PDA

View Full Version : Feeler/exploration for Wanted, 10 people for 5x7 print exchange. 2014, year 1

Tin Can
2-Jan-2014, 17:59
Not all of us feel good enough to join the cool guys in the 18 print exchange. I, for one, am simply not ready for that. Just like Sundance Film Fest has an alternative, http://www.slamdance.com/ I propose a less anbitous print exchange program.

To keep it simple and cheap, we make 5x7 prints only. If you don't do 5x7, crop an 8x10 or simply use a 4x5. Not many rules, not many people. Please DO use large format film or paper, no digital, no 35mm, no 120 roll film. Contact prints, Direct Positive prints, Reversal positive negs/chromes. enlargements, whatever. 5X7 on 8X10 backing ONLY, nothing bigger accepted. No frames, no wood, only single print on matt board or paper. I want to exclude digital prints, so wet work only, alt anything is also good. Hybrid is OK, if final is wet printed.

We organize the same way the 18 Print Folio guys do it and each of us produces 10 5x7 prints anyway we want. I prefer contact prints as it becomes very fast to produce. But feel free to do anything. Make sure your print is matted no larger than 8x10 and we can easily mail these in 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" USPS.Priority Mail boxes, fixed CONUS cost of $12.35.

No set topic, shoot and exhibit anything legal.

Please join and follow through.

If interest exceeds 10, I suggest someone start another group. This will be group 1.5x7.

So each group 1.5x7 member commits to making 10 identical prints and mailing them to me, and when all 10 are in, I mail them out to all 10 Group 1-5x7 members. Each member then gets 10 prints to keep. I think we can do this for $15.00 a shipment using the $12.35, USPS Priority cost boxes.

So your cost will be $12.35 to ship to me, please include $15.00 cash (no checks) in your shipment for the reshipping expense and I will repack and reship to all members.

If I have some logic mistake or bad plan mistake let me know.

If you want to do this let me know.

Let me know here, in public, no PM's!

How about a joining/commitment deadline of February 1, 2014.

How about an April 1, 2014 April Fools Day shipping to me deadline. Please make the deadline!

I will reship by April 15th, 2014 giving us all a tax day gift.

This shipping plan and cost is calculated for CONUS only, if anyone else in the world joins, their costs and shipping times will need to be calculated by them.

Gad, the details....

I prefer we do all communication in public on this thread, unless Mod's move us where they need.

Add your name below and let's keep this to active members with 25 posts or more.

Group 1.5x7

#1 Randy Moe
#2 ???

ScottPhotoCo
2-Jan-2014, 18:06
I'd do this.

Tin Can
2-Jan-2014, 18:16
Cool, thanks!

Group 1.5x7

#1 Randy Moe
#2 Tim (ScottPhotoCo)

I'd do this.

jp
2-Jan-2014, 18:51
I'm in.
#3 Jason Philbrook (jp498)

$15 is reasonable to ship, but I bet it'd be even less to ship an 8x10 film box full of prints.

Tin Can
2-Jan-2014, 19:22
And now 3! 7 more spots!

Group 1.5x7

#1 Randy Moe
#2 Tim (ScottPhotoCo)

I'm in.

$15 is reasonable to ship, but I bet it'd be even less to ship an 8x10 film box full of prints.

mdm
2-Jan-2014, 20:36
I can do this, but I would prefer it worked like the postcard exchange, just in an envelope. Not reliant on one person to amalgamate and dispatch the prints. No bother waiting for the late people, it turns up when it turns up, early ones first, late ones last.

Tin Can
2-Jan-2014, 21:21
That is a wrinkle I did not think of. I think I will stick with original plan as we are three already and I am not sure separate envelopes would be any cheaper. I also like the thrill of looking at a set in one go. I have set deadlines, if you miss you miss. First important lesson I learned in art school, don't miss a deadline by even 5 minutes.

Thanks David.

I can do this, but I would prefer it worked like the postcard exchange, just in an envelope. Not reliant on one person to amalgamate and dispatch the prints. No bother waiting for the late people, it turns up when it turns up, early ones first, late ones last.

