PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Lough Jr.. Anyone familiar with this photographer?

Cletus
18-Dec-2013, 18:31
I've meant to bring this up several times here on LFF, but it always seems to slip my mind.

I first became aware of Rodney Lough Jr. by way of his very large gallery near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. He does some very nice color landscape type work, mostly 4x5 and 8x10 according to his image info and printed on Fuji Crystal Archive in gigantic sizes.

My first impression, on wandering into this gallery, was this guy must have some multi-millionaire patron backing him on this. His work looks pretty nice to me, but not necessarily so ground breaking original that it would warrant this "world's largest" gallery, which must run into five or six figure monthly rent, considering the location. Even with some of the bigger prints selling as much as $10k at the high end, I still can't figure it.

Anyone know anything about Rodney Lough Jr.? Being a large format photographer of some notoriety, I'd be surprised if was never discussed here.

Darin Boville
18-Dec-2013, 19:00
Is this the guy that when you walk in the door the gallery assistant keeps telling you that Lough is "America's Favorite Landscape Photographer"--she must have said it five or six times. I must have dressed that day better than I normally do. Never heard of the guy.

--Darin

Nathan Potter
18-Dec-2013, 19:54
Well known by many here. I remember a few threads discussing his work. He is very successful financially as he wisely placed his Las Vegas gallery in a conspicuous and upscale location. Possibly the highest sales income ,of any gallery anywhere.

Some of his images I admire - others seem rather over the top for me. I'd consider his work to be near the apogee of decorative art and wouldn't mind owning a piece or two. But on thinking about it I'd rather get a bottle of Romanee Conti for the $10 K.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

gregmo
18-Dec-2013, 19:56
I've meant to bring this up several times here on LFF, but it always seems to slip my mind.

I first became aware of Rodney Lough Jr. by way of his very large gallery near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. He does some very nice color landscape type work, mostly 4x5 and 8x10 according to his image info and printed on Fuji Crystal Archive in gigantic sizes.

My first impression, on wandering into this gallery, was this guy must have some multi-millionaire patron backing him on this. His work looks pretty nice to me, but not necessarily so ground breaking original that it would warrant this "world's largest" gallery, which must run into five or six figure monthly rent, considering the location. Even with some of the bigger prints selling as much as $10k at the high end, I still can't figure it.

Anyone know anything about Rodney Lough Jr.? Being a large format photographer of some notoriety, I'd be surprised if was never discussed here.

I have somewhat followed him for a little while. I believe there is something to be learned from people who become successful while doing the type of work they truly enjoy. Most of his work is from LF film, but recently he has added a MF digital back I believe with a tech cam. He does his own scanning & printing in house.
It looks like he received some funding from an investment firm for the SF gallery. He is at a level were he probably didn't have to give up a ton of the business for the funds. That's just an assumption & I don't know the actual terms of the deal.
The people I personally know who have started & grown large businesses usually do not play with their own or only a portion of their own money to grow the business.
There are some YouTube videos with him discussing his business.

Taija71A
18-Dec-2013, 20:05
____

I heard that his San Francisco Gallery... Is now perhaps CLOSED ???
--

-Tim.
________

vinny
18-Dec-2013, 20:37
Yes. He is/was a member here too. A search would have shown you this:http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/search.php?searchid=2400846

Cletus
18-Dec-2013, 23:01
Vinny - I didn't see anything at the link you posted. But then, I didn't really search this topic first either (shame on me).

Taija71A - I did see one little blurb about the SF gallery being closed too. It was, if I recall, just a single remark somewhere in Google and I didn't think much of it. It wouldn't surprise me, for what that place must cost, $10K inkjet prints notwithstanding. Seems like he'd have to sell ten of those a day to keep the rent paid for that location.

Drew Wiley
19-Dec-2013, 12:11
I've never seen the SF Gallery, and wondered how on earth anyone would be able to afford a photo gallery lease at that location, given the fact that some very very
rich people are coveting the same real estate. He's had a gallery across the bridge in Sausalito for a long time, which I've driven past but never actually entered.

