PDA

View Full Version : Where to get 4x5 Velvia 50?

jackal624
5-Jan-2014, 09:01
Hi All,

Anyone know where to get Velvia 50 in 4x5 size? I've checked around the web and the only place I could find was Amazon Japan but they won't ship to the US. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

biedron
5-Jan-2014, 09:16
Here's one place that I have used before for 8x10; they offer 4x5 too:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/film/sheet-film/

You might also check ebay - there are a number of other Japanese sellers that offer Velvia 50 in sheet film, and will ship internationally.

Bob

StoneNYC
5-Jan-2014, 10:07
Here's one place that I have used before for 8x10; they offer 4x5 too:

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/film/sheet-film/

You might also check ebay - there are a number of other Japanese sellers that offer Velvia 50 in sheet film, and will ship internationally.

Bob

Wow good to know, but $105 a box plus shipping... Ouch!

I miss Velvia50 but I'm going to stick to Velvia100 that's still imported to the US.

I still don't quite understand why, if they can ship over some 4x5 sheets to the US in other films, why they can't with Velvia50 ...

Trust me, I know they are different films, however Velvia50 will be more likely to be discontinued very soon, well before Velvia100 so might as well stick to that rather than have to be frustrated about cost and availability. But then again, maybe you have more money than I do and don't care about the price.

jackal624
5-Jan-2014, 11:15
Amazon Japan has it for $75, but they won't ship to US. Very frustrating.

biedron
5-Jan-2014, 14:41
I still don't quite understand why, if they can ship over some 4x5 sheets to the US in other films, why they can't with Velvia50 ...

If you take Fujifilm at their word (some don't), they have already discontinued Velvia 50 in sheets. I believe that what is available in Japan is the last of the stock meant for the Japanese market. After that is gone, no more Velvia 50 in sheets.

But then again, maybe you have more money than I do

Not since I started I started stocking up on Velvia 50 :(

Bob

StoneNYC
5-Jan-2014, 15:54
If you take Fujifilm at their word (some don't), they have already discontinued Velvia 50 in sheets. I believe that what is available in Japan is the last of the stock meant for the Japanese market. After that is gone, no more Velvia 50 in sheets.

Not since I started I started stocking up on Velvia 50 :(

Bob

Bob,

The new boxes of Velvia50 from japan are the NEW box type, I doubt they would go through the cost and effort of redesigning the box labels and all the tooling to change it is they didn't plan to continue producing it, and the announcement from Fuji only said it was no longer being made for the US market but was still being made.

I don't know about what others think, but I think Fuji seem very good about communicating what's going on with their film products, they announced for example that Neopan400 would be discontinued because of a chemical used in the process, that was no longer being allowed to be used, but said that they would continue to try and find a different way to produce it, then soon after they indeed did come out with more Neopan400 for a while, unfortunately the users seem to have switched over to other films in the meantime, and there wasn't enough sales to continue the product, that's not exactly Fugees fault and they were very good at communicating that, I think in general they're much better than for example Kodak in terms of communication but not as good as Ilford, still, I think they will eventually discontinue v50 altogether, but must have a good japan market for it. So I guess you could say that I am one of those that take Fuji at their word for the most part.

Daniel Stone
5-Jan-2014, 17:10
Bob,

The new boxes of Velvia50 from japan are the NEW box type, I doubt they would go through the cost and effort of redesigning the box labels and all the tooling to change it is they didn't plan to continue producing it, and the announcement from Fuji only said it was no longer being made for the US market but was still being made.

I don't know about what others think, but I think Fuji seem very good about communicating what's going on with their film products, they announced for example that Neopan400 would be discontinued because of a chemical used in the process, that was no longer being allowed to be used, but said that they would continue to try and find a different way to produce it, then soon after they indeed did come out with more Neopan400 for a while, unfortunately the users seem to have switched over to other films in the meantime, and there wasn't enough sales to continue the product, that's not exactly Fugees fault and they were very good at communicating that, I think in general they're much better than for example Kodak in terms of communication but not as good as Ilford, still, I think they will eventually discontinue v50 altogether, but must have a good japan market for it. So I guess you could say that I am one of those that take Fuji at their word for the most part.

Stone,

Not sure where you've been, but Fuji's left hand seems(at most times) to have NO CLUE that a "right hand" even exists at most times. Certainly in-house communication to their reps here in the USA sure doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the home office and their goings-on.

