PDA

View Full Version : difficult and expensive to get 4x5 back for Toyo half-plate field camera??

dimento
16-Dec-2013, 02:07
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of investing in the above mentioned camera, the seller hasn't understood my questions, and I suspect the camera doesn't come with a 4x5 back, I was just wondering if anyone has got one, and how difficult or expensive it might have been to acquire a 4x5 back?

I have no fabrication skills, but could potentially get someone to make something, but it wouldn't be my first choice, thanks.

neil poulsen
16-Dec-2013, 04:18
Can you describe what you mean by a "half-plate" field camera? What dimensions?

dimento
16-Dec-2013, 05:54
Can you describe what you mean by a "half-plate" field camera? What dimensions?

HI Neil the description by the seller is: Toyo 4 3/4 X 6 1/2 Field and I've attached a couple of pics: I already enquired as to the nature of the included back, but because of language differences the seller thought I was trying to add a 4x5 film holder to the sale

BradS
16-Dec-2013, 07:17

Those photos appear to show the camera with a 4x5 reducing back.

adelorenzo
16-Dec-2013, 09:22
Yup that is the 4x5 back. Great camera, I have two of them with various backs.

adelorenzo
16-Dec-2013, 10:36
I see that camera has sold did you pick it up?

dimento
16-Dec-2013, 11:02
I see that camera has sold did you pick it up?

Yes, I decided to go for it, your description of it being the 4x5 back swung it. Seller's English was poor and my question of "it looks like the camera is currently set up for 4x5, is that correct"? yielded "I will see if I can find a film holder. Reckoned my search for an affordable Wista or later Toyo would have to be ended as my budget was unrealistic. Glad to hear you like your 2 Toyos. looking forward to shooting some landscapes, cheers, D

adelorenzo
16-Dec-2013, 14:35
Sweet, they are great cameras and lightweight. It's a cool camera because it has options for larger formats in the future including half plate, 5x7 and whole plate.

jackpie
16-Dec-2013, 16:56
These Toyo Fields make great compact field cameras. I use mine with the original 4x5, and half plate backs and a custom 5x7 back. A Kodak 203mm f7.7 lives on mine and the camera will close with it fitted. The fixed bellows are a little short at 350mm extension, but they work great for lenses 90-300mm. At portrait distances a regular 250mm allows closer focusing or use a telephoto like the Wollensak 15" telephoto.

AtlantaTerry
16-Dec-2013, 17:45
"it looks like the camera is currently set up for 4x5, is that correct"?

I used to live in Tokyo for a couple years. I had to relearn how to ask questions like yours. The problem is that you made a statement then followed it up with a question which confuses the heck out of non-native-English-speaking persons. Until I learned how to phrase questions so the other party could understand my point, I was confuzzling my Japanese friends, just like what you did to the eBay seller.

Instead, just ask the question directly. For example, "Is the camera set up for 4x5?"

vinny
16-Dec-2013, 18:09
I was going to guess that it was also a 4x5 back by looks of it but I didn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

dimento
17-Dec-2013, 01:38
I used to live in Tokyo for a couple years. I had to relearn how to ask questions like yours. The problem is that you made a statement then followed it up with a question which confuses the heck out of non-native-English-speaking persons. Until I learned how to phrase questions so the other party could understand my point, I was confuzzling my Japanese friends, just like what you did to the eBay seller.

Instead, just ask the question directly. For example, "Is the camera set up for 4x5?"

ok thanks, never knew that, but I guess with my smattering of French and slightly better Irish and the structure of those, I should have guessed.

dimento
17-Dec-2013, 01:39
I was going to guess that it was also a 4x5 back by looks of it but I didn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

thanks Vinny, looks like a good choice for me, the head won out over the (expensive) heart in this instance

dimento
17-Dec-2013, 02:39
am I right in thinking that these cameras use graphic lensboards and if so, do they accept the super graphic type? i.e., notches on all 4 sides? thanks

jackpie
17-Dec-2013, 05:09
They use pacemaker graphic lensboards. I don't know about super graphic boards. The bumps at the top and bottom mate with the retaining sliders. Bumps on the side wouldn't get in the way of anything.

dimento
17-Dec-2013, 05:15
They use pacemaker graphic lensboards. I don't know about super graphic boards. The bumps at the top and bottom mate with the retaining sliders. Bumps on the side wouldn't get in the way of anything.
great stuff, many thanks, I have a super graphic so it would be useful to interchange, appreciate it.

