PDA

View Full Version : Sup Graphic graphic question

stradibarrius
20-Dec-2013, 19:23
does the Super Graphic need a battery to be used like a normal 4x5...focusing on the ground glass and using a cable release attached to the lens?

dsphotog
20-Dec-2013, 19:27
No battery required if using standard cable release, the batt powers the solenoid shutter release.

stradibarrius
21-Dec-2013, 06:04
thanks

BrianShaw
21-Dec-2013, 10:18
... but if you have batteries and it is all connected, the electric release makes the SuperGraphic a real dream to use handheld!

stradibarrius
21-Dec-2013, 11:32
What lensboards work with the Super???

Kuzano
21-Dec-2013, 11:42
Standard graflex lens boards work.... They are metal. They have the nubs on the sides to engage the dogs that come out from the side of the front standard.

In the event you can or do want to use the internal battery, foil wires woven into the pleats of the bellows, red button, and front solenoid to actuate the stock shutter, There is also a special Super lens board which is two layers with internal rods to actuate the front shutter release. The movement is internal from the small chrome hook you see at the bottom of the opening on the front standard, and is internal to where the moving shutter release on front of the board hooks into it. These boards are often found on eBay at $50 to $75.

The standard lens board is the same height and dimension as the special Super Graphic board, and is one layer of metal, again with those nubs for tight fit.

You should also be able to source standard Crown, or other lens boards from a number of sources. I find them often on eBay. You may find them in the classifieds here.

csxcnj
21-Dec-2013, 11:48
What lensboards work with the Super???

If your getting any kind of Graflex here's your reading:

http://www.graflex.org/

http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/

http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/index.html

IanG
21-Dec-2013, 13:50
Standard graflex lens boards work.... They are metal. They have the nubs on the sides to engage the dogs that come out from the side of the front standard.

Pacemaker lens boards only have the nubs on the top & bottom, Super Graphic boards have nubs on the sides as well, you need to add something for the dogs to fit tight against, I glued some rubber strip to the relevant areas to make mine fit tight.

Ian

stradibarrius
24-Dec-2013, 06:41
I bought a super graphic from KEH and thought I would give it a try. If I like a
"folding" camera then I may go for a nice wooden field. Then again if I find the Super does what I want I may just stick with it...

IanG
24-Dec-2013, 07:03
I've been using a Wista 45DX since 1986 no complaints, however I bought a Super Graphic 4 years ago and it's a great camera I can use it hand held and plenty of movements, have fun.

Ian

Jim Andrada
24-Dec-2013, 16:12
Love my Super for travel. And I do use it handheld with a Grafmatic magazine. I usually take the regular GG assembly off to save weight and just lovk the Grafmatic in place. I find it best to lock it in even with the gg in place as all the pushing and pulling sometimes partially sips the magazine out if it's only held by spring pressure.

stradibarrius
25-Dec-2013, 07:51
My BGN grade Super fom KEH arrived sooner than I thought and everything seems to be in pretty good shape/1 I noticed that the front standard can tighthen down with a bit of swing in place. Very small but it doesn't seem to line up square on it's own. I have to move it just a bit to get it back to square. Is this normal/typical of the super or of field cameras in general? I have a fair amount of experience with monorails but this is my first time with a "field" or "folding" camera.

Merry Christmas to all my LF friends.

Jon Shiu
25-Dec-2013, 09:07
From memory, the spring loaded silver release tab in the middle holds the front swing in the zero position.

Jon

stradibarrius
26-Dec-2013, 05:47
Yeah I found that release for the swing. I am asking if the entire front movement unit is a bit sloppy in the track. When you tighten the arm for the front movement it may not be square. I hope the question makes sense. I am asking if this is norrmal for a Super Graphic or is there an adjustment hidden somewhere that will improve the alignment?

BrianShaw
26-Dec-2013, 06:23
If I understand correctly.... the entire front standard can be tightened on the track by loosening the track screws, moving the track further inward (toward the front standard), and re-tightening the track screws.

Jon Shiu
26-Dec-2013, 09:23
If no swing is wanted, the front standard should be against a pair of infinity stops. You can have more than one set installed, since they fold down.

Jon

BrianShaw
26-Dec-2013, 10:26
... infinity stops...

Good point! I'm embarrassed to say that I take infinity stops so much for granted that I forgot to mention them myself. :o

But now I'm having brain fade and can't get to my SuperG. Can't you swing even when firmly against infinity stops? I seem to recall that being possible (if not desirable).

csxcnj
26-Dec-2013, 11:07
Good point! I'm embarrassed to say that I take infinity stops so much for granted that I forgot to mention them myself. :o

But now I'm having brain fade and can't get to my SuperG. Can't you swing even when firmly against infinity stops? I seem to recall that being possible (if not desirable).

No you can't. You can only swing back towards the body when the infinity stops are engaged if you are focused at infinity.

BrianShaw
26-Dec-2013, 11:12
Thanks. I knew my memory was faded but didn't know how faded it has become. I need to use that camera more!

KidDoc
26-Dec-2013, 20:00
This my first time too post, I have the SuperSpeed, shutter to 1/1000. When un-locked, there is a lot of play in the swing, but once the locking lever is pushed to one side or the other, it all tightens up. So when I am looking through the glass, by unlocking I can fine tweak the lens position before final lock down.