PDA

View Full Version : Cable release forAlphax shutter

Ian Greenhalgh
17-Dec-2013, 19:54
Hi folks

I happen to have three Alphax #3 shutters and they have a type of cable release socket I have never seen before.Instead of being internally threaded taking the usual conical threaded cable, these have a larger external thread.

Being that these are American shutters, is this an American type of cable release or something unique to Wollensak?

Where can I find a suitable cable release for these shutters?

Jon Shiu
17-Dec-2013, 20:19
Standard cable release should work. They are actually threaded inside and outside, unless you have some type of non-standard Alphax.

Jon

AtlantaTerry
18-Dec-2013, 01:35
Aren't standards wonderful? Let's have more of them...

Ian Greenhalgh
18-Dec-2013, 11:07
Hmm, no internal threads on these ones sadly.

Jac@stafford.net
18-Dec-2013, 11:31
Hmm, no internal threads on these ones sadly.

A part is missing. It is a cap that screws on, and it has a hole in the center.

Feel free to bring the shutter to a place that has a variety of fasteners. Try a bicycle tire valve stem cap that you can drill and tap for a straight (non-euro type) shutter release. The cable might have to have a long throw.

domaz
24-Dec-2013, 19:21
A part is missing. It is a cap that screws on, and it has a hole in the center.

Feel free to bring the shutter to a place that has a variety of fasteners. Try a bicycle tire valve stem cap that you can drill and tap for a straight (non-euro type) shutter release. The cable might have to have a long throw.

Sounds interesting- I assume your talking about drilling and tapping a presta valve? A Schrader seems to big for this purpose.

Keith Fleming
24-Dec-2013, 19:31
Both my Alphax shutters also internally threaded, and they accept standard (tapered) shutter releases.

For the life of me I cannot remember if I have ever seen any reference to a shutter release specifically designed for the Alphax shutter.

I hope the suggestion to tap a bicycle stem cap works.

Keith

Jim Andrada
19-Feb-2015, 10:36
Guess what - I have an Alphax shutter that also has only an external thread - nothing that fits a normal release. Wonder if I could run a tap into it. Anyone know what tap would work for a regular tapered release cable?