Fuji manufacturers/promotes WAAAAAY more items for their home market(b/w paper, chemistry anyone?) than they do for the US market. As to why they don't promote any of it outside of the home market, nobody seems to know. Even the reps here in the USA have no clue it seems... Very sad.

If they are indeed producing Velvia 50, I'd bet that the largest market would indeed be the USA/EU. But as it seems, they seem to only want to keep it for themselves. From a business perspective, it seems
like absolute suicide to not market your products in a place that WANTS it, and CLAMORS for it(despite the digital onslaught). Still available in roll formats(35/120), but in sheet formats, it's a real shame that they don't bring in their color neg products anymore either(outside of grey market channels/importers, or importing directly from EU/Asian shops).

Fuji compared to Kodak in terms of TRANSPARENCY(not film, but business practices) is NIGHT vs. DAY. Kodak will sell ANYONE(with the cash) any size sheet film(to a point) from their currently offered product lines. 12x24(not 20) 320TXP? Not a problem. 20x24" Portra 400 or Ektar 100? Not a problem.

Fuji won't do special orders(however some apparent special orders have been done for *Japanese* customers?) in non-stock sizes, where as Kodak is fully capable & willing to do so, despite it not making a huge amount of money(that we know of)... Kodak(and now Alaris) have been quite upfront with their offerings, and despite cutting E-6 altogether(which I really lament the loss of E100G/VS), their products are still solid as can be, very capable and if I have a question, I can just ring them up. Fuji? Not as easy...
Getting a special order of a film type from Kodak is as easy as ringing up Kodak directly(or going through a dealer like Keith Canham), and having enough money to get it done. Fuji will just thumb their nose at you(even if you have $100k on the table and willing to deal). Why? Frankly I don't think they could be bothered... Film for Fuji is a tiny fraction of their business(as in-house documentation has proved). RA-4 paper and chemistry is a much larger part of their business, and thusly, you can buy a SINGLE roll of 20" RA-4 paper from a dealer(even if it is deemed a special-order item).

not poking directly at you, just informing you about Fuji's practices over the years, and it might be wise to research before commenting so. I prefer to buy product from companies that LISTEN to their customers. Kodak will listen(hell, YOU yourself were able to get Kodak to CONSIDER producing a non-stock film product on a much different substrate/line. Try that with Fuji. My bet is that you'll be sitting on the phone waiting. FOR YEARS(and possibly forever).

-Dan

StoneNYC
5-Jan-2014, 20:41
Stone,

Not sure where you've been, but Fuji's left hand seems(at most times) to have NO CLUE that a "right hand" even exists at most times. Certainly in-house communication to their reps here in the USA sure doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the home office and their goings-on.

Fuji manufacturers/promotes WAAAAAY more items for their home market(b/w paper, chemistry anyone?) than they do for the US market. As to why they don't promote any of it outside of the home market, nobody seems to know. Even the reps here in the USA have no clue it seems... Very sad.

If they are indeed producing Velvia 50, I'd bet that the largest market would indeed be the USA/EU. But as it seems, they seem to only want to keep it for themselves. From a business perspective, it seems
like absolute suicide to not market your products in a place that WANTS it, and CLAMORS for it(despite the digital onslaught). Still available in roll formats(35/120), but in sheet formats, it's a real shame that they don't bring in their color neg products anymore either(outside of grey market channels/importers, or importing directly from EU/Asian shops).

Fuji compared to Kodak in terms of TRANSPARENCY(not film, but business practices) is NIGHT vs. DAY. Kodak will sell ANYONE(with the cash) any size sheet film(to a point) from their currently offered product lines. 12x24(not 20) 320TXP? Not a problem. 20x24" Portra 400 or Ektar 100? Not a problem.

Fuji won't do special orders(however some apparent special orders have been done for *Japanese* customers?) in non-stock sizes, where as Kodak is fully capable & willing to do so, despite it not making a huge amount of money(that we know of)... Kodak(and now Alaris) have been quite upfront with their offerings, and despite cutting E-6 altogether(which I really lament the loss of E100G/VS), their products are still solid as can be, very capable and if I have a question, I can just ring them up. Fuji? Not as easy...
Getting a special order of a film type from Kodak is as easy as ringing up Kodak directly(or going through a dealer like Keith Canham), and having enough money to get it done. Fuji will just thumb their nose at you(even if you have $100k on the table and willing to deal). Why? Frankly I don't think they could be bothered... Film for Fuji is a tiny fraction of their business(as in-house documentation has proved). RA-4 paper and chemistry is a much larger part of their business, and thusly, you can buy a SINGLE roll of 20" RA-4 paper from a dealer(even if it is deemed a special-order item).

not poking directly at you, just informing you about Fuji's practices over the years, and it might be wise to research before commenting so. I prefer to buy product from companies that LISTEN to their customers. Kodak will listen(hell, YOU yourself were able to get Kodak to CONSIDER producing a non-stock film product on a much different substrate/line. Try that with Fuji. My bet is that you'll be sitting on the phone waiting. FOR YEARS(and possibly forever).