Bob Mann
2-Jan-2014, 21:49
Count me in for this -

billie williams
2-Jan-2014, 22:04
Cool, I would like to do this!

mdm
2-Jan-2014, 22:55
I am in.

andreios
3-Jan-2014, 00:03
So am I, great idea!

Jim Graves
3-Jan-2014, 01:02
Add me to the list.

jb7
3-Jan-2014, 05:09
great idea, please let me in...

redrockcoulee
3-Jan-2014, 06:07
Randy

Add me to the list if there is still spots available

Ivan

ataim
3-Jan-2014, 08:47
Chunk my name into the hat also. Thanks.

Jody_S
3-Jan-2014, 09:49
Count me in too, I want to try contact prints in 5x7 of snow scenes in the coming weeks.

Tin Can
3-Jan-2014, 12:18
OK, we are 12, a good number and this Group stops with 12. I will collate and send each Group 1.5x7 member my address for shipping soon.

Anybody else wants in, it is too late, please consider starting a new group on a new thread

Thanks everybody!

Colin Robertson
3-Jan-2014, 12:42
Oops . . . too late! Best of luck on this one Randy.

Tin Can
3-Jan-2014, 14:26
Sorry Colin, you could have been lucky 13, but this is closed and I know a lot of people do not like 13, for some reason.

Oops . . . too late! Best of luck on this one Randy.

stray_227
10-Jan-2014, 07:07
If anyone needs to drop out - I'd love to participate as well

Tin Can
10-Jan-2014, 17:45
Hello 5x7.1 Group print exchange.

We have 12 people.

I set April 1 as mailing date, let's try to shoot for delivery, to me, April 1, 2014. This means some people distant from me in Chicago will need to mail a little earlier.

So each of us sends me 12 prints, which includes your own. When I get all 12, I will repack them into 12 USPS Priority Mail boxes and send them out to all of us. I will try my best to mail them April 15, 2014. If I have the prints they will be shipped.

Remember, image is 5X7 inches or smaller, attached or matted to 8x10 inches something, no frames, a paper backing is fine and nice matt board is also fine.

You can ship to me anyway you want.

Please enclose your 12 prints AND $15 cash, checks only if necessary. Let's skip insurance and signatures and hope for the best. Do not send me your Mona Lisa!

The $15 will cover sending the prints out to each of you in USA, those farther away, please look up shipping and include enough to cover YOUR return shipping.

I don't want to lose money, nor do I want to make money.

PM with questions, but if the question is generic, lets keep the discussion public here on the announcement thread.

I am posting this here and I am sending you each this in a PM with my address in a few minutes. Let's keep my address to ourselves.

Let's have fun!

Tin Can
10-Jan-2014, 18:12
How about starting a new group of 10, Colin Robertson also wants to do this.

If you want to make a new group, please start a new thread in announcements.

To avoid confusion call it Group 5X7.2 Second Group! Or make it a better name...

Good luck

QUOTE=stray_227;1097152]If anyone needs to drop out - I'd love to participate as well[/QUOTE]

jb7
10-Jan-2014, 18:16
Thanks Randy, got your message- Thanks for organizing this, I did a couple when Darr organized them, and it was very enjoyable receiving the prints, though sending them was always a bit fraught, if I remember correctly. My paper arrived from Germany yesterday, so I should be ready to print soon...

Just checked my wallet, $16 cash, will try to keep it contiguous...

Joseph

jb7
10-Jan-2014, 18:18
Second group. Ten more prints. Tempting...

Tin Can
11-Jan-2014, 12:53
Here is the list of current participants, in order of sign up.

Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Jason Philbrook jp498
Bob Mann
billie williams
David MDM
Jim Graves
jb7
Ivan redrockcoulee
Paul Ward ataim
Jody S Jody_S

Right now we have one drop out, so we are 11. He had a very good reason.

I will add people if we drop below 10.

This starts to get complicated, we cannot PM more than 5 people at once!

Tin Can
14-Jan-2014, 22:19
Hi Group 5X7.1

Now we have a maybe dropout, kinda confusing.

I am adding Colin Robertson and stray_227 which makes us 11 or 12, depending if Jim Graves is actually in or or out.

So I think everybody still needs to make 12 prints to send to me.

