PDA

View Full Version : Wista 45SP mystery screw

Wayne
4-Dec-2013, 22:02
Last time I had my 45SP out, the rack seemed a bit loose so tonight I took a look at it. I loosened and adjusted the rails, tightened em down and everything seemed fine again. Then I noticed a small hole, maybe 1/8 inch diameter in the top right rear of the middle rack. Its about 1" forward of the rear end of that middle section. I have no idea what used to be there or what it was for.

A short while later, I heard something rattling around in the camera. I opened it, shook it, and out fell a small, cylindrical screw with an overall diameter about the same as that mystery hole. The threads of the screw are much smaller diameter though, and the hole has no threads at all. I'm thinking a threaded part used to be in that hole, and it has been lost. But what? And what for?

Unfortunately with my Caveman internet service I can't post a picture, but that will just make this more fun.

Alan Gales
4-Dec-2013, 22:14
I don't know a whole lot about Wistas but I believe there a screw in the bed for adding extension rails. Could this be the screw you are talking about?

B.S.Kumar
4-Dec-2013, 22:50
On my Wista RF, that screw is in the center of the middle bed. It prevents the top bed from sliding off when it is extended. The screw threads directly into the bed. When an extension is to be added, I think the procedure is to remove the screw, replace the top bed with the extension, and then replace the screw.

There is a taller screw on the right hand side of the bottom bed as you look at it. That screw prevents the middle bed from hitting the body, making it more convenient to fold the camera.

Kumar

Wayne
5-Dec-2013, 06:59
I dont think we've hit on it yet. That screw that prevents the middle section from hitting the body is on the left side, and screws into the outer shell not the rack. The upper rack functions normally and none of the parts slide off so I don't think that's it. Maybe it has something to do with extension rails but I would think they would attach in more than one screw.

I don't know for sure the screw even comes from that hole, it just seems the most likely place for it. I don't see any other missing screws.

B.S.Kumar
5-Dec-2013, 08:22
I've used most of the Wista range of cameras, including the SP, but can't really recollect the details of those screws. Each model was slightly different. Perhaps if you could take a photo, and reduce jpg quality to 15 or 20%, it might make it through to the forum. Or saving it as a png/gif would also help in getting a smaller file size.

Perhaps Ari hasn't yet posted his SP to the buyer, and can enlighten us?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108873-FS-Wista-SP-4x5-camera-with-6x9-Sliding-Back

Kumar

redshift
5-Dec-2013, 11:58
Is this the hole?
I can't see any use in the standard configuration. You can see that it has some wear on it and a skid mark coming and going. The camera has been used with an extension bed but i still don't remember a use for the hole. It is not threaded on my camera.

I just now looked at the extension. Nothing on it at all that would align with this hole.

Ari
5-Dec-2013, 13:07
I'm at a loss to figure out which screw is being referred to; it sounds like a previous owner did a custom job for some reason, and gave up soon after.
If it is the hole in the middle rack, centred at the rear, then Kumar is right, it has a screw that is used to prevent the rack from sliding off at longer extensions.
There's no other screw that I can think of in that vicinity that also uses an unthreaded hole.
This is an understatement, but a photo would really help here.

Ari
5-Dec-2013, 13:10
Perhaps Ari hasn't yet posted his SP to the buyer, and can enlighten us?
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108873-FS-Wista-SP-4x5-camera-with-6x9-Sliding-Back

Kumar

Sorry, Kumar, I'm as fast a shipper as you are. :)

Wayne
5-Dec-2013, 14:52
The hole is indeed the hole that redshift posted, complete with skid marks.

the screw evidently comes from somewhere else, which is sort of what I expected since that hole isn't threaded. Either that or Kumar lost his screw too. I'm the original owner of the camera, and it's never been modified.

Wayne
5-Dec-2013, 14:53
The hole is indeed the hole that redshift posted, complete with skid marks.

the screw evidently comes from somewhere else, which is sort of what I expected since that hole isn't threaded. Either that or Kumar lost his screw (and whatever it threaded into) too. I'm the original owner of the camera, and it's never been modified.

Wayne
5-Dec-2013, 14:54
The problem isnt making the picture small, the problem on Caveman internet is getting into a photo hosting site. I used to be able to but everything is so code heavy these days I can't get in anymore.

Ari
5-Dec-2013, 15:22
I must say, I didn't see that hole on my SP, so I'm afraid I can't be of any help.

Delgins
13-Dec-2013, 01:16
You drill a hole for yourself, or was it there in this state?