PDA

View Full Version : Odd Nikon 300mm f9 lens question

john borrelli
1-Dec-2013, 17:45
Has anyone ever noticed that some Nikon 300mm f9 lenses have a part of the lens barrel that covers the area between the front lens cell and the shutter but most don't.

The ebay seller Musahi of Japan has one listed for sale on Ebay that has the part. I purchased a used one years ago that didn't have the black metal ring(?) and the shutter, once I disassembled the lens was full of sand. So I often wondered if the missing part results in dust or sand entering the lens. The German lenses Rodenstock Apo Ronar and Schneider G Clarons have this part as does the Fuji 300 C, which I have owned.

I am presently in the market for a 300mm f9 type lens and I am reconsidering the Nikon. Any comments appreciated.

Ian Greenhalgh
1-Dec-2013, 19:08
300mm process lenses are very common. Which one suits you depends on several factors - do you want one in barrel or one that can be easily put in a shutter? What format do you need it to cover? What's your budget?

If you need one that will go easily in a shutter, then the 305mm G-Claron is probably your best bet. If you don't need the shutter and only need modest coverage, then any coated dialyte type should suffice, these are often available for next to nothing. I have a Wray APO Process Lustrar and a Ross APO Xpres, both 12", I forget if f10 or f11, in barrel, won't fit a shutter, being dialytes, the corrections don't change between closeup and infinity so they shoot very well at distance, coverage is ample for 4x5, don't think they will cover 5x7. They both cost less than 15USD.

BradS
1-Dec-2013, 19:17
The 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M has 4 elements in 3 groups. It is not a process lens. It is a Tessar type design and covers 8x10 easily. It is a very highly regarded lens.

tgtaylor
1-Dec-2013, 20:03
I think all of them are like that. Here's mine purchased new from Jin at Midwest around 2004:

It looks just like the rest of them on ebay.

Thomas

Louis Pacilla
1-Dec-2013, 21:03
Has anyone ever noticed that some Nikon 300mm f9 lenses have a part of the lens barrel that covers the area between the front lens cell and the shutter but most don't.

The ebay seller Musahi of Japan has one listed for sale on Ebay that has the part. I purchased a used one years ago that didn't have the black metal ring(?) and the shutter, once I disassembled the lens was full of sand. So I often wondered if the missing part results in dust or sand entering the lens. The German lenses Rodenstock Apo Ronar and Schneider G Clarons have this part as does the Fuji 300 C, which I have owned.

I am presently in the market for a 300mm f9 type lens and I am reconsidering the Nikon. Any comments appreciated.

Don't think Nikon felt a need to snap the plastic beauty ring on their Nikkor 300 M's Copal 1 shutters. The beauty ring does snap on the 300 M shutter without trouble and looks good but again Nikon chose not to use them on this lens. Kind of strange. Maybe they forgot to snap them on the Copal 1 shutters when the 1st batch went out world wide and since no one complained they just kept going that way to the bitter end?

The couple of new boxed Copal 1 shutters I've had came with the plastic ring in the box but not installed on the shutter body.
Here's photos of my example

Ian Greenhalgh
1-Dec-2013, 21:14
The 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M has 4 elements in 3 groups. It is not a process lens. It is a Tessar type design and covers 8x10 easily. It is a very highly regarded lens.

I never said it was a process lens. I merely said that 300mm process lenses are widely available and very cheap and would offer an alternative.

john borrelli
2-Dec-2013, 14:27
Hello Louis, you have answered my question.

Just one other question, if you feel inclined, do you feel that the lens without the ring compromises the lens at all in terms of dust getting into the lens or shutter. After all, because the front part of the lens is facing out into the elements, (is not behind the lens board), I was thinking it might be an issue.

You have also given me the idea of contacting an SK Grimes type business to see if they have any beauty rings for sale, if I buy another Nikon.