PDA

View Full Version : Replacement brass hood for a 1850 Petzval

Steven Tribe
15-Dec-2013, 07:22
This is a system that I have described before for making a brass flange for Dallmeyer 3B. It is far better permanent system for mounting a brass lens hood than a flange to a brass sleeve.

Only a few of the heavy (over 2 kilos) portrait petzvals are less than 100 years and during this time they often lost parts. Flanges are a common loss, but the big brass lens hoods have often been removed too.This is not such a problem as the flange but still represents a real loss.

I have an, otherwise complete and unmodified, Petzval made by Waibl in 185?. Without the lens hood.
After 24 hours, I got tired of the lacking hood, so I made one yesterday.

From the few photos of complete Waibl available, I found it was basically the same as the other Viennese makers, like Voigtlander and Dietzler. A triangular profile brass ring (like the extra brass ring on the sleeve accepting the flange) with the hood tube attached (solder?).

This construction is beyond my metal skill/tools, so I decided to make a brass hood of the same diameter as the current sleeve - with a thread on the inner surface of the hood matching the original thread on the barrel end.

I used the same brass tube I had used for the 3B (co-incidence) with a shorter cut section of the same source brass tube. This was cut through and the effective diameter reduced to fit inside the hood proper. The reduced internal diameter had now under 1 mm clearance over the mounting thread on the barrel. The two hood parts were then soldered together (using soft electronic solder which is easy to remove from brass surfaces). Finally, I soldered 4 1 cm blobs of solder internally at the the edge and filed these down until the hood could be screwed in, cutting a basic part thread in the solder at the same time.

The photos below are, I hope, self explanatory.
The brass will have to age a little before I can do a matching lacquering.

Amedeus
15-Dec-2013, 10:00
Thanks for sharing Steven ... neat and doesn't sound all that time consuming ..

Tin Can
19-Dec-2013, 22:46
Good job. Looks great!

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Dec-2013, 08:09
Steven, thanks for sharing this. I need to source some nice round brass sleeves as this is something I will need to do.

brandon13
21-Dec-2013, 10:14
Very nice.

hansdekort
9-Jan-2014, 23:26
The length of the hood must it be 1/3 of the physical length of the lens?

Steven Tribe
10-Jan-2014, 03:37
No, this just a guess! The lengths of hoods in the early years (1845 - 1860 ) vary a lot and have generally a much larger diameter than the barrel and sleeve. I know that Ross CdeV Petzvals have huge hoods. I could have chosen a larger diameter and "filled-in" the diameter with a number of short lengths of cut rings - but this was the fastest solution.

Cutting down the length, if found necessary from experiments, will be an easy hacksaw operation. I am making a lens board to-day for that purpose!

C. D. Keth
18-Jan-2014, 20:49
The hood should be as long as possible without vignetting, ideally.

hansdekort
29-Jan-2014, 13:03
My neighbour made me a new lenshood for my Derogy 24" from around 1850, the brass has to be aged now.

Steven Tribe
30-Jan-2014, 02:17
This is more GIDBYSN (Get It Done By Your Skilled Neighbour) rather DIY.

Wish I had a neighbour with a lathe!