PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika 4x5

benoit68
1-Jan-2014, 18:06
Hi,
I just discover this forum, while I was searching informations about the linhof large format camera.
I'm photographer in France, I would like to buy a folding camera, to travel with, for portraits and landscapes.
I find this Linhof Technika camera.
For 1500€ (about 2000 $US), I have :
- Linhof Technika 4x5 (good conditions of use)
+ 10 film 4x5 holder
+ 3 lenses :
- Shneider-Freuznach Synmar 1:5,6/150 mm
- Shneider-Freuznach Super-Angulon 1:8/75
- Shneider-Freuznach Componon 1:5,6/135
+ accessories (filters, ...)

What do you think about this ?
The price is good ?
What are the things I have to check before buying the camera ?

Another question : I would like to make polaroid with, in 4x5 inch, in color.
I would like to use fuji film FP100C 45.
To be able to make photos like this : http://www.polaroid-passion.com/galerie/diane_v/index.php?id=59506&from=g
What type of polaroid back should I buy ? The 550 back ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

Benoit

Daniel Stone
1-Jan-2014, 18:19
Hello Benoit,

Just a note on 4x5 Fuji/Polaroid films:
FP100C45 has been officially discontinued, so if you're planning to use it, you'll be working with (limited, and growing in rareity) remaining stock.
*The correct film back for use with FP100C-45 is the Polaroid 550, or the Fuji PA-45.

FP100C(3.25x4.25 size) is still available, and should be available for a while(hopefully!).
*The film back for use with the smaller packs is the Polaroid 405, or the Fuji PA-145. These backs work with regular 4x5 cameras, HOWEVER, they REQUIRE that the back be able to expand enough to fit them(they're approx 1.25" thick), or remove the ground glass assembly altogether and use the graflok locking tabs to hold the back during exposure.

have fun, and welcome to the fun(and sometimes wacky) world of LF photography :)

-Dan

Corran
1-Jan-2014, 18:36
That's a Technika V. I would say the price is not great - it's probably worth more like $1500-$1750 right now. Things to check - find out if the lenses have cams to go with them, so that you can shoot it handheld. Even if you don't care to do that, it's a valuable thing to have and would make the set command a higher price. Second would be to check for pinholes in the bellows.

Now if you really don't care to shoot handheld, or focus with the RF at all, I'd suggest you skip the Technika completely. A good field camera can be under $1,000, and a decent Crown Graphic about 1/3 of that. The Tech is a fabulous camera, which is why I own two, but it's a little heavy for backpacking and landscape work, if that is your focus. But it's versatile. I like that I can shoot instant film handheld and then pop it on a tripod and shoot architecture with it. YMMV, so good luck.

Thomas Greutmann
2-Jan-2014, 12:53
The price seems a little high but not much. If the camera, the lenses and the film holder are all in good working order and well maintained then I would say the price is fair.

It is certainly a rather complete starter kit. Just add a tripod, a lightmeter, a darkcloth and film, and you are ready to go. I agree with Corran that there are cheaper ways to start with Large Format, but it is a starter kit that will also serve you very well on the long term.

Greetings, Thomas

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jan-2014, 14:04
In addition to the issues mentioned, the accessory shoe is missing.

benoit68
2-Jan-2014, 14:26
Ok, thank you for your help and answers.

>Dan, is there a difference between the Polaroid 550, and the Fuji PA-45 film back ? Which one do you advise me to buy for the Technika V ?

> Corran, you say "find out if the lenses have cams to go with them". What is a cam ? (sorry for my english...)
I find this on Ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/LINHOF-RANGEFINDER-CAM-STEUERKURVE-240mm-2-13K-/251258660259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3a802ee5a3
It is that ? What is the use of it ?
I ask if the belows had pinholes, and it isn't, it's clean.
I want definitively a linhof camera ! In the past I have the occasion to use a Sinar P2, and I don't want to be limited in the movements, and it's a camera that I will keep, not like my Nikon D4 !

>Jac : Thank you ! I don't see that ! I will ask to the seller why it's missing...

>

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2014, 15:00
>Jac : Thank you ! I don't see that ! I will ask to the seller why it's missing...>

Do be aware, the serial number is stamped on the accessory shoe so, as the Linhof distributor, the first thing that we would think of a missing shoe is that it is a stolen camera. So do ask a lot of questions of the seller.

benoit68
2-Jan-2014, 15:24
Ok Bob, that is a very important point. :/
Is it possible to remove it with a screw, or it has necessary been pull out ?