The list is now,

Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Jason Philbrook jp498
Bob Mann
billie williams
David MDM
Jim Graves maybe, Jim your email was confusing, do whatever you need to do.
jb7
Ivan redrockcoulee
Paul Ward ataim
Jody S Jody_S

Colin Robertson
stray_227

Colin Robertson
24-Jan-2014, 12:09
Only just noticed I had a message (Duh!) and seems like I'm IN.
Thanks Randy, will do my best to find something good for this.

Tin Can
24-Jan-2014, 21:15
This is great!

I'll do a final count and see who is in or out (by their own choice) and post here on the unofficial deadline of February 1!

We all have 2 months to produce a handful of 5x7" prints.

Can we do it?

Only just noticed I had a message (Duh!) and seems like I'm IN.
Thanks Randy, will do my best to find something good for this.

ScottPhotoCo
24-Jan-2014, 23:40
Yes.

Jody_S
25-Jan-2014, 01:54
Hell yes ;)

billie williams
25-Jan-2014, 08:39
Hell yes ;)

+1

Tin Can
4-Feb-2014, 16:22
Bumping this UP.

So it's February and the deadline for joining was 2/1/2014 US notation.

We have less than 2 months to produce, 13 prints. April 1, 2014 is our ship to me date, from all over the world. If you live on the moon, ship earlier.

We had one full dropout, one maybe dropout and 2 added.

So 13 prints covers us all.

I need to get started myself!

Here is the list again.

Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Jason Philbrook jp498
Bob Mann
billie williams
David MDM
Jim Graves (maybe)
jb7
Ivan redrockcoulee
Paul Ward ataim
Jody S Jody_S

Colin Robertson
stray_227

Ask general questions here, let's keep it all on permanent record.

If you need my mailing address, please PM me.

I will post another update in a month.

Thanks everyone!

Colin Robertson
8-Feb-2014, 14:04
Don't know how anyone else is progressing, but just to keep this thread alive-
I've been printing today. A couple of thoughts on the process. First, I found it hard to make myself print 12 (actually 14, in case of defects) identical images. I kept wanting to wander off, and try burning the sky just a little more to see how it looked, and maybe just tweaking the foreground a touch. So, having a couple of spares means I can weed out anything too different to the rest.
Secondly, what an interesting size 5x7 is! I always thought 10x8 would be the smallest size could live with as a contact print. Not so- 5x7 is very pleasing.
My prints need a little spotting- the negative is Fomapan 100, which I love, but it has just a couple of small defects. With luck I'll do that this coming week.
Then I have to decide how to present them- are we looking at mounted prints? How's everyone else thinking of doing it?

Tin Can
8-Feb-2014, 14:41
I love 5x7 and find myself constantly cropping digital to 5x7 or square, in my copy work.

I am sure variations will be expected. Nobody would know except me and I won't tell!

Mounting is your option. No fancy frames and please make the mount no bigger than 8x10 so they all fit in cheap mailers.

I keep changing my image, so I have no idea yet what I will have.

Don't know how anyone else is progressing, but just to keep this thread alive-
I've been printing today. A couple of thoughts on the process. First, I found it hard to make myself print 12 (actually 14, in case of defects) identical images. I kept wanting to wander off, and try burning the sky just a little more to see how it looked, and maybe just tweaking the foreground a touch. So, having a couple of spares means I can weed out anything too different to the rest.
Secondly, what an interesting size 5x7 is! I always thought 10x8 would be the smallest size could live with as a contact print. Not so- 5x7 is very pleasing.
My prints need a little spotting- the negative is Fomapan 100, which I love, but it has just a couple of small defects. With luck I'll do that this coming week.
Then I have to decide how to present them- are we looking at mounted prints? How's everyone else thinking of doing it?

Colin Robertson
8-Feb-2014, 15:32
Hi Randy. I know what you mean- I had a short list of images I kept looking at.
Today I made up my mind I had to take a decision, otherwise it would be Christmas again and I'd still be looking for 'the perfect image'.

Colin Robertson
2-Mar-2014, 14:09
Prints will go in the post tomorrow!
Cheers Randy.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2014, 14:19
OK, but the deadline is still April 1st.

I am about to send everybody a reminder.

Better early than late!

Thank you!

Prints will go in the post tomorrow!
Cheers Randy.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2014, 14:22
Hello 5x7 print exchange group, Year 1!

