PDA

View Full Version : Any Aussie LF workers out there??

Cameron Attree
30-Aug-2004, 04:07
Hi guys and girls. I'm a new LF worker having only purchased my first camera (Shen-Hao) a couple of months ago. I've been going through all the posts on this forum and have found a wealth of knowledge which I am very greatfull for. There appears to be a huge amount of US photographers contributing and I have been feasting my eyes on some magnificant websites but as yet haven't seen too many Australian photographers (only name I recognize is Walter Glover). Just wondering how many of you are out there and I would love to see some images from fellow Aussies. So if you feel like saying G'Day and posting a link to your website, I would love to see your stuff. Cheers, Cam.

enrico scotece
30-Aug-2004, 04:46
Hi Cameron, welcome to LF!

I remember posting a similar question about a year ago on the net and I was surprised how many replies I had recieved. Maybe youre thinking the same thing I was - there has to be someone else around this part of town.

Always good to meet a Photographer from your own neck of the woods eh... I dont have any work posted on a website but im sure some do.

Where abouts in Australia are you?

Mike Lyons
30-Aug-2004, 08:00
Cameron, "g'day mate"! There's a few LF Aussies out there, City and "beyond the black stump" based. I haven't got a web site and don't even own a scanner, but if you ever get to the South of W.A ( Western Australia, for any foreigners reading ) I'll show you a few good locations if you like landscapes and seascapes. Where are you based? Mike

Andrew O'Neill
30-Aug-2004, 11:56
Hi ya Cameron, "How's it going, eh! As a fellow "Common Wealther", welcome to the world of LF! Like you Aussies, there is a very small group of us Canucks spread across the Great White North. If I come down there can you show me some sites?....and versa visa of course!

Cheers!

Cameron Attree
30-Aug-2004, 15:30
Thanks for the welcome guys. Mike and Enrico, to answer your question, I am based in Brisbane, Queensland. I will definitely take you up on your offer if I get down to the south of WA Mike. Andrew, I would love to show you around my neck of the woods if you ever come down this way and I would LOVE to get to Canada sometime. For those of you interested in seeing some of my images please check out my website. The site has a variety of images, mainly wildlife and landscape. My decision to go LF was made by my not being happy with the quality of landscape images I was getting from either 35mm or even the panoramic images I was creating with a Hasselblad X-Pan. As yet there are no LF images on there - haven't taken enough yet. I'm planning on doing a complete re-design of my site when I have more LF landscapes to show. Cheers, Cam. http://www.wildfirephotos.com.au

David Flockhart
30-Aug-2004, 16:27
Hi and welcome. I'm in the Melbourne area (Olinda in the Dandenongs) and shoot mostly ULF.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Aug-2004, 23:03
Hey Cam,

Checked out your website. Really nice work! Will you be doing mainly colour LF? Which part of Africa were those desert photos taken? Is that the south west coast? What was it like photographing in Africa? Any problems? That's one place I'd love to go to. I was in Brisbane in '99 for my friends wedding. He's up in Cairns. Went up and down east coast and even made it to Uluru. I got some real treasures with my LF camera when I was in Australia. Can't wait to go back....

Graeme Hird
31-Aug-2004, 02:27
Maaaaaaate ......

Welcome to LF.

On your way through to see Mike in Albany, drop into Kalgoorlie and see me too. It's only a small detour of 1600km or so if you're driving across the Nullabor. Check out what's here before you come on the web site - www.scenebyhird.com.

How do you like the Shen Hao?

Cheers,

Cameron Attree
31-Aug-2004, 04:50
Hi again, Andrew, sounds like you seen a bit more of Oz than I have, I'm yet to make it to the Red Centre. The desert shots in Africa were taken in Namibia (Namib Desert), a totally amazing place. I would love to head back there with a 4x5. Some of the sand dunes are 300m high! I didn't have any problems photographing while I was there as I went with a photo tour so everything was organised really well. Mike....Maaaaaate! Kalgoorlie sounds like a happening place and looking at the pics on your site would be well worth the detour. Loved the lightning shots. You could give Peter Jarver a run for his money with some of those shots. Shame we won't see any new shots from Peter due to his passing away a little while ago. For those of you not familiar with Peter's work take a look at his site. http://www.peterjarver.com/ Cheers, Cam.

Walter Glover
31-Aug-2004, 16:29
Hi Cameron,

There's no getting away from me. I'm in Sydney but will be taking a run up noirth soon. Still at Ted's?

For those who might not be familiar with Cameron's work he pushes the boundaries on inventing new and varied looks in pictures of models. Hopefully part of his LF work will be in this genre also.

Good to see you made the choice.

kw
31-Aug-2004, 17:12
I have just returned from a trip to Tasmania last month and thought it might be interesting to introduce you guys to a fantastic photo gallery. Its just at the entrance of Cradle Mountain:

http://www.thewildernessgallery.com/default.asp?action=article&ID=27

Some of the exhibits are taken using 4x5, don't miss it, when you are there the next time!

Michael Hewson
31-Aug-2004, 22:25
G'day folks - I'm a LF newbie in Brisbane. Wista 4*5. Learning the craft - but I don't just get the time to take as many photos I need to improve. But enjoying the conversiuon from 35 mm. Catch up perhaps. regards

Cameron Attree
1-Sep-2004, 03:03
Hey Walter. Yep, seems just about every photography forum I check out, there you are. I am planning on doing some 5x4" work with models after I have had a bit more time getting used to working with the LF system and I've just ordered a Fujinon A 240mm f9.0 from Badger to do some portrait/fashion work. Yes, I am still at Ted's. I remember you used to come in a bit when you came up from Sydney not long after I started working there, some 11 years ago! If your in the city when your in BrisVegas next, drop in and say hi. Cheers, Cam.

Matt Brain
1-Sep-2004, 06:59
G'day, Cameron.

I'm in Tasmania and shoot 4x5. I don't have much of it on the web but my good friend John Mclaine who also shoots 4x5 and 6x7 has a lot of his stuff up. Search for him in the photo net galleries.

Have fun.

Matt

Leonard Metcalf
1-Sep-2004, 18:48
Hi Cameron,

I have been using large format since I discovered it at Art School in the mid eighties, I was lucky enough to be given a Crown Graphic by my father to use bushwalking and to be able to borrow whole kits from the school. Have been hooked ever since... Large format is still the most used and loved of my cameras... I shoot in 4 x 5 (Ebony), black & white and colour / digital and analogue printing... I currently live in the Blue Mountains and am moving to the southern highlands next month... you can peruise some of my work at the Komung gallery website... www.komung.com - Have just recently started tutoring photographers and running workshops... prefer to work in the fine art end of the business... I am just about to start my doctorate in teaching photography... I always enjoy meeting fellow large format photographers... Have sold quite a large number of prints over the years, which supports my creative habit... If you are ever passing drop in...

steve simmons
7-Sep-2004, 10:54
View Camera is now availale in Australia.

scott@mainlinephoto.com.au

Anthony Roach
8-Oct-2004, 23:51
Hi - I shoot on a master tech - mostly colour work - There seems to be quite a few of us - maybe we should make a contact list ?

happy to do it on my site anthonyroach.com as i am in the process of updating my site - drop me a line if you have a web site and wanna be listed - cheers Anthony

patrick_4764
21-Oct-2004, 06:13
HI Cameron...good to see your going to the large format and getting away from the Brownie camera you have been using for so long. We "Australian" photographers don't seem to blow our own trumpets as much as the Yanks and it's time WE did...Australian photography is up there with the best and people need to be educated about it...so keep shooting you little camcorder.