PDA

View Full Version : Can I develove film inhouse?

Sunny Alan
6-Dec-2013, 23:42
Hi all,
On studying large format film I am convinced it's unmatched image quality in landscape photos for enlargements.

Problem is no film developing studios existing even in a 1000 mile radius....

Can I develop own film, after some training without costly machines in the old way of lith film developing trays and suitable chemicals ?

Or is it need costly equipment like roll film development ?

Tin Can
7-Dec-2013, 00:09
Go to your library and read some books on it. Any library has a lot of books on this topic.

Jim collum
7-Dec-2013, 00:24
if you google 'how to develop sheet film', you get all sorts of stuff

Sunny Alan
7-Dec-2013, 02:15
Thank you for the replies.

And I think it is quite a tough job i am attempting....

Can we expect 90% accuracy and consistency on an average, though it depends a lot on the individual?

tigger_six
7-Dec-2013, 04:34
Thank you for the replies.

And I think it is quite a tough job i am attempting....

Can we expect 90% accuracy and consistency on an average, though it depends a lot on the individual?

What exactly do you want to develop? It is certainly nothing difficult, although it might take some time until you iron out the details. I would estimate that more than 75% of BW film photographs are developed in the kitchen sink/lab at home, due to the shear simplicity of the process and full control home developing gives you. You should perhaps invest a bit more effort into choosing chemicals that are convenient for you if you live on a remote place, and make sure you have access to water of reasonable quality. (Perhaps you can buy distilled water in large quantities? That would be optimal if your tap water is high in mineral content.)

ShannonG
7-Dec-2013, 08:11
my motto is ,one can develop film any ware you have water and a drain and can make the room dark. Ive developed film in every place i have lived sense i was 13,now im 44 and have a real darkroom now,the best one ive ever had. Do some reading,experimenting,have fun..

neil poulsen
7-Dec-2013, 10:17
If black and white, to get the results I want, I wouldn't develop film in any other way except at home.

ROL
7-Dec-2013, 10:33

Much better than that, in almost every way (depending on the individual ;))

While I'm pretty sure "develove" was unintentional, I think that term thusly coined perfectly describes the process for many of us. I'd trademark it for that specialty process or technique you are sure to develop as you become proficient.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Dec-2013, 11:33
Colour? Black and white? Which?

C_Remington
7-Dec-2013, 11:42
Really?? This is a conversation???

Sunny Alan
8-Dec-2013, 10:48
Wow, lot of responses, thanks friends....

NO B&L, color. I know to develop B&L, in fact got an Enloarger vertical camera lying in the attic.

I need to develop Velvia type of cut film. I have plans to buy an Ebony camera or equivalent.

Somebody told me it is nearly impossible to develop color film accurately by hand, without developing machine, that is why I put this question to the right people.

So, is it fairly possible, if I try ?
You can trust my careful practice of the process, a lensman always is a patient one !

("develove" : It was purely a typo, sorry. But I nearly become a linguist, inventing a word ?)

Light Guru
8-Dec-2013, 13:07
Somebody told me it is nearly impossible to develop color film accurately by hand, without developing machine

That person is completely wrong and does not know what they are talking about.

All you need is to keep the chemicals at the right temp and that can easily be done with a water bath.

polyglot
8-Dec-2013, 22:36
It's very easy and you can do it with not much equipment at all. Instructions are in the FAQ linked in my signature.

Toyon
11-Dec-2013, 08:09
If black and white, to get the results I want, I wouldn't develop film in any other way except at home.

Wow, what a tortured sentence.

Rory_5244
11-Dec-2013, 11:54
I develop E6 in a rubbermaid cooler with Tetenal chemistry. Buy the kit, read instructions, perfect results.

polyglot
11-Dec-2013, 15:17
Wow, what a tortured sentence.

And how is your grammar in, er, what second and/or third languages do you have? Is it perfect?

smithdoor
11-Dec-2013, 16:10
Black and white work well at home take about 1/2 hour for up to 12 sheets and less than $75.00 to start.
The color just mail order try www.thedarkroom.com they will scan to CD or download from there site.
I have in the past use in town but 20 years ago it took a week or two and a $20.00 per print. The darkroom is $4.00 per sheet plus copies and shipping.

Dave