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2014, 16:13

It is designed to be removed. By removing it you expose another tripod socket so the camera can be mounted to a tripod upside down. That is a feature on the V and the Master Technika cameras.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jan-2014, 16:32

Yes, it is to be removed using a common Alan-head device which is typically priced at less than $1 US.

Corran
2-Jan-2014, 16:36
> Corran, you say "find out if the lenses have cams to go with them". What is a cam ? (sorry for my english...)
I find this on Ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/LINHOF-RANGEFINDER-CAM-STEUERKURVE-240mm-2-13K-/251258660259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3a802ee5a3
It is that ? What is the use of it ?

Yes that is a cam. However, they are made for an exact lens, not just any 150mm or 240mm or whatever lens. So if the camera has the correct and original cams to go with those lenses, that is a good selling point. And in my opinion the #1 reason to go Linhof - to have the ability to shoot handheld with perfect RF focusing with more than one lens.

Bob Salomon
2-Jan-2014, 17:23
Yes, it is to be removed using a common Alan-head device which is typically priced at less than $1 US.

Some use the allen key. Most just have a large diameter head knob under the inside of the body housing.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jan-2014, 17:33
Some use the allen key. Most just have a large diameter head knob under the inside of the body housing.

Thank your for that, Bob!

benoit68
4-Jan-2014, 10:14
Corran : ok, thank you for that. Where the cam should be fix on the camera ? I have to try to describe this to the seller in french !

The seller tell me that the accessory shoe was removed, but he has it (see photos), and send me more photos of the camera.
Serial number is : 2141858

Is there something else I have to check ?

Bob Salomon
4-Jan-2014, 10:40
Corran : ok, thank you for that. Where the cam should be fix on the camera ? I have to try to describe this to the seller in french !

The seller tell me that the accessory shoe was removed, but he has it (see photos), and send me more photos of the camera.
Serial number is : 2141858

Is there something else I have to check ?

That would make it a 1968 Super Technika V. The cam is located beneath the focusing tracks in a small, hinged holder that it pushes into. The holder is the inside of the camera housing. The cam will be stamped with the focal length of the lens it is made for as well as that len's serial number. If the numbers don't match the focusing will be off. New cams can be cut by Linhof or most of their service centers.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jan-2014, 10:56
Benoit, please consider getting the instruction manual from here:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/linhof/linhof_super_technika_v/super_technika_v.htm

And please support Mr. Butkus with a small donation.

Be happy

benoit68
5-Jan-2014, 19:47
Ok, so if i understand, cams are this things ? Each lens has his own cam, that's it ?

Jac, thank you for the link !

Peter Collins
5-Jan-2014, 20:14
Benoit,
Bienvenue à Large Format Photography Forum. Chez nous, il y a beaucoup d'amis qui vous aiderent. Et bonne chance avec l'appareil Linhof!

MortenDK
5-Jan-2014, 23:37
Cam is the piece below the lens with the red engraving -focal length and a serial number of the lens matching the cam.
The arrows point to the focusing scales, which are just for rough indexing.
On the sliding board to the left of the arrows you have the infinity stops for the different lenses. A small tab can be raised to stop the front when pulling out the front standard.

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2014, 03:33
Ok, so if i understand, cams are this things ? Each lens has his own cam, that's it ?

Those are where the focusing scales mount. That angled metal plate in the background of this picture is the cam.

tangyimail
6-Jan-2014, 05:07
Looks like a nice kit!

Cor
6-Jan-2014, 09:00
Hi Benoit

be aware that:

The Compon lens most likely an enlarger lens is
The lenses look like they are the older versions (chrome ring) and most likely are single coated; that may or may not be important to you.
The shutters look like the older range of times: 1 1/2 1/5 1/10 1/25 etc. that may or may not be important to you.
The bellows look less than "fresh"
I think it's not really a deal, but OTOH getting this stuff here in Europe is more costly that in the USA, perhaps if you are patient ? (A new good or even new Chamonix can be bought for much less)

good luck,

Cor

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2014, 10:02

Yes, each lens that has been properly cammed has its own cam, its own focusing scale and its own pair of infinity stops. That piece that the focusing scales are on is the Focusing Scale Stage. The Focusing Scale Stage holds 3 focusing scales. If you have more then 3 lenses then you can get extra Focusing Scale Stages.

