PDA

View Full Version : compendium shade options for Deardorff V8

rich caramadre
24-Dec-2013, 09:48
Anyone use a compendium on their V8? I'm wondering how to attach one. I use the lensboard rise feature often which may get in the way. Any opinons would be helpful.

Jac@stafford.net
24-Dec-2013, 11:40
Len Middleton has dealt with this issue. Perhaps he can help here.

I am certain I could adapt one or make one in a few hours. My preferred approach would be to use (or make) an extended lens board (a reversed recessed board) and add to the top a Linhof compendium attachment at the proper height. However it might not suffice for particularly large lenses.

A second approach would not require an extended board, but overall it is more complex. It would use two to four tee-nuts countersunk into the back of the existing rise board. Being countersunk would obviate binding when raising. Since this approach requires more expensive parts and fabrication I will describe if one is interested.

Len Middleton
24-Dec-2013, 16:03
Rich,

See the images from earlier...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?330-Compendium-for-8x10-Deardorff&highlight=deardorff+hood

rich caramadre
24-Dec-2013, 19:13
Len, For some reason the photos will not open.
Rich

Jac@stafford.net
25-Dec-2013, 08:17
Len, For some reason the photos will not open.
Rich

Try this link: http://wfwhitaker.com/V8_Verito.jpg

(Thanks, Len.)

Len Middleton
25-Dec-2013, 08:55
Try again...

Bracket:

Long:

And short:

Using a Toyo compendium hood. Looking to adding a 4x5 mask to the front for more light control via velcro to allow changing between portrait and landscape orieintation.

Len Middleton
25-Dec-2013, 09:09
The bracket is a slip-on and thus will ride up when the vertical rise feature is used.

The sides of the bracket are short enough not to interfere with the vertical rise locking knob or the brackets supporting the front standard, and rotates with the front standard.

neil poulsen
25-Dec-2013, 17:28
I've kept my filter sizes on lenses to 77mm and can use a Lee compendium bellows system.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Dec-2013, 08:28
With respect, that approach is more complex than necessary.
An extended lensboard with a Linhof type mount is simple.
Perhaps I owe it to you to make one and post photos.

Len Middleton
29-Dec-2013, 11:47
With respect, that approach is more complex than necessary.
An extended lensboard with a Linhof type mount is simple.
Perhaps I owe it to you to make one and post photos.

Jac,

No offense taken, as I expect none was intended.

I imposed the design constraints on the fellow doing the work, and that was the result he came up with. The constraints included not modifying the camera, that it would accommodate the vertical rise, accommodate not just the range of lenses (159mm to 600mm), but also the presence and absence of the Deardorff shutter box. And I had the Toyo compendium hood to use.

My earlier thoughts included using my Linhof compendium hood with the offset in it and somehow mount it on top and bend the rod connecting the hood to the camera to take into account the difference in offset between the top of a Linhof and the resulting location on the Deardorff.

Always multiple solutions depending upon the skills, materials, and tools available, and of course the ingenuity of those applying them...

Interested in seeing other solutions, as looking to do something for the front of my Korona Panoramic View 8x20 camera.