PDA

View Full Version : Buy TF-5 and Pyrocat HD in USA

Indio
13-Dec-2013, 11:19
Hi,

I'm in California (SF) and I don't find a online shop to buy liquid pyrocat HD and TF-5.
B&H take too long for TF-5 and ship just the dust Pyrocat, wher can I found them?

Thanks

mikezvi
13-Dec-2013, 11:23
Keeble and Shuchat used to carry both as recently as two years ago, but I haven't lived there since then.

I think B&H will get you them with a long enough lead time, too.

C_Remington
13-Dec-2013, 11:23
How 'bout:

http://stores.photoformulary.com/StoreFront.bok

They're out west I believe.

Roger Thoms
13-Dec-2013, 11:32
Have you tried Photographers Formulary or Freestyle photographic Supply? Locally I would check Glass Key Photo over on Haight St., I've. bought Pyrocat HD there and they might have TF-5. Also check Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto, I have purchased both Pyrocat HD and TF-5 there too.

Roger

Cletus
13-Dec-2013, 11:34
Indio -

I know this isn't what you're asking, but you can buy the constituent chemicals for Pyrocat HD from Bostick & Sullivan or Artcraft Chemcials and easily mix it yourself. You can make enough to last several years for about the price of one (1) Liter kit this way.

Sandy King has all the formulations and other info for Pyrocat HD online....

Roger Thoms
13-Dec-2013, 12:56
Ok I checked with Matt at Glass Key Photo and he has Pyrocat HD and TF-5 in stock. Plus he has the paper I was looking for in stock.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Glass-Key-Photo/119199231470385

Roger

sanking
13-Dec-2013, 14:48
There are mixing instructions for the Pyrocat family of developers at http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/

The three main versions of Pyrocat are -HD, -MC, and -P. These are really three different developers because each has a different second reducer for synergy: phenidone with -HD, metol with -MC, and p-aminophenol with -P. Stock A of each formula can be mixed in either water, or in glycol. All three formulas contain the same amount of pyrocatechol as the primary reducer.

Of the three, -HD, the orginal Pyrocat formula, is the most general purpose, and gives a nice combination of smoothness and sharpness, -P is the sharpest, and -MC is about mid-way. The reason for the difference lies in the degree of synergy of the three secondary reducers, which is greatest with phenidone, least with p-aminopheno, mid-way with metoll. The synergy of the secondary reducer impacts developer exhaustion and adjacency effects, at a given dilution, which in turn determines apparent sharpness. However, to appreciate the differences would require rather high magnification.

Sandy

Drew Wiley
13-Dec-2013, 17:17
I know Looking Glass here in Berkeley has TF4 and liquid Pyrocat HD. Haven't seen TF5 in there yet. But they recently relocated closer to the freeway and I'm not fully familiar with their expanded new store yet. Give em a call.

Patrick13
13-Dec-2013, 18:40
Freestyle Photographic Supplies has TF-5 in both 1 litre and 1 gallon jugs. They also carry TF-4 and varieties of pyro developer mixes but I do not know if one of those varieties matches Pyrocat HD.

tgtaylor
15-Dec-2013, 09:22
Keeble & Schuchat in Palo Alto has both Pyrocat HD and TF5 and TF4. I purchased a jug of TF5 from them a couple of weeks back and that may have been the last one on the shelf but they do stock both versions with TF5 priced about $4 lower (at $25.95) than TF4. Although I haven't been to their new location, Looking Glass only had the TF4 version on the shelf.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
17-Dec-2013, 16:28
Yeah ... I was in Looking Glass last nite, and only TF4 was on hand. Some of that darkroom stuff they only stock cause I asked them to. I try to support local businesses whenever its realistic to do so.

Roger Thoms
17-Dec-2013, 19:17
Well hopefully the OP found what he was looking for as there are quite a few sources here in the Bay Area. I too try and support local business. As I posted previously, Glass Key right here in San Francisco has both Pyrocat HD and TF-5 in stock plus they have a great selection if film, paper and other darkroom chemicals. I occasionally make it over to Lookihg Glass, but if I can avoid going across the bay I'm much happier.

Roger

tgtaylor
17-Dec-2013, 19:40
I stopped by K&S over the weekend to pick up a box of 11x14 Ilford Art 300. I have several negatives shot with an Imagon lens that will work with the Ilford paper and K&S sells it for the same price as B&H. Of course you have to pay California sales tax but its a wash when you factor in the shipping charges.

Anyway I made it a point to check the fix and they had replenished their stock of TF5 on the shelf. So they are apparently keeping both TF4 and TF5 in stock.

Thomas