This is a reminder that we now have less than a month to complete and send our 13 prints.

Here is the list again.

Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Jason Philbrook jp498
Bob Mann
billie williams
David MDM
Jim Graves (maybe)
jb7
Ivan redrockcoulee
Paul Ward ataim
Jody S Jody_S

Colin Robertson
stray_227

gth
5-Mar-2014, 20:43
Will the prints be displayed here?

Tin Can
5-Mar-2014, 21:15
It's up to our group. The whole idea is to see actual prints in hand and not simply look at digital representation.

So after we all share within our group, I will ask the group, what THEY want.

It may be some do and some don't.

It will not be a majority rule vote. It will be individual choice and I think each individual has the responsibility to do the posting, if they want to.

It will not be up to me.

I think that's the only fair way.

If I am wrong, please advise me. Group members only, need apply.

Will the prints be displayed here?

analoguey
5-Mar-2014, 22:02
Wow. I missed this one too.
Would've liked to sign up.

mdm
5-Mar-2014, 22:23
My print has selected itself today, a few to make now.

Tin Can
5-Mar-2014, 23:00
Cool. I am getting excited, but I keep changing my mind. deadlines work well with me, they get me motivated.

My print has selected itself today, a few to make now.

jp
6-Mar-2014, 08:01
I've been printing for this recently too. I'm doing alt process contact prints, and I can do two at a time, so I'll be using two similar negatives so I can do two prints at once instead of one at a time, which would be really slow going with alt process. You won't get two prints of course, just one or the other from related negatives. Might be done and ready to send in by Monday.

billie williams
6-Mar-2014, 08:51
Well, let me be one to confess that I am still shooting for this project. I am trying to use my 5x7 camera instead of enlarging a existing 4x5 negative. It's a blast using the Korona and petzval.

I'll meet the deadline, for sure. But I won't be early. Lol!

Bob Mann
12-Mar-2014, 11:01
13 prints are done, package will be on its way to Randy tomorrow -

Tin Can
12-Mar-2014, 11:03
Excellent! I am reshooting mine today, to get a better neg and printing tomorrow.

13 prints are done, package will be on its way to Randy tomorrow -

Tin Can
12-Mar-2014, 12:37
Just got a nice package of 12 prints from Colin Robertson of Scotland.

Thank you Colin!

This defines the group better.

I have heard nothing from Jim Graves about whether is he actually in or out. So there are only 12 known active members. Sorry Jim Graves.

So please send only 12 prints. Colin boxed his in a used 8x10 Ilford paper box, which holds 12 matted images.

This is a great start.

Colin Robertson
12-Mar-2014, 14:59
Oops. Sorry Randy. Seems like in my over-stimulated frame of mind I didn't actually read all the posts here. I sent 12, but if the group actually needs 13, I have a couple of spare prints ready. I'm happy to send a print direct to anyone on the list.
Yours, Mr Dyscalculia.

Tin Can
12-Mar-2014, 15:10
Well, since I have heard nothing from Jim Graves, I think we can just call the group 12. Heck, I am making 15 for my run, so I have a couple spares, maybe my girl friend wants one.

Of course if I hear different from Jim, I will include him and update everyone. There is still time Jim!

As a reminder Print packages are due to me April 1, 2014. At this time please send ONLY 12!

Colin is an early bird!

Thank you Colin.

Oops. Sorry Randy. Seems like in my over-stimulated frame of mind I didn't actually read all the posts here. I sent 12, but if the group actually needs 13, I have a couple of spare prints ready. I'm happy to send a print direct to anyone on the list.
Yours, Mr Dyscalculia.

Jody_S
12-Mar-2014, 15:54
I have several images to choose from, all taken since January, so I'll set up the enlarger over the week-and and start printing.

Andrew O'Neill
12-Mar-2014, 16:54
I can't believe I didn't see this thread! Bummer...

jp
12-Mar-2014, 17:33
USPS says Randy will get my photos today, which most likely means tomorrow.

Jim Graves
13-Mar-2014, 12:38
Sorry I missed the post about the confusion regarding my participation.

What I intended was to give my spot to one of the 2 people who were on the original wait list (when it was supposed to be limited to 10 people.)

