PDA

View Full Version : Modifying 5x7 film holders?

deranium
2-Dec-2013, 16:35
I picked up some 5x7 Graphlex film holders. These are wider than standard and have channels cut along the sides.
I am thinking of cutting down the sides so that they will be standard size and will fit my camera back.
Has anyone here done this?
Will it work?

Jim C.
2-Dec-2013, 17:03
I don't have access to my Graflex film holders but from memory I don't think it's worth the hassle, you also have to deal with
the groove that's on the dark slide side of the holders, modern holders have a raised rib.
Sell them and get regular 5x7 holders.

Jon Shiu
2-Dec-2013, 17:04
Perhaps you should just trade them for regular 5x7 holders.

Jon

Jody_S
2-Dec-2013, 17:04
I picked up some 5x7 Graphlex film holders. These are wider than standard and have channels cut along the sides.
I am thinking of cutting down the sides so that they will be standard size and will fit my camera back.
Has anyone here done this?
Will it work?
Please don't. The filmholders you have are for the RB Graflex SLR press camera from 1900-1915 or so, and are far more valuable than a standard 5x7 film holder. Please put them up for sale so that those of us with 5x7 Graflexes can get our proper film holders, and you will get more than enough money to purchase good quality standard 5x7 holders.

Tracy Storer
2-Dec-2013, 20:20
+ Jody S, they are scarce enough you should be able to flip them for the same number or more regular holders.

deranium
3-Dec-2013, 11:22
Ok I'll put them on the For Sale/Wanted forum and see if I can do a deal with someone.
Many thanks for the replies and advice.