PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 on monopod?

Shootar401
1-Dec-2013, 12:57
Has anybody used a Speed Graphic, or any other press camera on a monopod? I live in NYC and there are a few shots I want to get but the area is a high traffic one and I know as soon as I set up I will be pounced on by park police.

I was thinking of getting a monopod and using it braced against myself or a fence/lamp post to get some longer 1 to 1/15 exposures. I was also thinking of a double ended Super Clamp that I could use to clamp a monopod to a fence for longer exposures. I think it gets around the tripod rule and is not permanent so I don't "think" it would be an issue.

Any input?

MonkeyBrain
1-Dec-2013, 13:13
I dont know NYC rules, but in some places that dont allow tripods in public places its enough that the tripod is not in contact with the sidewalk (i.e place something else under each leg).

superclamp sounds like a good way round it too though.

BrianShaw
1-Dec-2013, 13:33
SG on monopod works great, but don't get your hope up about the long exposures. That is not a reasonable expectation.

Lachlan 717
1-Dec-2013, 14:02
Why not prefocus the camera on a tripod and do quick sorties in the park? You might be able to do a few shots over an hour or two without being hassled.

And never forget the creed of the Middle Manager: "It's far easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission". Until you're actually hassled by "authority", you're going to be able to get some images.

Perhaps you could consider using Graflex film holders to speed things up and also to make hiding exposed film easier if it comes to that?

BradS
1-Dec-2013, 14:59
I've used a monopod with my Crown Graphic a few times. It works perfectly fine as long as you're not too worried about precision composition/framing. I treat the monopod as a way to shoot handheld at slower shutter speeds - back up a little bit (give some room for framing errors), stop down to f/22, focus with the range finder and compose with the peep site view finder.

Shootar401
1-Dec-2013, 15:13
I use my Speed as it was intended, handheld, focus with the rangefinder, fire the flashbulb and trip the solenoid. But I've been running into situation lately where I can't use a bulb or I want a longer exposure. But I don't want to lug around a tripod. I'll try and pick one up this week and give it a shot.

jp
1-Dec-2013, 15:29
I have used a monopod with my speed graphic. It's more portable. You don't get long exposures. It's more of a tool to fix the camera's height and focus. If you keep the base of the monopod in the same spot, and the composition roughly the same, you will maintain accurate focus while using the ground glass to focus, getting the film in, setting the shutter speed, etc...

smithdoor
1-Dec-2013, 16:07
Sound like job for tripod cane or use a faster film
The other way put the tripod in a truck or car.
I will say did not know of a ban on tripods I live state that ok to wake on street with gun on your side

Good luck
Dave

Has anybody used a Speed Graphic, or any other press camera on a monopod? I live in NYC and there are a few shots I want to get but the area is a high traffic one and I know as soon as I set up I will be pounced on by park police.

I was thinking of getting a monopod and using it braced against myself or a fence/lamp post to get some longer 1 to 1/15 exposures. I was also thinking of a double ended Super Clamp that I could use to clamp a monopod to a fence for longer exposures. I think it gets around the tripod rule and is not permanent so I don't "think" it would be an issue.

Any input?