PDA

View Full Version : Paper for 4x5 contact printing

ryanmills
2-Jan-2014, 13:01
Does not seem like there are any options for 4x5 contact printing papers, at first I thought maybe I could just get 8x10 and cut it to fit. But would that ruin the paper? Secondly I have a paper cutter but lining that up in the dark, not sure how that's going to work. Thoughts?

Jim Noel
2-Jan-2014, 13:28
YOu wan't hurt the aper by cutting it. Do so under an appropriate safe light and you should have no problem with the paper cutter.

ryanmills
2-Jan-2014, 14:01
I guess thats the best choice then.

Jim C.
2-Jan-2014, 14:21
You can use painters tape as a stop edge to get repeated cuts, measure from the cutting edge for length
mark with a strip of tape, and width then you can butt the edge of the paper to the tape and cut.
I do this to cut paper to size to use as paper negs.

dave_whatever
2-Jan-2014, 15:02
I've been contact printing 5x4" film onto 5x7" paper. Its readily available and having a bit of space around the image means you don't have to worry about getting fingerprints or marks on it, and should make mounting easier.

gleaf
2-Jan-2014, 15:17
The old Premier (green monster) paper cutters had 1/2 inch grid marked into the surface. But we cheated even that for speed and taped a strip of shirt cardboard at each desired dimension. All by feel in full dark. Let us buy nothing but 8 x 10 for that and everything smaller.

Martin Dake
2-Jan-2014, 16:26
Ilford does have 4x5 paper but I think I have only ever seen it in 1000 sheet boxes...
http://www.calumetphoto.com/product/ilford-multigrade-iv-rc-deluxe-4x5-glossy-mgd.1m-1000-sheets/IL60100/

Other than that UltraFineOnline has 4x5 paper.

C_Remington
2-Jan-2014, 19:06
You can use any paper type for contact printing. I don't really think there is anything called contact printing paper.

Tin Can
2-Jan-2014, 19:33
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/428254-Foma-Fomalux-312-Resin-Coated-Grade-2-(Contact-Speed)-5x7-100-sheets

I use it and find it fun and affordable.

Does not seem like there are any options for 4x5 contact printing papers, at first I thought maybe I could just get 8x10 and cut it to fit. But would that ruin the paper? Secondly I have a paper cutter but lining that up in the dark, not sure how that's going to work. Thoughts?

DannL
2-Jan-2014, 21:42
I also cut paper regularly, 8x10 to 4x5, with a Premier guillotine paper cutter. It's a smaller version and measures 13"x13". It has a aluminum adjustable guide. And since you can cut many photographic papers, x-ray film, some hand-coated papers, etc, under a safe-light; then you really don't have to worry about loosing that occasional finger. Of course cutting regular sheet film in the dark is much more exciting.

Michael Cienfuegos
3-Jan-2014, 11:33
I also cut paper regularly, 8x10 to 4x5, with a Premier guillotine paper cutter. It's a smaller version and measures 13"x13". It has a aluminum adjustable guide. And since you can cut many photographic papers, x-ray film, some hand-coated papers, etc, under a safe-light; then you really don't have to worry about loosing that occasional finger. Of course cutting regular sheet film in the dark is much more exciting.

I DON"T have any occasional fingers. I need them all. :(