PDA

View Full Version : Need English translation for German "WW Balgen und Tubus"

Richard Hofacker
10-Dec-2013, 19:29
I've been translating a bunch of Plaubel camera specs to inform photographers on the net who have had trouble getting reliable info on the many Plaubel camera models, since that company publishes everything in German. I'm reasonably fluent in German, having been married to a German lady for 61 years and having lived and worked (in advertising) in Germany for six years, so I know that "WW Balgen" means wide-angle bellows, but "Tubus" is a new one on me. It refers to 35 mm to 90 mm lenses, so I presume it might be a name for a recessed lens board, but I'm unsure. It's included in the specs for all three formats of the Peco Profia NT models as well as all three formats of the Peco Profia ZT models, published in Plaubel's price lists of January 1, 2012 on their web page. Additionally, I've been translating "Feintrieb" as "precision drive", or should it be "micrometer drive"?

Incidentally, I have many of the spec sheets for Plaubel view cameras going back to the Supra, including parts numbers, so I might be able to help inquiries for info if they're posted here so I can answer them here.

analoguey
10-Dec-2013, 20:20
Why not post in the German section of the board? Might get ready translation there?

Richard Hofacker
10-Dec-2013, 21:58
Thanks for the tip. How do I find the German section? There's no mention of it any of the Forum info I've seen.

analoguey
10-Dec-2013, 22:02
Sorry, thought this was posted on APUG. A German board exists there.

Thomas Greutmann
10-Dec-2013, 23:23
In German “Tubus“ means a tube-like thing. In conjunction with LF cameras I would assume this is a macro extension lensboard. At least this is how Linhof calls these extensions.

Greetings from Germany,
Thomas

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Doremus Scudder
11-Dec-2013, 07:15
WW = Weitwinkel = wide-angle
Balgan = bellows

My experience with the word "Tubus" is with either lens (extension/mounting) tubes or lens barrels. I would assume that the former applies in your case. That would be an extension tube or cone for macro work, or an extended lensboard for using longer lenses on shorter bellows.

Linhof translates "Tubus" as "Lens tube" in their own literature for the Technorama 617. See here: http://www.linhof.de/download_e/Man_Linhof_T617e.pdf

And they also use it for extended lensboards/cone lensboards. See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-Makro-Tubus-mit-Copal-Verschlus-/310816901193?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item485e218849 .

A quick Google search on "tubus" and "plaubel" will turn up lots.

Best,

Doremus

Richard Hofacker
11-Dec-2013, 11:04
Vielen Dank. Thomas! (For my monolingual English-speaking friends, that's "Many thanks!") Seriously, since Plaubel didn't feel it was necessary to expand on this spec, I'm going to stick with "wide-angle bellows with tube" and figure that whoever is interested in such a feature already knows what it means. Personally, I've taken several macro photos of microchips over the years when I worked in PR at Bell Labs, using my 4" x 5" Plaubel Peco Junior, and I never needed any tubes.

Richard Hofacker
11-Dec-2013, 11:21
Thank you, too, Doremus, for your helpful info. I was especially interested in your ref to the Linhof Technorama 617. I didn't know they decided to copy the Brooks-Plaubel Veriwide 100, which came out in 1960 at the Photokina. Do you know when Linhof brought this model out? Personally, I prefer the streamlined elegance of my Veriwide 100, but enough already, this is the Large Format Photography Forum! One quick question for you: Is "precision drive" a correct translation of "feintrieb" (Plaubel sticks with the simple term without further details)?

Tchuss, Richard

Bob Salomon
11-Dec-2013, 11:31
Thank you, too, Doremus, for your helpful info. I was especially interested in your ref to the Linhof Technorama 617. I didn't know they decided to copy the Brooks-Plaubel Veriwide 100, which came out in 1960 at the Photokina. Do you know when Linhof brought this model out? Personally, I prefer the streamlined elegance of my Veriwide 100, but enough already, this is the Large Format Photography Forum! One quick question for you: Is "precision drive" a correct translation of "feintrieb" (Plaubel sticks with the simple term without further details)?

Tchuss, Richard
The original Linhof Technorama was made from 1976 to 1985

Michael E
11-Dec-2013, 17:29
Additionally, I've been translating "Feintrieb" as "precision drive", or should it be "micrometer drive"?

"Precision drive" is correct.

Best,

Michael

Richard Hofacker
12-Dec-2013, 13:19
Many thanks, Michael! That removes the last worry I had over this translation. And to think I didn't take German in high school but end up being this immersed in it!

Richard