PDA

View Full Version : 1949 GE meter movie

goamules
9-Dec-2013, 16:33
I was researching an old GE meter I found this weekend, and discovered onto this 1949 film about how to use it. A few shots of large format cameras being used, and some pretty hammy acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmTrOg3hxik

Michael Clark
9-Dec-2013, 17:15
Had one or two of those many years ago, replace it with a Luna-six . Is that a Omega D2 in his darkroom ?

goamules
9-Dec-2013, 17:20
Mine seems to be working well, just one stop off. I'll play with compensating it by setting the ASA different, etc.

Michael Clark
9-Dec-2013, 17:22
They would not work very well in lower light levels at least not as sensitive as the luna. Small and compact and pretty durable things.The reflective measuring angle was pretty wide and had to get pretty close to the subject to get an accurate reading,

BrianShaw
9-Dec-2013, 17:56
kewl

goamules
9-Dec-2013, 18:58
... had to get pretty close to the subject to get an accurate reading,

Yeah, that's the point with the pretty models in the clip! Mine seems to be a PR-2 Guardian meter, like this one 171190255412. Note the $35 price on the box, that was a lot of money in the early 50s, more than a lot of American cameras. I believe a Leica was around $130.

Oh yeah, Speed Graphic alert!

Michael Clark
9-Dec-2013, 19:11
I suppose they were pretty good meters if the selenium cell was not kaput, but back then I wanted one of the more newer CDS cell meters and really did not give the GE meter much use. The old story that newer was better and had to have it!

DannL
9-Dec-2013, 20:05
I've used the PR-1 for many years now. Good little meter.

Jim C.
9-Dec-2013, 20:59
Nice find, cool video ! Makes me want to get one ;)

goamules
10-Dec-2013, 06:24
I found the guidebook for mine, and it says there is a Dynacell accessory for greater sensitivity in low light. I might look for one of these. Do any of you know what technology it uses, i.e. would it's sensitivity have decreased or disappeared over the years?

ShannonG
10-Dec-2013, 07:37
I Have one of those,never used it.Usually use my Manolta spot meeter F,but now that i saw the video i might give it a try to see if it works. Thanks for sharing nice find.

Jim Jones
10-Dec-2013, 09:31
My second light meter was a GE DW-48 (or maybe DW-58) bought in the Yokosuka Japan Navy exchange in 1952 for $30, over a week's pay as a junior Navy enlisted man. It was more sensitive than the PR-1 when used for incident light, but bulkier and less automated. I've always preferred the Weston Master II or Master III. Just now I compared the four selenium meters left on the desk after a recent shoot. The Master II and PR-1 gave nearly the same reading, the DW60 almost a stop higher, and another Master II apparently has expired. The GE meters had one advantage over the Westons; the axis of their meters was vertical. Thus, if the armature was out of balance, they could still be fairly accurate. Not so with the Weston. For the meter movement to respond to the output of a selenium cell in low light, it had to be very sensitive and delicate. It's not unusual for them to be out of balance.

goamules
10-Dec-2013, 09:49
I just read the manual of my GE, and it says it's warrantied for life of the meter! Nice how companies used to stand by their products. I doubt they foresaw that we'd be still using them a half century later though.

Andrew O'Neill
10-Dec-2013, 17:18
Wow. The guy falls on his ass and his pant legs roll down. Amazing.