PDA

View Full Version : PITB Question: what lens is this?

DrTang
18-Dec-2013, 19:14
Trying to figure out the lens - without a good photo...over the phone..with an elderly gentleman

found a camera set for sale a good distance away... the guy is 81, and it was his dad's set up

camera is a Gundlach Criterion 8x10 (that much I figured out) and lens is described as:

Gundlach - Manhattan opt. co. Rochester. N.Y. - Equi. Focus 12 in.

when asked he said the numbers on the side were - 64 (f64 I guess) and the other end 191 (?)

at first I thought that it might be a process lens as they often times had equivalent focal lengths on them

then I got to thinking..maybe it was marked in the old US F stop system..so '191' is actually 1.91 or about f5....

or not

here is a small pix:

ready, set, go!

hoping it's something cool that I can use

Jim Noel
18-Dec-2013, 21:10
There have been lenses in the past which were not marked with any f-stops. Instead they were marked with the diameter of the iris, the f-stop was then computed by the photographer.

DrTang
19-Dec-2013, 08:33
There have been lenses in the past which were not marked with any f-stops. Instead they were marked with the diameter of the iris, the f-stop was then computed by the photographer.

looks too modern (well...20's) with the chrome ring and all...but who knows

I looked in the VC for Gundlach lenses with a maximum aperture of f9 and there were no 12" ones

there were several f5 ones however

*shrug*

E. von Hoegh
19-Dec-2013, 11:59
Trying to figure out the lens - without a good photo...over the phone..with an elderly gentleman

found a camera set for sale a good distance away... the guy is 81, and it was his dad's set up

camera is a Gundlach Criterion 8x10 (that much I figured out) and lens is described as:

Gundlach - Manhattan opt. co. Rochester. N.Y. - Equi. Focus 12 in.

when asked he said the numbers on the side were - 64 (f64 I guess) and the other end 191 (?)

at first I thought that it might be a process lens as they often times had equivalent focal lengths on them

then I got to thinking..maybe it was marked in the old US F stop system..so '191' is actually 1.91 or about f5....

or not

here is a small pix:

ready, set, go!

hoping it's something cool that I can use

Judging by that picture it could be anything. We can't ID what we can't see.

DrTang
19-Dec-2013, 15:01
Judging by that picture it could be anything. We can't ID what we can't see.

well..if I had a bigger pix..I could figure it out myself..maybe

I am just hoping someone might have it - and recognize it mostly from the description

E. von Hoegh
19-Dec-2013, 15:48
If you're lucky it could be Radar f:4.5, a nice smooth/sharp Tessar-like lens.

Keith Fleming
19-Dec-2013, 20:44
I'm away from all my info sources, but the lens could be a Gundlach f5.6 Rectigraphic (I think that's the name) set up for a more specialized use than ordinary photography. The lens I am thinking of was a variation on the rapid rectilinear style, with an extra lens element--but no real improvement over the RR.

If this is the lens I am thinking about, it actually is a triple convertible. The front cell is about 20 inches, and the rear cell about 27 inches.

Keith

Keith Fleming
19-Dec-2013, 21:19
I did some online research. The lens I was thinking about actually is the Gundlach f5.6 Perigraphic, 12-inch for 8X10. The front cell of that lens has a focal length of 28 inches, and the rear cell is 20.5 inches. Sorry for the error in my previous post.

Keith

edis
11-Jul-2017, 11:46
My "Ilex Symmetrical 8x10" looks very much like this one front-wise. It is F8. Most likely here is late symmetrical RR/Aplanat.

Randy
11-Jul-2017, 13:17
Definitely not large format, I mean, look at the size of it - barely a centimeter end to end. Probably from to a smart phone - thread needs to be moved.