PDA

View Full Version : How do you change the angle of the Linhof anatomical grip??

Corran
4-Dec-2013, 22:25
I can't for the life of me figure this out. There are two screws on the circular column connected to the bracket and actual grip but they are 100% locked tight.

Is that it or am I missing something? I could try some penetrating oil and heat but I don't want to do that if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

MonkeyBrain
5-Dec-2013, 04:52
Yep, those screws. I think they are actually two ends of the same screw.

Will need two screwdrivers I guess, one on each side. This was one thing I actually had Linhof repair, as one screw was so soft that the groove (the bit where the screwdriver goes into...sorry I forget the correct term) had almost completely worn away and so I couldnt get it open. I'm hoping the replacement screw is made of harder metal.

Linhof actualy sent the grip back to me with the two screws very slightly loose. It means the angle of the grip sometimes shifts when using, but not so much as to be a nuisance. Perhaps this is how it was intended to be used, rather than locked so tight that it cant be opened without destroying the screw?

Bob Salomon
5-Dec-2013, 05:00
You just twist it. At least the grips made for the past 40 years, or so.

Corran
5-Dec-2013, 07:48
Yes I'm having the same problem with the metal starting to shear off on the screws.

Bob - I have two different grips, one much older from a Tech IV and a newer one with my MT, but neither just twists. Are they supposed to be free-moving like that??

MonkeyBrain
5-Dec-2013, 08:06
In the end I risked forcing the screw and was lucky enough to get it to move before it became totally impossible to get any grip with a screwdriver (but I was really living dangerously, if it hadnt've moved on that last attempt I'd've been *$ç@ed).

I'm now guessing it's meant to be tightened just to the point that it's reasonably firm but will still twist when required. Mine also did not twist when I bought it (used). Probably most users assume the screw is meant to be tightened so the grip does not shift when used; consequently they tighten the screw to the point that it can no longer be unscrewed.

You might have to risk forcing it, probably destroying the screw in the process, and then order a replacement from Linhof (their screws have a reputation for being custom sizes that cannot be found elsewhere...).

Corran
5-Dec-2013, 08:09
Thanks. I'm going to look for a wider bit screwdriver and try again.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Dec-2013, 08:25
Doesn't your grip have a lever that locks it in any chosen position?

Corran
5-Dec-2013, 08:31
Both of them have a lever that locks it into the bracket on the camera, but the lever doesn't unlock the rotation.

Jac@stafford.net
5-Dec-2013, 08:44
Okay, later today I will look for mine that has a position lever. It is located on the rotating collar.

EDIT: I have a photo of one of them with the tilt adjustment lever. Turning it one way loosens the grip for rotation, then locks it in place. This is an unusual version, but I have other 'normal' Technika grips and will check them at the shop.

David A. Goldfarb
5-Dec-2013, 09:28
On mine (I have two different versions dating to the 1970s), there is a silver positioning collar with a set screw between the grip and the piece that slides into the bracket on the camera. You loosen the set screw, adjust the angle, and tighten. I have it set so my wrist is straight when the viewfinder is at eye level.

Corran
5-Dec-2013, 10:27
Thanks guys! I went down to the shop here at work and found a really long-handled screwdriver and that gave me enough torque to break the screws loose. That was indeed the problem!