PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Keith Walklet!

Brad Rippe
16-Dec-2013, 11:06
A Keith Walklet photograph was chosen to be included in the 2013 Yosemite Renaissance exhibit in Yosemite Valley. His photograph "Pebbles and Ice" was one of 49 paintings, photographs or sculptures accepted out of 728 entries. Only 15 of the 49 entries accepted in this extremely competitive exhibit were photographs.
Congratulations Keith!
-Brad Rippe

Vaughn
16-Dec-2013, 11:45
Congrats, Keith!

I'll toot my own horn and mention that I also got a LF photograph into this year's Yosemite Renaissance show. Image attached. (8x10 platinum/palladium print)

Anyone else?

Vaughn

Brad Rippe
16-Dec-2013, 12:04
Congrats to you too Vaughn, very nice image.
-Brad

mathieu Bauwens
16-Dec-2013, 12:06
Congrats to both of you

Ed Bray
16-Dec-2013, 12:35
Congrats, Keith!

I'll toot my own horn and mention that I also got a LF photograph into this year's Yosemite Renaissance show. Image attached. (8x10 platinum/palladium print)

Anyone else?

Vaughn

Surely only to be expected from the 'Humboldt County Ansel Adams' ;)

Congrats to both. :D

Vaughn
16-Dec-2013, 13:03
Surely only to be expected from the 'Humboldt County Ansel Adams' ;) ...

Ouch! ;)

I do recommend to everyone to consider entering next year. The competition is tough...less than 10% get in. A committee goes through all entered works and pulls out what they consider to be the best works that represents the artistic vision of Yosemite and the Sierra Nevada mountains - rather than just the 'prettiest' pictures, paintings, etc). I remember a photograph of Half Dome made from tofu one year! (Half Dome, not the photograph, was made of tofu, just to be clear.) The committee is very interested in the artists' experiences of Yosemite and the mountains as expressed through their art.

The show helps fund art in Yosemite.

Once the work is on the walls, then a juror(s) go thru the work and pick the prize winners...though just getting into the show is an award. The show is up in the Valley for a month or so before traveling around a few CA spots.

http://yosemiterenaissance.org/yr29prospectus.html

Darin Boville
16-Dec-2013, 13:28
I saw this show a few years ago--it had some nice things in it. I think I saw Ted Orland's toy camera photo there for the first time.

--Darin

Leszek Vogt
16-Dec-2013, 14:33
Congrats Vaughn. I have a nice reflection of the Half Dome in a puddle, but it was taken with a bridge camera....and 5x7 would be the ultimate print :D. But, the shot (FF) of the same from Olmsted Point has way more promise. I'm too close to it and need someone else to edit it. Maybe I need better edit tools ???

Les

Vaughn
19-Dec-2013, 16:34
... I'm too close to it and need someone else to edit it. Maybe I need better edit tools ???

Les

Time is the best tool -- especially time on the wall. I figure if I do not continue to look at my work on my walls, no one else will give it more than a couple seconds on a gallery wall.

John Kasaian
20-Dec-2013, 08:19
Congratulations to you both! Way to go!

Alan Gales
20-Dec-2013, 23:10
Congratulations to both! Vaughn, I really like your image and wish I could see the actual print. If I may ask, what lens did you use?

Vaughn
21-Dec-2013, 15:43
Fuji W 300/5.6

I do not have the data with me here, but more than likely closed down to f64.
Surely only to be expected from the 'Humboldt County Ansel Adams'
:p

It is one of my favorite out-of-the-way corners of Yosemite Valley, requires a little wet rock scrabbling...not easy with an 8x10 and not for those worried about heights. Whenever I go to the Valley I try to get there -- I am working with that bit of rock face in the upper right hand corner -- I call it the Star Rock. Hopefully I'll get what I want before I can no longer make the climb with the 8x10.

The negative for this 4x10 platinum print was also taken from the same spot. Looking towards the sun -- an example of when to break the rules. I was drawn to the skinny dark pyramids made by the trees. (Used the same lens, also.)

Alan Gales
22-Dec-2013, 10:15
Fuji W 300/5.6

I do not have the data with me here, but more than likely closed down to f64.
:p

It is one of my favorite out-of-the-way corners of Yosemite Valley, requires a little wet rock scrabbling...not easy with an 8x10 and not for those worried about heights. Whenever I go to the Valley I try to get there -- I am working with that bit of rock face in the upper right hand corner -- I call it the Star Rock. Hopefully I'll get what I want before I can no longer make the climb with the 8x10.

The negative for this 4x10 platinum print was also taken from the same spot. Looking towards the sun -- an example of when to break the rules. I was drawn to the skinny dark pyramids made by the trees. (Used the same lens, also.)

First image: You used a normal focal length so you were pretty close. I figured that shot took some climbing!

Second image: I agree with you, this is a fine example of when to break the rules. Nice shot!

David Karp
22-Dec-2013, 11:37
Congrats to both!

Preston
22-Dec-2013, 11:42
Congratulations, gentlemen! Well done!

--P

Vaughn
22-Dec-2013, 16:29
Thanks, David, Preston!

Alan -- I do prefer 'normal' length lenses...I just like having the near-far relationships true to what I see and experience. But I am not dogmatic about it and occasionally crack out the 250mm or the 19"...and very rarely the 24".

Alan Gales
23-Dec-2013, 14:05
Vaughn , your 8x10 lens kit sounds similar to mine. I own a 250mm 6.7 Fuji, 14" Commercial Ektar and just recently added a 19" Artar. I haven't felt a need for anything longer yet. I do own a Schneider 121mm that I bought because it was dirt cheap. It's a real nice focal length for 4x5 but man is it wide on 8x10!

Jim Graves
4-Mar-2014, 17:35
Keith and Vaughn ... If I'm not mistaken the Renaissance show opened this past weekend ... Did you get to attend? How was the opening? How long is the show up at Yosemite and when does it go on the road? ... Oh, and congratulations again ... quite an honor!

Kirk Gittings
4-Mar-2014, 18:39
Congrats, Keith!

Anyone else?

Vaughn

Very nice Vaughn

Vaughn
4-Mar-2014, 20:07
Thanks, Kirk.

I attended the opening this past Friday -- heavy rain, but never snowed on the Valley Floor. Lots of people (there was also a film festival going on), lots of food, wine, conversation and great works of art!

Info: http://yosemiterenaissance.org/yr29prospectus.html Show is up until May 11th (Mother's Day). I will have the chance to see the show again right before it comes down. I'll be at an opening at the Ansel Adams Gallery on May10th -- I will be in a group show there with all the usual suspects.

Here is the awards list for this year's show...note the first place award -- it is a sweet gum bichromate image (using graphite as the pigment):

Peoples' Choice Award
Marci Crestani, Creek Walk

Honorable Mentions
Robin Black, Winter's Bones (Aspens, Bishop Canyon)
Jerilynn Bush, Nevada Fall Mist
G. Dan Mitchell, Fractured Granite, Reflection
John Yerden, Greenstone Lake

$250 Awards
Ann C. Buell, Sierra Falls
Kathy Kleinsteiber, Bay with Bushtits
William Neill, Elderberry Leaves #5
Penny Otwell, Douglas Fir Grove, High Sierra
Gayle Simpson, Rim Fire 2013
Mike Tauber, Deep Woods at Yosemite Falls

$500 Awards
Jody Sears Barbuta, "redeeming graft"