PDA

View Full Version : Jobo Expert drum question

Donald Hutton
2-Sep-2004, 21:33
I have been processing my 4X5 E6 and B&W film on a Jobo in the 2509n reels and I have been very satisfied with the results. So I'm not really sure why, but I have purchased a 3010 expert drum to see if things get any better... Can I perform washing inside the drum on my processor (as I do with the 2500 series tank and 2509n reel) or do I need to get a separate film washer?

Bobby Sandstrom
2-Sep-2004, 22:43
Donald, you can wash the film in the drum. Do so for 10 min and empty every 30 seconds. One caveat: Don't put any fotoFlo type material in the drum. Take the film out and do that in a separate container. Also, be sure you have the proper amount of working solution to cover the amount of sheets you have. It holds ten sheets but with some deveoper/dilution combos, you can't use all 10 slots as the film will not develop properly.

good luck

bob

Donald Hutton
2-Sep-2004, 22:58
Many thanks...

Andre Noble
2-Sep-2004, 23:20
If you are going for true archival on the B&W , need to do wash outside the Expert drum - although I admit, I don't - because of reduced washing on the side that's in constant contact with the tube's surface.

Ken Lee
3-Sep-2004, 05:31
See this thread (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499039.html#520579" target="_blank). There is a photo and discussion of a Jobo product called Cascade, which fits over the top of the drum, and lets you wash the film directly from the water outlet.

David L.
3-Sep-2004, 08:40
The cascade washer Ken refers to will NOT work with the 3010 or any of the 3000 series drums. As Bobby correctly pointed out – do not use photo-flo (or the Final Rinse if you use Kodak’s e-6 Kit) in the drum. Yes, you can wash inside the drum. It’s not terribly efficient though for B&W, especially if you are using TMAX, which needs a hell of a lot of washing. In my process, after about a 4 minute final wash in Hypo-Clear, I transfer my TMAX films to a print washer for another 20 minutes. Washing E-6 in the drum is not a problem.