-Dan

You do realize half the world right now can't get any kodak products that they are asking for... My local lab as an example (in the us) can't seem to get anymore kodak products at all and now only carries ilford.

And I've seen tons of the same comments by others in Europe about how bad Kodaks distribution system is.

So I would venture it's fair to say that both companies have a lot of issues. Well, such is life I guess. My VERY SMALL, stash of 4x5 Fuji sheets in the freezer should last me through spring/summer. (1 box of each of the following) Velvia100, Astia100f, Provia100F and a 1/2 box of Velvia50... I don't shoot much color in sheet film. (It's a $ and time thing, I don't have an expert drum for 4x5 and no functioning processor either so it's all by hand and bucket water bath in a MOD54 which ain't easy).

Daniel Stone
6-Jan-2014, 04:26
You do realize half the world right now can't get any kodak products that they are asking for... My local lab as an example (in the us) can't seem to get anymore kodak products at all and now only carries ilford.

And I've seen tons of the same comments by others in Europe about how bad Kodaks distribution system is.

So I would venture it's fair to say that both companies have a lot of issues. Well, such is life I guess. My VERY SMALL, stash of 4x5 Fuji sheets in the freezer should last me through spring/summer. (1 box of each of the following) Velvia100, Astia100f, Provia100F and a 1/2 box of Velvia50... I don't shoot much color in sheet film. (It's a $ and time thing, I don't have an expert drum for 4x5 and no functioning processor either so it's all by hand and bucket water bath in a MOD54 which ain't easy).

I can't comment on your local lab's inability to order from a different distributor(and I don't know who your lab is, I frankly don't care), but there are enough distributors of E.K. products in the NY/CT/NJ area that I'd bet 15min of internet sleuthing could turn them up a new line of distributorship.

Again, I'm not poking a stick at YOU, but even in this day and age, it seems that many are too damn lazy to do a simple internet search to find anything. Many have *still* not realized that you [unfortunately] cannot just trust your local store clerk's opinion as a matter of fact. Many are simply that, clerks in a store. NOT photographers. They just work in a store, and collect a paycheck.
Doing your own internet legwork pays off BIG TIME in this day and age, becuase if you don't do it, there probably isn't anyone else who's going to do it for ya.... Matter of fact mate...

Ilford is a great company. EK is getting better (IMO) now that Alaris is (slowly) taking over distributorship and shaking the tree to get things moving and getting themselves used to running the show now worldwide. No company is perfect, perfection is an illusion.
I shoot color 90% of the time. That's MY choice. B/W I also use Kodak(TXP & Tmax 400). I've never really bonded with Ilford for anything other than their paper(which I have reluctantly used more because of my dwindling stash of Emaks G2/G3 is now almost all gone. Times change, but I'm not going to go and bury my head in the sand, or throw myself off a cliff just because my "favorite" emulsion(s) have gone the way of the dodo bird. I'm a survivor, and can thrive using new materials. I've scrimped and saved, even took on a 2nd job working fast food a few years back so I could stock up on my (at the time, and still very much fond of) color emulsions in 8x10(those being 160VC and E100G). I'm now reaping the "rewards" because I chose to do my homework, not be afraid of a bit of sweat and now have film for my camera. Ya, it cost money. Lots of money. But I wanted the film to shoot with more than a new car, or a shiny wrist watch.

Priorities differ amongst us. Some like fine tequila, scotch or brandy. Some are willing to pay *thousands* for a single bottle of the stuff. Me? I'll invest those same thousands into having many years worth of film to use in my cameras, on ice, waiting the right time to use it.

Despite now not being able to go to my local *pro* camera store and buy 8x10 film(I'm only 25, so 8x10 as a stock item has mostly been gone for some time now), but the days of buying 8x10 color off-the-shelf are pretty much over. It's internet consumerism baby. I've adapted. I buy from NY to save the taxes, and keep tabs on ebay auctions if something good comes up. It takes time, having cash ready, and REALLY wanting something.

