PDA

View Full Version : Mail-order frame source? Pre-built?

Darin Boville
4-Jan-2014, 02:35
I want to order a set of basic black frame, metal or wood. What is a good mail order place?

Ideally here is what I would like--or at least as much of it as I can get:

Frame comes pre-assembled. If not pre-assembled (such as metal frames) I would love that the cut edges at least be pre-blackened (or someone tell me a fast way to accomplish this).

Frame comes with some sort of archival backing board so the photograph's rear mat board is not exposed.

Comes with pre-cut high quality glass. Museum glass would be great.

I'm basically looking to frame a few dozen prints at a time, once a month or so, and am trying to avoid a lot of the time/labor I usually spend messing with this stuff. I have no interest in framing aside from the basic need to display photographs.

--Darin

Greg Miller
4-Jan-2014, 03:48
I have been using www.framedestination.com for years. I highly recommend. They have exactly what you want, but I don't think they offer museum glass.

vinny
4-Jan-2014, 05:21
American frame. Their wood frames ship assembled. I don't think they sell glass though. I've been using them for ten years.

Jim Jones
4-Jan-2014, 07:22
I use a felt tip pen to darken the cut edges. Using a 4-ply window mat and mounting board backed with 3/16" foam core makes a neat framed package without using the springs that come with most unassembled aluminum frames. Ordering a fairly large supply of frames, mats, and foam core at one time saves money.

tgtaylor
4-Jan-2014, 09:07
Several years back when I was using a rental darkroom, the darkroom bought Nielsen black metal frames in quantity and sold them to their customers at bargain prices. I don't know where they got them from though and the darkroom has since went out of business.

Thomas

Amedeus
4-Jan-2014, 10:26
+1 ... just a pity they don't offer AR coated glass/acrylic ...

I have been using www.framedestination.com for years. I highly recommend. They have exactly what you want, but I don't think they offer museum glass.

BradS
4-Jan-2014, 10:52
Museum glass ?????

I don't know if they will ship but there's Cheap Pete's over in Walnut Creek...maybe close enough that you could make the trip to stock up?

ROL
4-Jan-2014, 11:28
I use a felt tip pen to darken the cut edges.

As do I, when little defects appear. Low tech as heck… and works like a charm.

ROL
4-Jan-2014, 11:47
I have no interest in framing aside from the basic need to display photographs.

That's funny… you will!

You will become quite interested in framing, if for no other reason that framing is so freakin' expensive. (FYI: that Pawn Stars "art appraiser" operates a frame shop).

I despise framing, and much prefer to leave it to the buyer. But alas, unfortunately, regrettably, infuriatingly, unless they are a specialized collector, they will almost always want a piece framed – for nothing!

Backing board is rarely (never, in my experience) anything other than cheap acidic cardboard in pre-assembled frames. I prefer acid neutral foam core, which is about the same price as decent cardboard, in sheets. You are foolish to use glass glazing in California, or even (especially) if you end up shipping framed material. I believe AR-Museum style acrylic glazing is now available.

You have much to learn, Grasshoppa.

Jim Andrada
4-Jan-2014, 23:57
+100 on the "freakin expensive"

I just had a show and had 40 pieces framed - some 20 x 24. I had no time or space to do it myself this time around. Looked beautiful when it was all done though.

Greg Miller
5-Jan-2014, 04:28
Backing board is rarely (never, in my experience) anything other than cheap acidic cardboard in pre-assembled frames. I prefer acid neutral foam core, which is about the same price as decent cardboard, in sheets.

The kits from framedestination.com include foamcore. The buyer has a choice of acid free in various thicknesses. I also use their UV acrylic which is neutral in color and lightweight (important for bigger pieces) and won't break during shipping. I do not like AR as it softens the image slightly. They basically use all the top end quality components I would use, except everything is already cut and ready to go. And I really like the look of an 8 ply mat (which I would never cut myself; 4 ply yes, 8 ply no).

Doug Howk
5-Jan-2014, 05:00
Craig Frames ships glass when frames are small, but acrylic for larger frames.
ArtToFrames is another good source.

Eric Biggerstaff
5-Jan-2014, 08:13
To repeat what Greg said, Frame Destinations is great. I have used them for years.

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Jan-2014, 08:17
Another +1 for Frame Destination. Been using them for many years now.

Roger Thoms
5-Jan-2014, 08:19
I also use Frame Destinations a and am very pleased.