I said I would still try to do a set, because, in my experience someone ususally had to drop out at the deadline ... but to not count me as one of the main group. That way I would still have incentive to shoot and could perhaps fill a void if it was necessary at the deadline. I still hope to do that.

So you're officially at 12 ... with a possible filler if someone falls through at the end.

Sorry for causing confusion. Jim in Sacramento

Tin Can
13-Mar-2014, 12:41
Thanks for your reply Jim.

Ok let's wait and see what happens.

I count 4 including me that have definitely sent or are about to send.

Sorry I missed the post about the confusion regarding my participation.

What I intended was to give my spot to one of the 2 people who were on the original wait list (when it was supposed to be limited to 10 people.)

I said I would still try to do a set, because, in my experience someone ususally had to drop out at the deadline ... but to not count me as one of the main group. That way I would still have incentive to shoot and could perhaps fill a void if it was necessary at the deadline. I still hope to do that.

So you're officially at 12 ... with a possible filler if someone falls through at the end.

Sorry for causing confusion. Jim in Sacramento

Tin Can
13-Mar-2014, 17:41
They got here after 6 and I checked and all are in perfect condition. I didn't count them as I don't want to handle them much, I assume 12 or 13.

USPS says Randy will get my photos today, which most likely means tomorrow.

Tin Can
13-Mar-2014, 17:46
Update

No rush folks, the delivery deadline is April 1, 2014.

I will try to ship April 15, 2014.

But please don't wait until April 14th to ship, a lot of people are depending on each other.

Here's the list of prints in my possession.

Jason Philbrook jp498
Colin Robertson
Randy Moe

Tin Can
18-Mar-2014, 16:49
The prints are rolling in. We now have 5 sets in my hands.

Jason Philbrook jp498
Colin Robertson
Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Bob Mann

jb7
23-Mar-2014, 07:09
My prints are packaged and ready to go in the morning.

I reckon they should arrive by Friday, Monday latest, barring catastrophic disasters with the post, in which case it could be anytime, or never...

Thanks Randy, for organising this...

joseph

Tin Can
23-Mar-2014, 15:36
I can't wait. Good news.

I printed all mine last night and 3 extra with spots, so I will practice spotting with those 3. Wish I had my last wife, she was a pro at spotting, she worked for Playboy in the 80's.

My prints are packaged and ready to go in the morning.

I reckon they should arrive by Friday, Monday latest, barring catastrophic disasters with the post, in which case it could be anytime, or never...

Thanks Randy, for organising this...

joseph

billie williams
24-Mar-2014, 12:46
Okay - just sent them to you by UPS, delivery date of Friday. YAY!

Tin Can
24-Mar-2014, 12:58
OK!

5 in house and 2 on the way. We are getting there!

Okay - just sent them to you by UPS, delivery date of Friday. YAY!

Tin Can
28-Mar-2014, 13:53
Now we have 6 in my house. Thank you Billie!

Jason Philbrook jp498
Colin Robertson
Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Bob Mann
Billie Williams

Tin Can
30-Mar-2014, 11:18
Over the hump. We have 7 in house.

Thanks Jim Graves!

Jason Philbrook jp498
Colin Robertson
Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Bob Mann
Billie Williams
Jim Graves

jb7
1-Apr-2014, 14:47
Not arrived yet? That's a bit disappointing...

Tin Can
1-Apr-2014, 19:36
Hang in there they must be on the way.

Knock on wood, I have yet to not get a package ever and I get about 200 deliveries a year. Sometimes things get 'Lost in America' for a while, but they do show up!

How did you send it?

And the delivery deadline I set is not for 2 weeks.

Not arrived yet? That's a bit disappointing...

Tin Can
1-Apr-2014, 19:41
This is last call for shipments. I will not pressure anyone and this the last plea for shipping. I hope to have all prints in my hands by April 15, 2014 and I will ship them back out to all participants soon after that date.

I will not ship on April 15th as that is a heavy mail day for Federal Income Tax submissions in USA.

Thanks everybody!

Jim Graves
1-Apr-2014, 22:16
This is last call for shipments. I will not pressure anyone and this the last plea for shipping. I hope to have all prints in my hands by April 15, 2014 ... .

