PDA

View Full Version : How much play on the focus track?

mihag
24-Dec-2013, 04:22
I wonder how much play (if any) is normal on the focusing knob on a brand-new Linhof Kardan re camera? Linhof state that their Kardan re uses new play-free solid brass micro drive for extremely smooth focusing of the camera on the monorail: http://www.linhof.com/kardan-e.html
I feel some play while focusing and fear it will get worse with use.

Bob Salomon
24-Dec-2013, 04:37
On the left side of the focus block are some small allen screws. These allen screws adjust the tension of the brass plate in the focus drive against the rail. You adjust these by making very small turns with the small allen key that is suppied with all new Linkof Kardan cameras. The instructions are included with the camera.
The camera should be properly adjusted out of the box but anything is possible.

mihag
24-Dec-2013, 04:48
It doesn't work. The allen screw stiffens the the drive but the play on the focusing knob remains. Even when the focus is blocked with the smaller knob, the focusing knob still feels a bit loose - it can be turned for 0,5 mm each way freely.

Bob Salomon
24-Dec-2013, 04:52
Without seeing your camera I can't tell you if the "play" in the knob is normal or not. Are you anywhere near a Linhof service center or importer/distributor? If so then let them see it.

mihag
24-Dec-2013, 04:57
Yes I am, but it will have to wait over the holidays. I fear our distributor will only try to send the camera back to Germany. The camera is perfectly functional as it is although the focusing isn't extremely smooth because of the play in the knob.
Thank you.

mihag
10-Jan-2014, 07:56
I have send two short videos showing the problem to Linhof, including the describtion of one of the front standard knobs that has a hard time braking the vertical shift. I'll report back as soon as I get their reply.

Rollinhofuji
10-Jan-2014, 08:55
Keep us updated, mihag - anyway, luckily their service is usually very fast in Europe. Perhaps you might give them a call and check if it is OK to send them the camera directly for repair?

Regards,
Jan

mihag
17-Jan-2014, 10:30
A week has passed and I got no reply to my email.

Rollinhofuji
18-Jan-2014, 02:14
Mihag, I highly suggest to give them a call.
Linhof sometimes seems quite busy, but they were always helpful when I called them. Email is, unfortunately, still not regarded as an important medium of communication in many of these old companies (e.g. Gossen). I often made this experience.
You will most likely get Mr. Biel on the phone - he is a very nice guy and will definitely be able to help you.

mihag
18-Jan-2014, 02:54
Hi Jan, my experinece with Linhof is positive. I've been on the phone with Mr. Weigand (I don't know his position) before and he was extremely nice to talk to - to the level my German permits. I'll give them a ring on monday.

Cheers,
Miha

Rollinhofuji
18-Jan-2014, 05:14
Hi Miha,

ok, understand :-) I guess they first try to get the dealer who sold the camera to talk to the customer. Sometimes this takes too much time imho.
Funnily, I never got a reply by mail from them, too - instead I received an envelope with the parts I needed without any charges.

Cheers, Jan

mihag
27-Jan-2014, 11:37
I've been on the phone with two gentlemen form Linhof. The camera is on its way to Munich. So far, so good.

mihag
7-Feb-2014, 02:45
So to wrap up this whole discussion I must report back that the camera arrived this morning in impeccable condition, everything that bothered me has been refined to perfection. The gentleman that I spoke to (Mr Geiger) explained me in detail what work has been done to the camera. I have nothing but high praises for the service. Fast and efficient.

Rollinhofuji
8-Feb-2014, 05:03
Thanks for keeping us updated Miha.
I also dealt with Mr Geiger last month. My Master Technika 3000 had some minor issues, which were all solved to perfection.
Nobody´s perfect, but Linhof definitely listens to customer´s problems and the people there give their best to solve them.

mihag
8-Feb-2014, 11:35
Hallo Jan, I have heard nothing but good things about the Linhof company in the past, still I was pleasantly surprised by their attitude myself.