PDA

View Full Version : 5X7 Linhof Technikardan 45s?

sanking
15-Dec-2013, 20:06
Anyone every make an 5X7 adaptor back for the Technikardan 45s? Assume Linhof never offered such an adaptor? Trying to figure out if this is feasible?

Sandy

John Schneider
18-Dec-2013, 23:19
Hi Sandy,

I asked this question of Bob Salomon years ago; the gist of it was that in his opinion the rear rigidity would be inadequate. I don't remember if the communication was by email or PM or posted in a thread. I've made several backs for non-standard formats over the years (WP on Arca F; 4x10 on Arca F, 5x7 on Toho 45A, and probably others I can't think of now), but I never attempted this (it was just easier switching to Arca and getting a 5x7 back). But I do miss the TK45's I've owned.

I considered grafting on a rear L-standard from a 5x7 Kardan Master L, which would definitely be rigid enough, but then the whole camera gets too heavy to be practical and certainly wouldn't fold. I do think it would work if you (1) used an auxiliary support for the R side of the rear standard (like this: http://www.skgrimes.com/whats-new/2006-2/technikardan-support; although you'd need to be fine without the ability to change the back from landscape to portrait format), and (2) adjusted the positions of the standards to account for the greater height and width of the 5x7 back. Please update this post as you ponder things; I may yet tackle this project if I can find a cheap (~$500 or so) TK to play around with.