Still time to shoot, develop, print, and ship! Or pick a neg and print ... :-)

jb7
2-Apr-2014, 05:23
Hang in there they must be on the way.

Knock on wood, I have yet to not get a package ever and I get about 200 deliveries a year. Sometimes things get 'Lost in America' for a while, but they do show up!

How did you send it?

And the delivery deadline I set is not for 2 weeks.

Regular post- USPS your end.

I've only had one delayed delivery from there, Upstate NY to Dublin in December, it took a month.

The holdup was in Chicago...

Tin Can
2-Apr-2014, 13:59
Today 2 deliveries!

We are 9 printers ready for outbound shipping.

Jason Philbrook jp498
Colin Robertson
Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Bob Mann
Billie Williams
Jim Graves
jb7
stray_227

ataim
3-Apr-2014, 06:01
Shipping mine today. Sorry for the delay:(

Jody_S
3-Apr-2014, 11:44
I am dealing with some unexpected and rather serious personal problems, I think I'm going to have to bow out. I have not printed yet, though I did choose a negative. I was hoping to get it done this week so I could still get them there in time, but it hasn't happened yet.

Tin Can
3-Apr-2014, 11:45
If I get it by April 15, 2014 it will be shipped.

I am dealing with some unexpected and rather serious personal problems, I think I'm going to have to bow out. I have not printed yet, though I did choose a negative. I was hoping to get it done this week so I could still get them there in time, but it hasn't happened yet.

Tin Can
11-Apr-2014, 17:13
Today one more came in, so we are 10. That's the original goal!

Thanks Atain!

I will still not pack and ship until April 16th, so...

Atain Paul Ward
Jason Philbrook jp498
Colin Robertson
Randy Moe
Tim, ScottPhotoCo
Bob Mann
Billie Williams
Jim Graves
jb7
stray_227

Tin Can
16-Apr-2014, 17:28
Hello. A 4 business day delay in shipping. I had to return to hospital today for work on my stent insertion area. They will ship next Monday.

Please be patient, I have them in stacks now. Next I must double check the whole thing. Then pack and ship.

I think everybody sent 12, maybe one 13. The extras will be returned to you and will be on the bottom of the stack.

I call it the stack as everybody sent them in stacks!

They will be shipped USPS Priority mail, even the lone offshore entry. So shipping speed should be quick.

I expect everyone to have them one week from tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

ScottPhotoCo
16-Apr-2014, 17:30
No rush, Randy. Take care of yourself.

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Jim Graves
16-Apr-2014, 18:27
Yup, take it easy ... put your feet up and rest!

billie williams
16-Apr-2014, 19:12
Randy, please don't feel any rush. Your health comes first. This whole swap has already been a real pleasure - we'll get the stacks when we do.

Colin Robertson
17-Apr-2014, 14:44
Randy, look after yourself first. The photos will be all the sweeter for the antici . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pation.

Tin Can
20-Apr-2014, 18:48
OK. The packages are ready. They will be shipped tomorrow, USPS Priority Mail Express in the 9.5x12 padded envelopes. USPS claims 1 day delivery in USA and 5 days to Colin.

I asked you all for $15 shipping and everybody sent cash as requested. Thank you. A few put in $20 and Colin paid a whole lot more for shipping to Scotland. He also chipped in a little extra for a beer! But I am not allowed beer any more, so I added all the cash up and had enough for faster shipping.

There is signature required, it is standard procedure for USPS Priority Mail Express.

Let me know IF you don't get your 'Stack' within just a few days. Not much I can do if they don't arrive, but we all will want to know if there is a problem. They are insured for a whooping $100, but...

I had fun and as a few pointed out, this project got us off our duffs and produce a series, which I never do.

Once they are delivered let's discuss, here on this thread.

Thank you everyone!

Jim Graves
20-Apr-2014, 19:41
Yup ... I had two reasons for signing on ... 1) it's always a good thing to see others' work ... and 2) it's an even better thing to get off the computer and shoot, develop, and print.

Was a great experience for me ... looking forward to seeing everyone's visions.

Mine is a still life ... AND a 5x7 ... both of which I almost never shoot ... so was a good stretch. Hope you all enjoyed the process as much as I did.

