PDA

View Full Version : Film Washi

Cor
18-Dec-2013, 04:57
Somebody pointed me to this recent new product: a light sensitive emulsion on Japanese Washi (rice?) paper to be used as an in-camera negative.

Although no my cup of tea it's always nice to see new products announced and available !

See: http://lomig.fr/about/index-en.html

best,

Cor

ShannonG
19-Dec-2013, 06:45
This looks interesting,but can one achieve similar results by put putting paper into the neg carrier along with the neg and then print it.?

Patrick13
19-Dec-2013, 11:36
This looks interesting,but can one achieve similar results by put putting paper into the neg carrier along with the neg and then print it.?

I don't see why not. It wouldn't be identical because of the emulsion floating on top of the paper and not embedded in the matrix, but I doubt anyone could tell. Personally I'd prefer to see the hand made paper used as a print base instead of as the negative which will get enlarged, the drawback I see is that at different print sizes the visual effect of the washi stuff also changes.

jnantz
19-Dec-2013, 13:48
its liquid emulsion which is not panchromatic.

ShannonG
21-Dec-2013, 07:00
I don't see why not. It wouldn't be identical because of the emulsion floating on top of the paper and not embedded in the matrix, but I doubt anyone could tell. Personally I'd prefer to see the hand made paper used as a print base instead of as the negative which will get enlarged, the drawback I see is that at different print sizes the visual effect of the washi stuff also changes.
I agree,a print paper would be better.Would be fun to play with these papers with alternative techniques.

jnantz
21-Dec-2013, 09:58
i've priced these papers over the years to use as paper negatives and printing papers ...
from what i remember it is made from mulberry and is only made in the winter ...
and the washi papers i have seem super thin and super absorbent.

thin might require a spray bottle for chemistry seeing it is like tissue
if you plan to be an adventurist
:) and you might have thought single weight paper like azo was thin !

Andrew Plume
7-Jul-2018, 04:12
I've only recently been aware of this film

...........has anyone had any recent experiences and/or can add to the above + possibly attaching some images

regards

andrew

cp_photo
9-Jul-2018, 11:09
I'd like to try some but can't find it in stock in the U.S. Fotoimpex Berlin has it but charges 35 Euro for shipping a single 28 Euro purchase of a single pack.

Andrew Plume
9-Jul-2018, 12:54
there are a couple of Canadian retailers + one in the US:-

http://filmwashi.com/en/order/

andrew