Darin Boville
19-Dec-2013, 13:48
He's had a gallery across the bridge in Sausalito for a long time

Bingo. This *is* the guy I was talking about. America's favorite landscape photographer.

--Darin

Drew Wiley
19-Dec-2013, 14:27
Just contact him thru the forum. He seems to be a friendly enough guy. I'm over in Marin quite a bit, but always out shooting myself, and never window shopping
in the tourist areas.

QT Luong
20-Dec-2013, 19:03
My understanding is that, just like Peter Lik - with whom he shares many traits - Rodney Lough has gotten where he is by work and sheer business savvy combined with the necessary dose of talent and oversize ego which excludes any shame at self-aggrandizing/promotion. Originality does not seem to be necessary for success in that market. Both of them started with local galleries, then progressively invested into more high-profile locations, so I do not think they relied on a specific patron. Peter Lik used to have a Fisherman's Wharf gallery too, but closed it. Looks like the place to be is Vegas. I stepped quickly into the new Rodney Lough gallery in SF, and found it truly impressive, was looking forward to spending some time there, so I'm sorry to read it closed. Great insider information on Peter Lik's business, which I think is quite similar to Lough's, is provided by his former sales associate (art consultant in their parlance) Scott Reither: http://scottreither.com/blogwp/tag/peter-lik/

QT Luong
21-Dec-2013, 13:34
gregmo was correct about the funding of the SF (and also Las Vegas) gallery http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/keiretsu-forum-angel-investors-fund-new-san-francisco-location-wilderness-landscape-1545924.htm

Harley Goldman
24-Dec-2013, 10:20
I met Rodney 6 or 7 years ago in Yosemite valley. A buddy and I were photographing and we started up a conversation with Rodney, who was also out with his camera. I had never heard of him before meeting him. I found him to be a real nice guy, friendly and outgoing, but he does have a very high opinion of himself and his work, which he is not shy about sharing. I have never seen his prints, but have visited his website a few times. He does a real nice job with the 8x10.

DennisD
24-Dec-2013, 13:36
gregmo was correct about the funding of the SF (and also Las Vegas) gallery http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/keiretsu-forum-angel-investors-fund-new-san-francisco-location-wilderness-landscape-1545924.htm

Generating money for a project such as Lough's is quite feasible. Having the "right connections" to one of many investment firms that specialize in placing funds for the multitude of "family offices" with tons of wealth management money makes this possible. Oftentimes such placements can be highly speculative.

Of course, a reasonable business plan is necessary and a track record to support, very helpful. In Rodney's case, the already functioning gallery in Las Vegas certainly helped and proved such a project could be successful.

On another note, regarding the incredible million dollar sale of the Peter Lik photograph a few years back -- I heard, but have no way of knowing if true, that the sale and purchase of the photograph was a promotional stunt orchestrated by some investors who funded Lik and wanted to further boost recognition of his name.

Darin Boville
24-Dec-2013, 14:55
The numbers don't really seem to match. In Lough's (former) assistant's blog he describes the one gallery as doing up to $700k a month in sales. Then the angle fund PR piece is talking about raising a million for a new venture. If you a running a business with $700k a month in sales--or even $500k or $300k--coming up with a million to expand seems fairly easy. Why go to outside investors and dilute ownership? Any finance people out there?

--Darin

vinny
24-Dec-2013, 15:05
The numbers don't really seem to match. In Lough's (former) assistant's blog he describes the one gallery as doing up to $700k a month in sales. Then the angle fund PR piece is talking about raising a million for a new venture. If you a running a business with $700k a month in sales--or even $500k or $300k--coming up with a million to expand seems fairly easy. Why go to outside investors and dilute ownership? Any finance people out there?

--Darin
you've got your photographers mixed up. the blog belongs to LIK's former assistant.

Darin Boville
24-Dec-2013, 18:22
you've got your photographers mixed up. the blog belongs to LIK's former assistant.

Whoops! You're right. Oh, I'm so confused...

--Darin