Jim in Sacramento

analoguey
21-Apr-2014, 01:57
When's the next one starting?

jb7
21-Apr-2014, 08:11
Looking forward to seeing everyone else's prints-
Thanks for organising this Randy-

Tin Can
21-Apr-2014, 11:16
I stated this event nearly 4 months ago. This takes time, planning and willing participants. I may become involved again next New Year. No guarantee. I simply copied the other Print sharing threads, ideas and made my own 'rules'.

If anyone wants to do it, they are free to do so. I suggest you read everything in this thread and the other one and then carefully consider the commitment.

I see my 9 'Stacks' have been picked up by 'somebody' as they are gone from the lobby, but until my 'Stacks" are home I am still nervous.

I also think this is a better Winter project, as many of us are out in the field as much as possible the rest of the year.

When's the next one starting?

Tin Can
21-Apr-2014, 12:16
Now all 9 packages are in the system. USPS has them and I have tracking #'s, which I am not going to use unless disaster occurs!

Colin Robertson
21-Apr-2014, 15:12
Well done Randy- looking forward to seeing the prints. These days (sadly) the only real silver prints I see 'in the flesh' are ones I receive through a print exchange on another forum. This will be like Little Christmas.
Cheers!

jb7
22-Apr-2014, 09:35
Got mine just before noon- Thank you all, great to get them at last after all these months. I look forward to spending some more time with them later this evening-
And thanks again Randy for putting it all together-

billie williams
23-Apr-2014, 11:50
Hi Everybody,
I received the "stack" yesterday, and they are all so damn beautiful. And different. And engaging. This has been an enlightening process and I learned quite a bit. 5x7 is a tough proportion for me because I am used to shooting either 4x5 or 8x10. I found myself a bit uncomfortable with the extra space. Who knew?
My two favorite parts were shipping off the package to Randy (omg, what a relief!) and then opening the stack last night. It was fascinating to look at each image. And I felt connected to all of you who participated. Very cool.
Thank you Randy for running the project! You were always cheerful and did a great job of gathering 10 disparate folks and creating a group. Well done. And bravo to everyone else for sharing their beautiful work.
Best, Billie

Bob Mann
23-Apr-2014, 14:12
WOW - great job Randy! And to all in the group, thanks for sharing and taking the time and effort to make this happen. These are all unique, engaging, a real joy to look at. My thanks to all in the group for taking the time to select, print, package and ship - I think together we have made something special. I know I am looking forward to doing something like this again.

Bob

Jim Graves
23-Apr-2014, 17:17
Yes, thanks to all for great photos ... this is my 5th of various exchanges and this one rates right up there with the best. Really a nice set of prints.

I don't normally shoot either 5x7 or still lifes ... so this was a departure for me. I really enjoyed it and have enjoyed my initial look through to see the different styles, processes, and papers. Will have to sit down now with a glass of wine and really LOOK at them. I always learn something from everybody's print ... I'm looking forward to that in a quiet period tonight.

As has been written already, these exchanges take quite an effort. It's a great idea when we sign up but sometimes our hopes don't quite match up to the time available or life circumstances that exist at the finish line. For those who didn't make it this time we look forward to seeing your work next time around.

Cheers from Sacramento.

Bob Mann
24-Apr-2014, 09:34
As Randy suggested, for those who were not in this exchange this is the image I selected. This is a negative scan, I used Ilford Art 300 paper which does not scan very well as a print.

Bob

Tin Can
24-Apr-2014, 09:58
Bob, broke the ice, so here is mine. I did show this earlier in Len Lee's 1/1 macro thread.

This was influenced and shot this month in a visual response to the 1950's Atomic bomb Test images.

I believe my print and scan are pretty close on my monitor.

Jim Graves
24-Apr-2014, 22:21
And here's mine ... and an alternate.

I shot these white tulips ... with an 8.5" Kodak Commercial Ektar on 5x7 Ilford FP4 developed in Pyro HD 1-1-100... one shot wide open (f-6.3) and one shot at f-32.

I shoot mostly soft focus and preferred the wide open shot.

The next choice was the paper ... fiber or RC ... glossy, pearl, or matte.

