PDA

View Full Version : Wista SP front rise problem

newt_on_swings
10-Dec-2013, 00:03
Hello all, I wish my first post here would have been about something else instead of a problem, but hopefully someone here might have some insight into this issue I am having. I posted this earlier tonight to apug as well, but I thought this forum would probably be more appropriate.

I got a Wista SP today in the mail. and as I was doing a once over I noticed the front rise was stuck. The tightening screw on the left side is super tight, and there is a slight bend to it as it is pushing against the guide rail. The screw on the right unscrews easily. Examining under the front standard U bracket shows a sort of collar with 3 set screws also along the left side, directly to the right of the toothed wheel/gear. On this part there are only 2 set screws, one is missing, but the assembly seems tight. I am not sure what this collar does either.

When trying to untwist and loosen the left locking knob, the front does rise slightly so its not completely locked but it is very tight, and stops after a quarter turn or so. Looking along the side of the left guide there is a bit a wear down to the brass from the previous owner.

What could cause this problem, and how would I be able to fix it? Should I try to take off the guide rails to loosen it? I have attached an image with the bellows off the front, and with the front standard shifted all the way to the left. Also is a picture of the instruction manual I was using when checking over the camera but there isnt any more info that was was in that paragraph for front rise.

Thanks ahead of time for any information or suggestions.

Neal Chaves
10-Dec-2013, 11:45
It looks to me like that collar locks to the shaft and maintains the correct spacing for the knob and gear relative to the rack. Looks like the knob may have taken a hit or a push which moved the shaft deeper into the collar jamming everything up. Try to loosen the collar and pull the shaft out to the proper position for the gear and knob. There may be another collar on the other end of the shaft that has slipped as well. You can buy those tiny metric set screws in a well-stocked hardware store.

Bob Salomon
10-Dec-2013, 11:56
Hello all, I wish my first post here would have been about something else instead of a problem, but hopefully someone here might have some insight into this issue I am having. I posted this earlier tonight to apug as well, but I thought this forum would probably be more appropriate.

I got a Wista SP today in the mail. and as I was doing a once over I noticed the front rise was stuck. The tightening screw on the left side is super tight, and there is a slight bend to it as it is pushing against the guide rail. The screw on the right unscrews easily. Examining under the front standard U bracket shows a sort of collar with 3 set screws also along the left side, directly to the right of the toothed wheel/gear. On this part there are only 2 set screws, one is missing, but the assembly seems tight. I am not sure what this collar does either.

When trying to untwist and loosen the left locking knob, the front does rise slightly so its not completely locked but it is very tight, and stops after a quarter turn or so. Looking along the side of the left guide there is a bit a wear down to the brass from the previous owner.

What could cause this problem, and how would I be able to fix it? Should I try to take off the guide rails to loosen it? I have attached an image with the bellows off the front, and with the front standard shifted all the way to the left. Also is a picture of the instruction manual I was using when checking over the camera but there isnt any more info that was was in that paragraph for front rise.

Thanks ahead of time for any information or suggestions.

Wista service in USA

Nippon Photoclinic
920 Broadway Suite 705
NY, NY 10010

newt_on_swings
18-Dec-2013, 04:15
Thanks for the replies and help, I ended up fixing it myself, theres a detailed write up on apug as well in case anyone encounters this problem in the future.

You basically need to take off the front standard, adjust the tilt and get access to two black screws and two long set screws right under, which hold the axle holders, which in turn hold the rise axle and pinion gears against the U shaped standard. Once thats freed up you can clean up dirt and grime, regrease, loosen up the locking knob on the left of the axle, apply thread locker on the right adjustment knob on the right of the axle. reassembly is the reverse basically but you must not over tighten the two black screws as it will bind the movement of the pinion gears to tightly against the standard.