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2014, 10:04
Hi Benoit

be aware that:

The Compon lens most likely an enlarger lens is
The lenses look like they are the older versions (chrome ring) and most likely are single coated; that may or may not be important to you.
The shutters look like the older range of times: 1 1/2 1/5 1/10 1/25 etc. that may or may not be important to you.
The bellows look less than "fresh"
I think it's not really a deal, but OTOH getting this stuff here in Europe is more costly that in the USA, perhaps if you are patient ? (A new good or even new Chamonix can be bought for much less)

good luck,

Cor

The Componon is an enlarging lens.

benoit68
7-Jan-2014, 21:09
Thank you all !
Cor : I think that i will wait for a better offer, I ask the seller a discount... but he refused !
You tell me about Chmonix camera. Which model do you advise me ?
Here in France, I can find Chamonix, Shen Hao and Toyo, and sometimes Crown Graphic...

Cor
8-Jan-2014, 05:42
Hi Benoit,

I would go for a 45N2

See http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

Consensus seems overwhelming positive on that camera, it's a tempting object, but I resist..I have a working set-up (Linhof Color) and doubt if my images would improve by upgrading. I would not turn down a second hand 45N1 (there was a problem with the fresnel, search the form). You see them for sale regularly, but mostly in the USA which for us Europeans is not that interesting any more due to high shipping rates and customs.

Good luck!

Cor

Thank you all !
Cor : I think that i will wait for a better offer, I ask the seller a discount... but he refused !
You tell me about Chmonix camera. Which model do you advise me ?
Here in France, I can find Chamonix, Shen Hao and Toyo, and sometimes Crown Graphic...

Michael Lloyd
8-Jan-2014, 17:12
I love the Chamonix 45N2. If I didn't already have a Sinar F2 I would have one. They are light weight and easy to set up. I'm certainly no expert but for the money the Chamonix seems like a good way to go.

benoit68
5-Feb-2014, 07:23
Finally I decided to buy a Linhof Technika !
The one I show you, is now for 1100€ (about 1500$) with all the lens and accessories... http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?109723-Linhof-Technika-4x5
OR
I found a second one :
The price is 1400€ for the moment, I think I can have it for 1200€ (1600$)

MASTER TECHNIKA 4x5 inches N°78473
Lenses :
- Schneider Super-Angulon 1:8/90 N°7989733 with cam
- Schneider Symmar 1:5,6/150 N°8000401 with cam
- Schneider Tele-Arton 1:5,5/270 N°9774437 with cam
- Schneider Tele-Arton 1:5,5/360 N°8499561 no cam

Here is the other photos I get from the seller : http://flic.kr/s/aHsjRPYE1B
We can see that the wood of the groud glass is broken...

>> Is it possible to know how old is the camera ?

>> In your opinion, what is the best offer ?

Thank you for your help !

Corran
5-Feb-2014, 07:40
That's not a Master Technika. It looks like a IV, but may be a V. The V has a lever for front rise rather than a knob. If it's a IV with those lenses though it's about right.

Bob Salomon
5-Feb-2014, 08:22
That is not a Master Technika, it is a 1960 Super Technika IV. The Master replaced the Super Technika V. The V replaced the IV in 1963.

Finally I decided to buy a Linhof Technika !
The one I show you, is now for 1100€ (about 1500$) with all the lens and accessories... http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?109723-Linhof-Technika-4x5
OR
I found a second one :
The price is 1400€ for the moment, I think I can have it for 1200€ (1600$)

MASTER TECHNIKA 4x5 inches N°78473
Lenses :
- Schneider Super-Angulon 1:8/90 N°7989733 with cam
- Schneider Symmar 1:5,6/150 N°8000401 with cam
- Schneider Tele-Arton 1:5,5/270 N°9774437 with cam
- Schneider Tele-Arton 1:5,5/360 N°8499561 no cam

Here is the other photos I get from the seller : http://flic.kr/s/aHsjRPYE1B
We can see that the wood of the groud glass is broken...

>> Is it possible to know how old is the camera ?

>> In your opinion, what is the best offer ?

Thank you for your help !

benoit68
5-Feb-2014, 11:15
Ok thank you Bob !

So the first camera is more interesting I guess http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?109723-Linhof-Technika-4x5

For 1100€ (about 1500 $US) :
1968 Super Technika V 4x5 (good conditions of use)
+ 10 film 4x5 holder
+ 3 lenses, no cams :(
- Shneider-Freuznach Synmar 1:5,6/150 mm
- Shneider-Freuznach Super-Angulon 1:8/75
- Shneider-Freuznach Componon 1:5,6/135 (enlarger lens)
+ accessories (filters, ...)

What do you think about that ?

Corran
5-Feb-2014, 11:44
In my opinion $1500 would be close to "top-dollar" for that kit since it doesn't have the cams. If everything is mint and you really want it, go for it. What do you want from us?

Personally I wouldn't spend that much for that.

Bill_1856
5-Feb-2014, 18:11
Plan to add $400+ for a new bellows, unless it's less than 2 years since it was replaced.