I'm rambling here, so I'll stop. But blaming EK for not putting themselves into each minilab owners minds isn't really their fault. Fuji has LOADS of capital, and they probably undercut EK just to get the business from labs. Many labs here in LA run Fuji chemistry, and they seem to be fine with it. Costco is all Fuji. Fuji seemed to poach many "corporate" accounts simply for the printing market. Who really cares in the minilab sector? Most consumers will accept a 2.5-5pt sway in color as "alright". Pro-oriented labs will not tolerate that, and neither will their clientele. Many hi-end labs that I've spoke too that service professionals on a daily basis still prefer Kodak chemistry by far, even if it's "tougher" to get. They find it more stable, easier to mix and maintain, and for color(E-6 in particular), much more consistent in replenished systems such as dip-n-dunk machines. THEY(lab owners/operators) know that if you maintain your line properly, then you will have repeat business. Getting lazy and saying "we/you can correct that 5 points of magenta in the film, it's not THAT bad..." Sorry, back in the film-only days, they'd be out of business lickety-split... Besides, EK developed E-6, Fuji just copied them(and not as good IMO).

It's as easy as 1,2,3...

1. Google "Kodak minilab distributor"
2. (assuming one is found locally/suitably for you) Call said distributor
3. Place order

See? Easy. Maybe the distributor will require opening a purchase order acct, or maybe they'll be nice and just take credit cards from the owner/operator. Some are wholesale only, some will sell to anyone(even regular 'ol joes).

The world is getting smaller by the day, and this internet monster is now fully within our grasp(literally, smartphones, duh???). We can now see, compare and communicate our desires for products literally instantaneously. We no longer "have" to mail in an order sheet with our c/c #, we just phone up the company and order over the phone, or just click, click, click and buy on the net.

Even Keith Canham isn't a total "necessity" in the scheme of things. He's just organizes group orders and collects the cash. IIRC, you can still call up Kodak, send them a check(if you don't feel like splitting an order with anyone else), and they'll cut you whatever you want. Maybe I'm wrong, and things have changed, but this used to be the case.

Sorry if I'm coming across as "harsh, nasty, or insensitive" to Mom & Pop (photo store owners), but if ya don't roll with the times(at least a bit), you'll get left behind. Laziness and inability to change(even in the slightest) can spell disaster for even the smallest of companies/shops, etc...

Get your shops owner/operator busy searching the 'net. If their current distributor isn't cuttin the mustard, they should get on the horn to a new one.

StoneNYC
6-Jan-2014, 07:56
I can't comment on your local lab's inability to order from a different distributor(and I don't know who your lab is, I frankly don't care), but there are enough distributors of E.K. products in the NY/CT/NJ area that I'd bet 15min of internet sleuthing could turn them up a new line of distributorship.

Again, I'm not poking a stick at YOU, but even in this day and age, it seems that many are too damn lazy to do a simple internet search to find anything. Many have *still* not realized that you [unfortunately] cannot just trust your local store clerk's opinion as a matter of fact. Many are simply that, clerks in a store. NOT photographers. They just work in a store, and collect a paycheck.
Doing your own internet legwork pays off BIG TIME in this day and age, becuase if you don't do it, there probably isn't anyone else who's going to do it for ya.... Matter of fact mate...

Ilford is a great company. EK is getting better (IMO) now that Alaris is (slowly) taking over distributorship and shaking the tree to get things moving and getting themselves used to running the show now worldwide. No company is perfect, perfection is an illusion.
I shoot color 90% of the time. That's MY choice. B/W I also use Kodak(TXP & Tmax 400). I've never really bonded with Ilford for anything other than their paper(which I have reluctantly used more because of my dwindling stash of Emaks G2/G3 is now almost all gone. Times change, but I'm not going to go and bury my head in the sand, or throw myself off a cliff just because my "favorite" emulsion(s) have gone the way of the dodo bird. I'm a survivor, and can thrive using new materials. I've scrimped and saved, even took on a 2nd job working fast food a few years back so I could stock up on my (at the time, and still very much fond of) color emulsions in 8x10(those being 160VC and E100G). I'm now reaping the "rewards" because I chose to do my homework, not be afraid of a bit of sweat and now have film for my camera. Ya, it cost money. Lots of money. But I wanted the film to shoot with more than a new car, or a shiny wrist watch.

Priorities differ amongst us. Some like fine tequila, scotch or brandy. Some are willing to pay *thousands* for a single bottle of the stuff. Me? I'll invest those same thousands into having many years worth of film to use in my cameras, on ice, waiting the right time to use it.