Roger

tgtaylor
5-Jan-2014, 09:17
The "problem" - as I see it - with using ready made frames as from Frame Destinations is that your choices are limited to set sizes (11x14 for example instead of, say 12x15) and that if you "float" the print, as I do, you have to trim the print to match the window instead of cutting the window to match print. For example I've recently been matting 8x10 dry mounted prints on 12x15 matt board "lifting" the print 3/16" up from the bottom. I also like to float the image with a 3/16" space at the top and sides of the print and 6/16" at the bottom to accommodate a signature. Ready-made won't work for me.

Thomas

Richard Wasserman
5-Jan-2014, 09:24
I too am a happy customer of Frame Destination. They have great customer service and pack very well for safe shipping—I have never had a problem. They do custom sizes which can be ordered directly from their website.

Roger Thoms
5-Jan-2014, 09:31
Frame destinations does custom sizes including mats. You can specify all of the dimension so that you can "lift" the print. They also are meticulous in construction and the packaging/shipping. They are also prompt, I have never had to wait more than three days for a custom order to ship.

Roger

The "problem" - as I see it - with using ready made frames as from Frame Destinations is that your choices are limited to set sizes (11x14 for example instead of, say 12x15) and that if you "float" the print, as I do, you have to trim the print to match the window instead of cutting the window to match print. For example I've recently been matting 8x10 dry mounted prints on 12x15 matt board "lifting" the print 3/16" up from the bottom. I also like to float the image with a 3/16" space at the top and sides of the print and 6/16" at the bottom to accommodate a signature. Ready-made won't work for me.

Thomas

Greg Miller
5-Jan-2014, 09:33

Thomas

As Richard stated, Frame Destination allows you to order custom sizes. I do all sorts of odd sizes and it has never been a problem. I used to DIY it, but it's about the same price to let them do all the work.

tgtaylor
5-Jan-2014, 09:58
As Richard stated, Frame Destination allows you to order custom sizes. I do all sorts of odd sizes and it has never been a problem. I used to DIY it, but it's about the same price to let them do all the work.

Really! How much would they charge for a custom 12x15 frame and board cut to the specifications I set out above? I'm sure that they will/can do it but they are going to charge you for it for sure. I paid ~ $25 for the hardware for my last 12x15 Nielsen black frame at University Art in Palo Alto (not a "discount" store). Regular glass is included in the price but I went to Tap Plastics and got regular clear picture acrylic for ~$6 or so.

Assembling the frame and cutting the board (once you have done and checked the math) is quick and easy. A little more time consuming is positioning the print on the board and then tacking it down.

Thomas

Sal Santamaura
5-Jan-2014, 12:11
..I do not like AR as it softens the image slightly...Anti-reflection (AR) coated glazing, whether glass or acrylic, such as Tru Vue AR Reflection Free Glass and Optium Acrylic, do not soften the image at all. You have probably seen softening with the Museum versions, which add a laminated plastic layer to absorb UV. If find that layer very distracting and unnecessary. Stick with the plain AR types from Tru Vue and every nuance of a print's sharpness is clearly visible.

Greg Blank
5-Jan-2014, 12:17
Tru Vue Ar is good stuff, one side produces the best result it has a very slight texture on the out side, the glass also has a slight red bias which makes it more color pleasant than standard window glass. there are also plain glasses used for framing that have less of a green bais. The Optimum (looks like no glass in the frame) runs somewhere around 90-100 bucks a sheet for 16x20 if I recall correctly.

Anti-reflection (AR) coated glazing, whether glass or acrylic, such as Tru Vue AR Reflection Free Glass and Optium Acrylic, do not soften the image at all. You have probably seen softening with the Museum versions, which add a laminated plastic layer to absorb UV. If find that layer very distracting and unnecessary. Stick with the plain AR types from Tru Vue and every nuance of a print's sharpness is clearly visible.

Sal Santamaura
5-Jan-2014, 13:56
Tru Vue Ar is good stuff, one side produces the best result it has a very slight texture on the out side...No, AR Reflection-Free is smooth, anti-reflection coated on both sides. You might be thinking about Tru Vue Reflection Control, which is a typical textured "non-glare" glass.

Tru Vue Ar...has a slight red bias which makes it more color pleasant than standard window glass...I've not noticed any red in AR. Production less than, say, five years old is on a low-iron substrate that appears pretty much free of green or any other color cast, at least in my rooms illuminated by diffuse sunlight and/or tungsten.

