PDA

View Full Version : My new 8X10!

Shootar401
2-Dec-2013, 12:43
After a few years of shooing 4x5 I finally made the jump into 8x10. I picked up my new 8x10 earlier and just gave it a good wipe down and inspection. I plan on stopping by B&H in a few days to get some film and bigger trays to try it out. I was thinking Delta 100 & Rodinal. Anyway the camera came with a Georz 6-1/2" Wide Angle Dagor, 5x7 back, extra extension board, case and 14 8x10 Holders.

The shutter needed a lube and servicing, which only took me about 30 minutes. I'm guessing this camera was last used in the early 60's judging by the sheets of Ektachrome 6115 that were still loaded in the holders, and if the notch codes are correct 2 even had sheets of Kodachrome! I can't find any info on the lens, can anybody tell me more? I was hoping for a "normal" 300mm lens, but how is this one good for landscapes?

I paid $150 + my old Yashica TLR for the lot, not too bad.

adelorenzo
2-Dec-2013, 13:05
Nice, the only way to get a better deal on that camera would be at gunpoint!

Ari
2-Dec-2013, 13:19
Stellar price, good starter kit.

Alan Gales
2-Dec-2013, 13:48
Congratulations, you moved up cheap!

I hope you realize that now everything has changed. Your 4x5 ground glass is from here on out going to look small! ;)

BradS
2-Dec-2013, 13:54
WOW! nice camera and a great deal.

Vaughn
2-Dec-2013, 14:02
Great deal!

The lens may be a bit wide for 8x10 -- the coverage may not be there. Would be a great lens for 5x7...and the recessed lens board is nice to have with it.

Try the 150mm and see what it looks like on the GG. For general landscape, a 210mm to 300mm would serve you well. Perhaps you could trade lenses with someone.

Vaughn

Andrew O'Neill
2-Dec-2013, 15:17
Well done!

Cletus
2-Dec-2013, 15:51
$150??!!!?? I'd call that the Steal of the Century! (Pun intended) :) That's a great deal - just the film holders are probably worth twice what you paid for the whole works.

I agree on the lens comments too - If your 6 1/2"~160mm Goerz does completely cover the format, you likely won't have much room for movements. Especially front rise and rear tilt, which unless you're doing nothing but straight portraits, you'll want. Still a nice lens though. I'll bet you wouldn't have too much trouble selling or trading it here in the Classifieds, for something a little longer with a little better coverage for 8x10.

Good luck with the new venture, you'll really be hooked once you see a few of the brilliant contact prints you can get with an 8x10 negative.

sepiareverb
2-Dec-2013, 15:58
Dang. I just paid $45 each for holders and thought I got a deal.

Nicely done!

Michael Kadillak
2-Dec-2013, 16:04
Bravo! Well done. You only need 11x14 trays. I use the very modest dimple bottomed ones and this set up works great. I use an IR monocle to load holders and develop in trays and it works exceptionally well at accomplishing the objective. A good BTZS elastic focusing hood and you will be good to go.

I find that the one lens that I continue to marvel at is the 355 G Claron and as a result this lens comes out of my lens case regularly. If I was being relegated to one lens on 8x10, this one would be my choice.

Tin Can
2-Dec-2013, 16:26
Sweet deal, that must have been a very nice Yashica! ;)

rthollenbeck
2-Dec-2013, 16:56
Looks nice and clean. Make sure your tripod can handle it, if you want to keep it that way! ;) Enjoy.

Vaughn
2-Dec-2013, 17:34
6.5" equals 165mm according to my thingy on the computer desktop, so it is a little longer than I thought. But even at 165mm, it is a bit on the short-side as one's only lens...but it might make for some nice 4"x10" images (centering the lens on the half of the film being exposed with a little rise/fall).

Depending on where you will be photographing, lens speed can come into play. I do a lot of work in the deep dark temperate rain forests (eg, redwoods) and it is nice having f5.6 lenses for viewing on the GG. My 300mm/5.6 is a lot of glass (heavy), but is nice and bright. The 250mm/6.7 is close enough. My 19" RD Artar is a f11 lens, so it is two stops darker than the 300mm on the GG ...makes a difference under the redwoods, but not a big deal out under the full sun.

Some of the modern lighter ~300mm lenses are f9 -- a nice compromise with f/stop vs weight, but without compromising quality...just a little speed.

Roger Thoms
2-Dec-2013, 21:30
Hey just showed your camera to my girl friend and now she's envious. Here's a picture of her B&J 5x7. Congratulations on your new camera, looks like a beauty.

Roger

ImSoNegative
2-Dec-2013, 21:54
wow, what a deal, old burke and james cameras are a bit fussy but once you get used to them they are great users and have more movement capability than much more expensive cameras

goamules
3-Dec-2013, 06:59
Don't sell that lens without trying it and giving it strong consideration! It's one of the best wide angles ever made, and worth a lot. Stopped down it will cover 8x10.

Shootar401
3-Dec-2013, 19:02
Don't sell that lens without trying it and giving it strong consideration! It's one of the best wide angles ever made, and worth a lot. Stopped down it will cover 8x10.

I'm keeping it for sure. I wanted a wide angle eventually and everything I've read bout this lens makes me want to keep it.

BradS
3-Dec-2013, 22:40
Hey just showed your camera to my girl friend and now she's envious. Here's a picture of her B&J 5x7. Congratulations on your new camera, looks like a beauty.

Roger

That's a beauty Roger! Reminds me of one I used to have.... :)

Leszek Vogt
4-Dec-2013, 00:29
Wow, excellent deal, congrats....and you don't have to overhaul it like some of us. :)

Les

jaguar
7-Dec-2013, 05:02
Great deal, nice camera.

ic-racer
7-Dec-2013, 08:27
If you want an inexpensive compact wide 8x10 lens check out the 180mm Fujinon that was listed for sale here.