Despite now not being able to go to my local *pro* camera store and buy 8x10 film(I'm only 25, so 8x10 as a stock item has mostly been gone for some time now), but the days of buying 8x10 color off-the-shelf are pretty much over. It's internet consumerism baby. I've adapted. I buy from NY to save the taxes, and keep tabs on ebay auctions if something good comes up. It takes time, having cash ready, and REALLY wanting something.

I'm rambling here, so I'll stop. But blaming EK for not putting themselves into each minilab owners minds isn't really their fault. Fuji has LOADS of capital, and they probably undercut EK just to get the business from labs. Many labs here in LA run Fuji chemistry, and they seem to be fine with it. Costco is all Fuji. Fuji seemed to poach many "corporate" accounts simply for the printing market. Who really cares in the minilab sector? Most consumers will accept a 2.5-5pt sway in color as "alright". Pro-oriented labs will not tolerate that, and neither will their clientele. Many hi-end labs that I've spoke too that service professionals on a daily basis still prefer Kodak chemistry by far, even if it's "tougher" to get. They find it more stable, easier to mix and maintain, and for color(E-6 in particular), much more consistent in replenished systems such as dip-n-dunk machines. THEY(lab owners/operators) know that if you maintain your line properly, then you will have repeat business. Getting lazy and saying "we/you can correct that 5 points of magenta in the film, it's not THAT bad..." Sorry, back in the film-only days, they'd be out of business lickety-split... Besides, EK developed E-6, Fuji just copied them(and not as good IMO).

It's as easy as 1,2,3...

1. Google "Kodak minilab distributor"
2. (assuming one is found locally/suitably for you) Call said distributor
3. Place order

See? Easy. Maybe the distributor will require opening a purchase order acct, or maybe they'll be nice and just take credit cards from the owner/operator. Some are wholesale only, some will sell to anyone(even regular 'ol joes).

The world is getting smaller by the day, and this internet monster is now fully within our grasp(literally, smartphones, duh???). We can now see, compare and communicate our desires for products literally instantaneously. We no longer "have" to mail in an order sheet with our c/c #, we just phone up the company and order over the phone, or just click, click, click and buy on the net.

Even Keith Canham isn't a total "necessity" in the scheme of things. He's just organizes group orders and collects the cash. IIRC, you can still call up Kodak, send them a check(if you don't feel like splitting an order with anyone else), and they'll cut you whatever you want. Maybe I'm wrong, and things have changed, but this used to be the case.

Sorry if I'm coming across as "harsh, nasty, or insensitive" to Mom & Pop (photo store owners), but if ya don't roll with the times(at least a bit), you'll get left behind. Laziness and inability to change(even in the slightest) can spell disaster for even the smallest of companies/shops, etc...

Get your shops owner/operator busy searching the 'net. If their current distributor isn't cuttin the mustard, they should get on the horn to a new one.

You're only 25? :) you sound like you're an old man (in mostly a good way).

I think you're missing the point of the kodak distribution thing, the DISTRIBUTORS can't get film either, this is something kodak employee's have commented on (on APUG) and it may be an issue of the bankruptcy etc.

My point wasn't to argue exactly, it was to point out that Fuji wasn't the only one with communication issues.

Even ilford, who are very communicative on APUG and their own website, if you weren't a member of either, really wouldn't get much info from, my local lab didn't even know what the Ilford ULF was. This is the only lab in CT that sells ilford film (to my knowledge), so they should be getting at least some info, but they don't seem to be. But at least they can still order film.

I also don't think it's a product of laziness, I think that you have to remember that these companies who sell film have been around for a long time have always gone to their Kodak "guy" because that's the only way Kodak would sell you film through the representative, and suddenly for those people to disappear or seemingly not have any film or not be able to get the lab any film, they don't really know what to do. Kodak has always been strict about not allowing you to buy from anyone but them directly, so even if you could google a distributor, they wouldn't be able to sell you film because you would be outside of their "zone". Get it?

Anyway the point is just that each company has their own issues.

Fuji probably wants to stop making film, and has decided it would be easier to appear like they are trying, but slowly chipping away.

However it's possible they have a plan to simply only make one color and one B&W film in the end. Just to have a name, and are carefully decoding between Provia100f and some form of Velvia...? And no C-41 films apparently as I just read they pulled out of the US market for that as well.

Let's hope the Fp100C will be around at least for a while, I like to be able to check my chrome shots.