PDA

View Full Version : film box - another use..

jp
27-Dec-2013, 18:27
Some of you may reel at the thought of electronics in the darkroom but I have to have my cell phone handy. Not that I'm going to use it...

I've always wondered how to guarantee to keep it dark (but on) while loading film, unloading film, tray devloping, etc...

It fits in a 4x5 film box perfectly. It's audible, but the box keeps it dark, way better than a pants pocket.

Andrew O'Neill
27-Dec-2013, 18:30
If your cel goes off in the box whilst loading film, you can't answer it anyway, so what's the point?

Heroique
27-Dec-2013, 18:32
The cell phone fits in a 4x5 film box perfectly. It's audible, but the box keeps it dark...

Interesting, and profoundly ironic – a 4x5 film box that keeps the light in, not out!

If your cel goes off in the box whilst loading film, you can't answer it anyway, so what's the point?

You may not be able to answer it right away, but you still get to hear the Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" ring tone. Perfect soundtrack for darkroom agitation.

Hmm, a film box for sound, not images. Did I already say ironic?

Vaughn
27-Dec-2013, 20:04
Another use...I kept a spare 4x5 GG in a 4x5 film box when I traveled for 6 months (on bicycle mostly) in New Zealand. The GG is like our collar bones -- one of the most likely things to be broken. I did not want to be caught out without a GG!

Cletus
27-Dec-2013, 20:10
"The GG is like our collar bones -- one of the most likely things to be broken."

Yeah, and will end your whole photo trip too, if you don't have a spare! I keep mine in a 4x5 box too. Good idea.

jp
27-Dec-2013, 20:15
Storing a groundglass is an excellent idea.

I don't take phone calls in the darkroom. I get txts & I can deal with them when the lights come on, but I have to know they are being received.

Vaughn
27-Dec-2013, 20:29
"The GG is like our collar bones -- one of the most likely things to be broken."

Yeah, and will end your whole photo trip too, if you don't have a spare! I keep mine in a 4x5 box too. Good idea.

I did not take a second lens, but carried a pinhole on a matboard lensboard 'just in case'. I figured it was a once-in-a-lifetime phototrip. I also carried a 'portfolio' of 4x5 contact prints in another 4x5 film box to share with others on my trip. When I spent a week in the rain with the flu on the northern west coast of the South Island, I reviewed my own work to pass the time (it was a solo-trio).

Racer X 69
27-Dec-2013, 21:13
I don't take phone calls in the darkroom. I get txts & I can deal with them when the lights come on, but I have to know they are being received.

Forgive me if I don't share the enthusiasm about your innovative ways to "stay connected".

*sigh*

How did we ever get along when the telephone was hard wired to a little box along the baseboard in the living room? When we moved to a new home the telco lineman had to come out and "install" the phone (why is beyond me, it is only 2 wires!). Many people had to share a line, i.e. the "party line". Sometimes when you wanted to make a call you would pick up the receiver and Joyce down the street would be yapping away with Mabel. When the phone rang it was two short rings and a pause for the neighbor, a long and a short ring then a pause for another neighbor, and a long ring for our phone. And when we did take a call it was to coordinate a face to face get together with another person to communicate via the spoken word.

Dad didn't like anyone tying up the line for more than a few minutes.

And don't even think of dialing a long distance call.

It has been less than 10 years that I have had a cell phone, and today I still only have a simple phone that sends and receives phone calls.

No e-mail.

No text messaging.

No internet.

Just phone calls.

Nothing more.

The ground glass idea is nice though. Excellent idea.

And also a nice place to keep extra lens boards too.

Andrew O'Neill
28-Dec-2013, 00:33
I brought my cel phone into the darkroom once. Stuck it in a drawer. It chimed every time I got a text. Drove me nuts, because I wanted so badly to look at it. Took my mind off of what I was doing. After that, I never bring it in there with me. Love that damn little gizmo, though...

Steve Sherman
28-Dec-2013, 07:51
Interesting, and profoundly ironic – a 4x5 film box that keeps the light in, not out.

That's funny

Michael Cienfuegos
28-Dec-2013, 13:56
I hate mine.:mad: Can't even use the head without the damned thing ringing. :(

Jac@stafford.net
28-Dec-2013, 14:23
Kodak used to ship 8x10 ground glass in packs of 12. This was before our overly pessimistic expectations of handling. I still have two of the same in the shop.

The recommendation to keep a spare or two is right-on.

jvo
30-Dec-2013, 15:14
go retro, man!

get a landline, old fashioned phone and you can call all you want AND develop prints and film! or ignore it. it works!

"the 20th century, why change!":cool:

jvo

Tin Can
30-Dec-2013, 17:43
I prefer a landline and old wall phones, but ATT cannot keep one working any longer. I just had to shut mine off as it was always 'off line'. Seems they also cut DSL service late at night for 'repairs'.

Screw it, when the big one comes, I'll just stay on the floor.

go retro, man!

get a landline, old fashioned phone and you can call all you want AND develop prints and film! or ignore it. it works!

"the 20th century, why change!":cool:

jvo