To me, two of the advantages of soft focus ... as long as there is an area of sharpness ... is that you can limit the area of interest and there is a perceived depth to the photo that is sort of missing when the entire field is in focus. Likewise ... and once again, this is just my opinion ... glossy RC paper seems to increase this increased depth effect ... I'm not sure why ... but the same negative printed on matte seems flatter.

So I contact printed this one on Ilford's Glossy RC paper.

Oh, and as for composition ... always nice to have a little negative space to add some imbalance, interest and eye movement.

Anyway ... here are the two shots ... the first is the one I sent in ... the second the one still to be printed:

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Tulips soft.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Tulips sharp.jpg

jb7
26-Apr-2014, 16:10
Nice to meet you all, and again, thank you for all your lovely prints...

I've been looking at the print, trying to match it in photoshop but it's difficult- the walls are not neutral colours here, and they affect the colour of the print and mount- which is a bright white, to show the colour of the paper. It's about the right size on a 24" HD monitor too...
As I mentioned to Jim, the internet is great, but it doesn't do tactility.

When Randy suggested a print exchange I jumped at the chance, since I was about to test a couple of new papers- and he said he didn't mind how we were to get a 5x7, so this one is a centre crop from a 7x17.

Printed on Fomalux, in Ecoprint, I'm very impressed with the paper- look forward to using it some more when I get the time.

http://www.carboncameras.com/img/Kent_jb7_LFPF_Print_Exchange_2014.jpg

jp
26-Apr-2014, 19:29
Bob, your print is much nicer than the scan!

I enjoyed the variety of papers and choices on this print exchange!

jp
27-Apr-2014, 12:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw686h-sQi8 is a video of my shared images being made.

Here it is before toning
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5343/9474137429_75a9709a41_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/frcqZ4)img429 (https://flic.kr/p/frcqZ4) by philbrookjason (https://www.flickr.com/people/13759696@N02/), on Flickr

jp
27-Apr-2014, 12:34
To me, two of the advantages of soft focus ... as long as there is an area of sharpness ... is that you can limit the area of interest and there is a perceived depth to the photo that is sort of missing when the entire field is in focus. Likewise ... and once again, this is just my opinion ... glossy RC paper seems to increase this increased depth effect ... I'm not sure why ... but the same negative printed on matte seems flatter.

Don't be afraid to combine soft focus and Ilford Art300 paper; it's a nice match for different subjects than this. Soft photos with less dark area (and more mid-tones) look nice on the art300. It's got an alt-process look to it but it as easy as normal silver paper.

Colin Robertson
28-Apr-2014, 13:49
Prints came today. Lovely!
A real mix of papers, including Art300, Fomalux contact printing paper, and a cyanotype. Also, great range of subjects and styles. A very rich collection, and well worth the effort of taking part.
So, Randy, thank you very much for oiling the wheels that made this happen, and thanks to everyone who put in a print- there was a lot of work in that little package.

Tin Can
28-Apr-2014, 14:41
Well, I am happy to see we all got our Stacks. My job is done. It was a pleasure organizing this and seeing all the prints as they they came in. I'm pretty sure I got the 2 or 3 extra prints back to their owners.

I have shown my Stack to a few friends and they are always happy to see actual prints. Many of of my digital only friends are finally realizing the ephemeral nature of digital and the continual effort required to preserve digital files.

Prints and negatives seem to last much longer.

So until next year, I will bow out. If I do it again, it will be exactly the same. Same size, 5X7 on 8X10, with a limit of 10 people. Shipping that size is much easier, cheaper and 10 Stacks is enough to wrangle. No one will be solicited until that time, so please don't ask to join now. It will be first come, next year.

adieu

jp
28-Apr-2014, 17:54
And for the people that missed out. The stack on display:

[Sorry; I removed the image of the photos spread out on display as they are not mine to reproduce... ]

They do look cool all laid out though.

Colin Robertson
1-May-2014, 02:14
Here's mine.114675

scheinfluger_77
6-Dec-2014, 13:33
Well, Mr. Moe, If you are doing one for 2015 count me in.
Steve Giesel

Tin Can
6-Dec-2014, 13:44
At this moment I am not planning another one.

If I do it will be in a new thread, in the New Year.

Any one may start their own at anytime.

Let's consider this thread closed. :)