seems to be a discrepency in information from PW. I don't really care where it's made, but I can see how the information could be useful.

CP Goerz
4-Sep-2004, 15:50
I had heard the PW film was FP4 not FP4+, maybe something to remember if you only use PW film and think you are going to be fine if Ilford drops out the sheet film market. Another part of the story is that the film comes to PW in big rolls that aren't quite long enough to allow the cutting machines at Ilford to reach optimum speed before they start cutting (they would run out of film or have a very short cutting run from the feeder roll). The 'short' rolls are then sold off and thats how PW gets the film...suppposedly.

CP Goerz

phil sweeney
4-Sep-2004, 17:21
Exposing a step tablet onto FP4 and PW I found the films to be so close I have concluded they are the same. Developed in ABC for exaggerated grain I found the grain structure to be the same. I measured the films with a micrometer and found them to be within 0.0002 inches of each other.

I have been fortunate to have not received miscut film from them yet!

Jorge: did they refuse to replace the miscut film?

Jorge Gasteazoro
4-Sep-2004, 18:06
Jorge: did they refuse to replace the miscut film?

I did not even try Phil, being in Mexico just getting the film across customs it would have been a hassle to send it back and forth. OTOH, John from J&C posted in APUG he would send new film to those who had problems. I know there is a rep from PW that checks these forums, we did not hear a word from him. Anyway, in my case it is not such a big deal, I have a rototrim in the DR. But certainly expect this to be the last time it happens.

Bob._3483
4-Sep-2004, 20:27
The Ilford web site is clear about Ilford's willingness to make film & paper for off-brand sale. Ilford is indeed the only film manufacturer in the UK, although there is another b&w paper manufacturer: Kentmere.

As an aside, it's somewhat ironic that one up and coming UK manufacturer is Lyson - which is only 20 miles down the road from Ilford's factory...

Cheers,

Jorge Gasteazoro
4-Sep-2004, 20:46
Yeah but Lyson does not make film or paper, does it?

Andre Noble
4-Sep-2004, 23:26
Digital Photography

Bob._3483
5-Sep-2004, 12:12
Lyson are one of the main suppliers of quality digital ink for inkjet printers, especially for inks for printing b&w on inkjets: therein lies the irony....

Cheers,