...The Optimum (looks like no glass in the frame) runs somewhere around 90-100 bucks a sheet for 16x20 if I recall correctly.I found a source

http://www.preservationglazing.com/specs.html

selling pre-cut sheets. I paid around $45 each for 11x14 so, if it's linear with respect to area, your recollection seems correct.

Greg Miller
5-Jan-2014, 16:20
Really! How much would they charge for a custom 12x15 frame and board cut to the specifications I set out above? I'm sure that they will/can do it but they are going to charge you for it for sure. I paid ~ $25 for the hardware for my last 12x15 Nielsen black frame at University Art in Palo Alto (not a "discount" store). Regular glass is included in the price but I went to Tap Plastics and got regular clear picture acrylic for ~$6 or so.

Assembling the frame and cutting the board (once you have done and checked the math) is quick and easy. A little more time consuming is positioning the print on the board and then tacking it down.

Thomas

About $35 for a Nielsen frame and acid-free materials - $29 if you buy 4 or more.. http://www.framedestination.com/frames_complete_kit/complete_metal_picture_frame_kit/item/fkmeta00000000000000/. And you'll save the gas and time running around to get all the materials. And you won't have to pay for any mistakes in cutting materials. Seems like pretty much a wash to me.

Edit: Make that $27 for 4 when using AlphaMat instead of Alpha Rag, and glass instead of acrylic (just to keep the comparison apples to apples) (I normally use AlphaRag, but would probably use AlphaMat in a float mount with such little reveal).

Greg Miller
5-Jan-2014, 16:20
Anti-reflection (AR) coated glazing, whether glass or acrylic, such as Tru Vue AR Reflection Free Glass and Optium Acrylic, do not soften the image at all. You have probably seen softening with the Museum versions, which add a laminated plastic layer to absorb UV. If find that layer very distracting and unnecessary. Stick with the plain AR types from Tru Vue and every nuance of a print's sharpness is clearly visible.

Thanks.

polyglot
6-Jan-2014, 03:25
And where would an Australian buy these things? FDI does not ship internationally and I'm really struggling to get hold of affordable framing supplies.

The last place I called I hung up on in disgust because they wanted $50 for an un-cut 4-ply matte.

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Jan-2014, 08:34
Polyglot,

Try:

http://www.archivalmethods.com/index.cfm?

They may ship out of the country.

Sal Santamaura
13-Jan-2014, 16:11
Tru Vue Ar...has a slight red bias which makes it more color pleasant than standard window glass...

...I've not noticed any red in AR. Production less than, say, five years old is on a low-iron substrate that appears pretty much free of green or any other color cast, at least in my rooms illuminated by diffuse sunlight and/or tungsten...

...The Optimum (looks like no glass in the frame)...

I found a source

http://www.preservationglazing.com/specs.html

selling pre-cut sheets. I paid around $45 each for 11x14 so, if it's linear with respect to area, your recollection seems correct.I just used the first sheet of that 11x14 Optium. Under the same illumination conditions described above, it does impart a warm, reddish-brown cast to prints/mats under it. To my eyes, among glazings with reasonable US availability, only recent-production Tru Vue AR glass essentially "disappears" in the frame.

srbphoto
31-Jan-2014, 22:51
I didn't look over the whole thread but with having the gallery you can buy wholesale from Hankins-Koppel. They are in South San Francisco and the prices are awesome. You have to have a business license in a related field. They will cut to size and have great glass prices.

This was about 5 or 6 years ago, but a Nielson frame 20X24 priced out to around $15 a frame with glass. I did buy enough for 20 frames though. It would have a little cheaper if I cut the frame stock myself. Not sure what the current prices are.

Darin Boville
31-Jan-2014, 23:10
I didn't look over the whole thread but with having the gallery you can buy wholesale from Hankins-Koppel. They are in South San Francisco and the prices are awesome. You have to have a business license in a related field. They will cut to size and have great glass prices.

This was about 5 or 6 years ago, but a Nielson frame 20X24 priced out to around $15 a frame with glass. I did buy enough for 20 frames though. It would have a little cheaper if I cut the frame stock myself. Not sure what the current prices are.

Hey, there are a Museum Glass dealer as well--outstanding tip. Thanks,

--Darin