Kuzano
17-Dec-2013, 12:41
Is Frank Petronio still posting here?

He may know. I seem to recall he had an example of that same camera just a few years ago. They used to come up on eBay fairly regularly, but not so much the last couple of years.

Kuzano
17-Dec-2013, 12:44
am I right in thinking that these cameras use graphic lensboards and if so, do they accept the super graphic type? i.e., notches on all 4 sides? thanks

The lens boards for the Super Graphic are a bit thicker... as they are two steel plates with a linkage inside for the shutter release solenoid in the Super front standard to actuate. However dimension wise and with regard to bumps, the Super lens boards fit on a Crown or other Graflex.

dimento
17-Dec-2013, 12:55
The lens boards for the Super Graphic are a bit thicker... as they are two steel plates with a linkage inside for the shutter release solenoid in the Super front standard to actuate. However dimension wise and with regard to bumps, the Super lens boards fit on a Crown or other Graflex.

great stuff, thanks for the help

jackpie
18-Dec-2013, 07:47
Is Frank Petronio still posting here?

I miss Frank.

When does his ban expire?

Andrew Plume
18-Dec-2013, 07:51
I miss Frank.

When does his ban expire?

I thought that Frank 'banned himself'............I may be wrong however

andrew

Andrew Plume
18-Dec-2013, 07:53
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of investing in the above mentioned camera, the seller hasn't understood my questions, and I suspect the camera doesn't come with a 4x5 back, I was just wondering if anyone has got one, and how difficult or expensive it might have been to acquire a 4x5 back?

I have no fabrication skills, but could potentially get someone to make something, but it wouldn't be my first choice, thanks.

fyi, eBay seller 'tokyophoto' regularly stocks Cameras and accessories such as what you're after

hope that this helps

regards

andrew

HeinrichVoelkel
7-Mar-2014, 12:29
Sweet, they are great cameras and lightweight. It's a cool camera because it has options for larger formats in the future including half plate, 5x7 and whole plate.

can you tell me from experience which 5x7 back will fit? only the original one?

adelorenzo
7-Mar-2014, 13:07
No firsthand experience as I don't have a 5x7 back for mine, only 4x5, half and whole plate backs.

I do know that one sold recently on eBay with a Plaubel back fitted:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TOYO-METAL-FIELD-CAMERA-WITH-5X7-BACK-/261409117894?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item3cdd3296c6&_uhb=1

The eBay seller tokyophoto also sells custom made wooden backs like this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toyo-Field-4-3-4-x-6-1-2-5x7-back-/111158941308?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item19e196d67c&_uhb=1

HeinrichVoelkel
7-Mar-2014, 13:16
thank you for the informative and lightning fast post

jackpie
9-Mar-2014, 18:30
The eBay seller tokyophoto also sells custom made wooden backs like this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toyo-Field-4-3-4-x-6-1-2-5x7-back-/111158941308?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item19e196d67c&_uhb=1

I have one of these 5x7 backs. It's works ok but the wood isn't really finished, and the style doesn't match the camera. I miss having a bail arm too.

I've gone back to using the original half-plate back which is fantastic but requires unique half plate film holders. These are so much more compact than regular 5x7 holders and make a great light weight field setup if you can live with half plate b&w film.

HeinrichVoelkel
10-Mar-2014, 00:01
@ jackpie, I could live with the format, but can I buy this film over here in Europe as well?

jackpie
15-Mar-2014, 04:09
Yes you can get half plate b&w film in europe.

http://www.lumiere-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=1670